Menu

How to un-bind and 3-hole punch books?

I have taken a few books to Kinko's and had them cut off the bindings and had my books bound with the plastic coil binding so the books would lie flat. I'm pretty sure that they can cut off the bindings and 3 hole punch your books for you. Be sure by calling ahead.

I hope this helps.:001_smile:

I do mine myself. I just lay the book out and really crease it down. Then I start at the front or back and just gently start ripping out from the binding, page by page. Oftentimes I'll use a razorblade to slice some of the binding (glue). I usually don't have any problems and it's cheaper for me.

I get mine done at a locally run print shop. It's inexpensive, like $1 a book, and then they'll drill it. You have to be careful with really thick books, because it takes a special machine that some of the big places don't have. Thin books can be done on any machine, but you don't want them to mess up your really thick ones. (I've just heard the stories.)

Be careful about drilling stuff. You might end up realizing you liked the workbooks better whole. I did, AFTER I ripped out half the pages in my dd's math one year. :(

I second being careful about the larger books. Just be sure to check it before you pay for it. I have taken a couple of books to Office Depot by my house, and they mess them up everytime. The last time they cut the binding crooked, and then drilled holes into the words on the page. :glare:

I do mine myself. I just lay the book out and really crease it down. Then I start at the front or back and just gently start ripping out from the binding, page by page. Oftentimes I'll use a razorblade to slice some of the binding (glue). I usually don't have any problems and it's cheaper for me.

I do this (razor blade)! My husband says I'm insane. . .

It is cheaper, but it takes an immense amount of time (especially if it's a thick book). But, I usually sit down to do it whilst watching a tv program. . .

I second being careful about the larger books. Just be sure to check it before you pay for it. I have taken a couple of books to Office Depot by my house, and they mess them up everytime. The last time they cut the binding crooked, and then drilled holes into the words on the page. :glare:

Do you have any recourse if they mess it up? I can see not paying for it, but what about the book itself? I just ordered & received SOTW vol. 1 & 2, original/unrevised. Vol. 2 was available in spiral bound, but vol. 1 was not, so I got the paperback, hoping to have it spiral bound like vol. 2. Office Depot is the place closest to us. We have Staples about 20+ min. away.

Do you have any recourse if they mess it up? I can see not paying for it, but what about the book itself? I just ordered & received SOTW vol. 1 & 2, original/unrevised. Vol. 2 was available in spiral bound, but vol. 1 was not, so I got the paperback, hoping to have it spiral bound like vol. 2. Office Depot is the place closest to us. We have Staples about 20+ min. away.

Agh. I just had this happen last week at Office Max. They totally messed up on cutting the binding off - but it was just a small section. I called the manager up immediately because I was so livid. He actually did offer to purchase a replacement but I didn't feel right about it because the book was still usable. (A small section was cut too short but didn't render the book useless.) I told him I was not paying for it and left. I might talk to my husband about doing the miter saw thing...interesting. This is the reason I do everything myself. :lol: