Menu

Weight loss slow...

Since Feb. I've been eating better and exercising. I've lost 6 pounds, that's it. I really watched my eating this week and exercised every day (either a good cardio video or jogging 2 miles and walking 1, plus a couple days of strength work, abs), and I'm still at 6 pounds. Can anyone offer any suggestions on what I need to do to get the pounds off quicker? I know it takes time, but I really thought I would see at least 2 more pounds off this week and I want to see that consistently. I can feel a difference, but I want to see the scale move! :)

I've lost 23 pounds since January 1. It wasn't a New Year's resolution or anything. Actually, we got the children a Wii Fit for Christmas. Man, it's hard to see your weight up there on the tv screen, kwim?

Anyway, the major things I've been doing differently:

I aim to eat 5 times a day, about 2 1/2 hours apart. This is great for my metabolism.

I loathe exercise, but doing the Wii Fit is actually fun. And I make a point of playing outside with my boys as often as possible.

I keep track of every calorie I eat. I write it down. That way, no 'cheating'

I don't eat sweets. Well, I eat very few sweets. :)

We now eat brown rice instead of white, 100% whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat crackers, and lots more fresh fruit and vegetables than before. Basically, I've revamped the family's eating habits. Surprisingly, everyone seems to be enjoying it!

I quit drinking pop. I had a BAD pop habit. I'd drink at least two glasses a day. I was addicted to the caffiene. That one feels great to be done with. I do still have it every once in a while as a treat, but it's one glass every week or two.

I have set a goal of calories-per-day for myself. Obviously, this is different for everyone, depending on things like level of physical activity, etc.

I never, NEVER eat after dinner. Not even a 'tiny' snack. Nothing at all except water. And, here in the midwest, we eat dinner early. Dinner is on the table when my husband gets home from work at 5pm. And I usually try to go to bed around 11. So that's 6 hours between dinner and bed. This has been the biggest struggle for me, but it was a bad habit that I needed to break.

Hope something here helps. The main thing is to keep it up; you'll be healthier if you eat healthier and exercise, plain and simple; no matter if the scale moves or not.

Are you getting enough to eat? Eating too little will make your metabolism crawl. I have heard it recommended that once per week, eat a high calorie meal to keep your metabolism from thinking you are starving.

In any case, can you step up the exercise? I have found that using the circuit style of exercise has been the most effective for me. You can make anything into circuit style. For example, if you are on a walk, walk normally for 5 minutes, then walk as fast as you can for 3, then back to normal for 3-5, and back and forth. You get so much more benefit from the same amount of time.

HTH

I've lost 23 pounds since January 1. It wasn't a New Year's resolution or anything. Actually, we got the children a Wii Fit for Christmas. Man, it's hard to see your weight up there on the tv screen, kwim?

Anyway, the major things I've been doing differently:

I aim to eat 5 times a day, about 2 1/2 hours apart. This is great for my metabolism.

I loathe exercise, but doing the Wii Fit is actually fun. And I make a point of playing outside with my boys as often as possible.

I keep track of every calorie I eat. I write it down. That way, no 'cheating'

I don't eat sweets. Well, I eat very few sweets. :)

We now eat brown rice instead of white, 100% whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat crackers, and lots more fresh fruit and vegetables than before. Basically, I've revamped the family's eating habits. Surprisingly, everyone seems to be enjoying it!

I quit drinking pop. I had a BAD pop habit. I'd drink at least two glasses a day. I was addicted to the caffiene. That one feels great to be done with. I do still have it every once in a while as a treat, but it's one glass every week or two.

I have set a goal of calories-per-day for myself. Obviously, this is different for everyone, depending on things like level of physical activity, etc.

I never, NEVER eat after dinner. Not even a 'tiny' snack. Nothing at all except water. And, here in the midwest, we eat dinner early. Dinner is on the table when my husband gets home from work at 5pm. And I usually try to go to bed around 11. So that's 6 hours between dinner and bed. This has been the biggest struggle for me, but it was a bad habit that I needed to break.

Hope something here helps. The main thing is to keep it up; you'll be healthier if you eat healthier and exercise, plain and simple; no matter if the scale moves or not.

Thanks for sharing. :) It helped to see what someone else is doing to get ideas and inspiration.

Are you getting enough to eat? Eating too little will make your metabolism crawl. I have heard it recommended that once per week, eat a high calorie meal to keep your metabolism from thinking you are starving.

In any case, can you step up the exercise? I have found that using the circuit style of exercise has been the most effective for me. You can make anything into circuit style. For example, if you are on a walk, walk normally for 5 minutes, then walk as fast as you can for 3, then back to normal for 3-5, and back and forth. You get so much more benefit from the same amount of time.

HTH

Thanks for the idea. I have been wondering if my body is gaining muscle and that's why I'm stagnant for now. Maybe I'll lose more later as more fat is turned into muscle. I need Bob or Jillian!

Thanks for the idea. I have been wondering if my body is gaining muscle and that's why I'm stagnant for now. Maybe I'll lose more later as more fat is turned into muscle. I need Bob or Jillian!

Oh, and don't forget that you are looking for *inches lost*, not numbers on the scale coming down. When you are gaining muscle and losing fat, you cannot get an accurate view of things unless you just go by your waist size and how your clothes fit.

Oh, and don't forget that you are looking for *inches lost*, not numbers on the scale coming down. When you are gaining muscle and losing fat, you cannot get an accurate view of things unless you just go by your waist size and how your clothes fit.

:iagree:

Instead of weight or with it track your inches. It really makes you feel better when soemthing is happening and it normally always shows through inches.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

:iagree:

Instead of weight or with it track your inches. It really makes you feel better when soemthing is happening and it normally always shows through inches.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Thanks for responding. I know I've lost inches. I didn't take measurements before because if I get too serious about it, I sabotage myself. I just made a lifestyle change and am waiting to get the results I want, whenever that happens. That's also why I don't track calories, just have changed everything and know it's better. (I eat fruits, veggies, protein, nuts, nothing "white", no sweets, haven't drunk sodas in years, etc.) If it's "too much" for me, I will get bogged down by the details and fail. (can you tell I've tried this before!!!!) But, I do know that I've lost inches and am improving because I can tell by my clothes and just the way I feel. I feel smaller. I've been keeping myself inspired by watching the Biggest Loser and a TLC program called I Lost It! so that I can see other people who are more overweight than me making a great difference in their life and if they can do, I have no excuse! I want to lose 30-40 pounds and most of those people have over 100 to lose. I know they are working out hours and hours every day and gaining muscle, but they are also losing pounds too. I'm wanting to know what I'm doing wrong so I can see pounds lost too. I'm committed because I'm done being the weight I am and ready to be back to "me". I haven't weighed a normal number since kids and my youngest is 6 years, not months. :) It's time to get it done already. Thanks for the post.

If you have any pollen or mold allergies, you may also have some hidden food allergies.

My weight dropped without much work at all once I started eating foods I was allergic to.

If you have some regular allergies, let me know and I'll give you detailed advice on how to do an allergy elimination diet.

My weight dropped without much work at all once I started eating foods I was allergic to.

If you have some regular allergies, let me know and I'll give you detailed advice on how to do an allergy elimination diet.

Do you mean stopped eating foods you are allergic to?

I have grass pollen, some tree pollen, cat, and dust mite allergies. What would you suggest I change in my diet?

Thanks!

How many inches have you lost? The frustrating thing about excercising to "lose" weight is that muscle weighs more than fat. Therefore you may have lost 10 lbs of fat but put on 4 lbs of muscle.

This recomendation may seem strange after the previous paragraph, but you may want to build more muscles. Muscles burn calories even while you sleep, where as fat doesn't.

Guest smilingmamax5

I have lost 80 lbs since August 07. It took me a good year to get it off but by golly I did it. What I found is that for the weight you lose, you must adjust your calorie intake. Another helpful thing, and I can't remember for the life of me where I found it, but I used a BMI calculator to find out my calorie intake and it adjusted itself with the amount of exercising I was doing. So for my height, age, weight and exercising, I can safely consume 1300 calories and maintain.(Be careful, some of those will tell you a crazy amount of calories you can consume, some told me I could consume 2300 calories, if I did that I would gain fast!) I am down to 112 lbs! Yay me! But it was a long, long road and a lot of sacrifice. I still allow myself my treats, but if I fall off the wagon, I get right back on. From October to December 30th I put on 15 lbs, from all the holiday cookies. I went up to 130. So I hammered down and started again and I lost 4 1/2 inches around my waist in just two months.

Stick to your guns and it will pay off, drink plenty of water too! I wish I could get to the point of eating 5 small meals a day but I usually get in 3 with a snack when I'm feeling hungry. Smoothies are great meal replacements. I do my own with 1/2 cup skim milk, nonfat flavored yogurt, frozen banana, frozen extra fruit of some kind (depends on flavor of yogurt), flax seed and protein powder, blend it till smooth and enjoy. Sometimes when I get a craving, I'll put a teaspoon of natural peanut butter in.

6 pounds in about 6 weeks? Not all that bad since 2 pounds a week is the max you can loose safely unless you are really obese. Just keep going, plowing through, it'll keep going in the right direction, maybe even pick up. An ditto on the inches and muscle points pp's made.

The Biggest Loser has done real world people a disservice, making us think anyone can loose 10 pounds a week! lol!

6 pounds in about 6 weeks? Not all that bad since 2 pounds a week is the max you can loose safely unless you are really obese. Just keep going, plowing through, it'll keep going in the right direction, maybe even pick up. An ditto on the inches and muscle points pp's made.

The Biggest Loser has done real world people a disservice, making us think anyone can loose 10 pounds a week! lol!

Oh, no, I know they are practically working out all day long, every day, so I definitely don't compare myself to that. Don't worry, I'm realistic. :) They do keep me inspired by how much they work out and push themselves! It pushes me to work out, that's for sure. Thanks for the reminder that 1-2 pounds per week is normal and healthy. I'm just so ready to see the scale move! I'm impatient, that's why I'm still trying to lose these awful 40 pounds!

I have lost 80 lbs since August 07. It took me a good year to get it off but by golly I did it. What I found is that for the weight you lose, you must adjust your calorie intake. Another helpful thing, and I can't remember for the life of me where I found it, but I used a BMI calculator to find out my calorie intake and it adjusted itself with the amount of exercising I was doing. So for my height, age, weight and exercising, I can safely consume 1300 calories and maintain.(Be careful, some of those will tell you a crazy amount of calories you can consume, some told me I could consume 2300 calories, if I did that I would gain fast!) I am down to 112 lbs! Yay me! But it was a long, long road and a lot of sacrifice. I still allow myself my treats, but if I fall off the wagon, I get right back on. From October to December 30th I put on 15 lbs, from all the holiday cookies. I went up to 130. So I hammered down and started again and I lost 4 1/2 inches around my waist in just two months.

Stick to your guns and it will pay off, drink plenty of water too! I wish I could get to the point of eating 5 small meals a day but I usually get in 3 with a snack when I'm feeling hungry. Smoothies are great meal replacements. I do my own with 1/2 cup skim milk, nonfat flavored yogurt, frozen banana, frozen extra fruit of some kind (depends on flavor of yogurt), flax seed and protein powder, blend it till smooth and enjoy. Sometimes when I get a craving, I'll put a teaspoon of natural peanut butter in.

Good for you! I know you are so proud of yourself for accomplishing such a hard thing. I make smoothies every day, but I have been thinking I might need to add protein powder just to be sure I'm getting enough protein. Does protein powder add calories?

Do you mean stopped eating foods you are allergic to?

I have grass pollen, some tree pollen, cat, and dust mite allergies. What would you suggest I change in my diet?

Thanks!

Yes, I meant stopped!

I would try an allergy elimination diet. If you are going to see results, you'll see results within 10 days. It's a strict diet, and eating even 1/16 teaspoonful of anything you may be allergic to will negate the effects of the diet, so you can't cheat on it if you want it to work, but the strict part is for 10 days, after that you get to test to see what you're allergic to and add things back in. If you are allergic to some foods, you will feel worse for 3 or 4 days, with headaches and tiredness, then will feel better than you have for a while.

You can get a few good ideas by googling "allergy elimination diet." Basically, you need to avoid the most commonly allergic foods plus anything you eat more than once a week. The Canadian list is more extensive than the U.S. list to avoid:

"peanuts, tree nuts, sesame seeds, milk, eggs, seafood (fish, crustaceans and shellfish), soy, wheat, and sulphites (a food additive)."

You also need to avoid anything in a package or box and beef and pork, and the only thing you get to drink is water, no spices, no sugars.

You can eat chicken and turkey and lamb, but it's even better if you eat game meat--venison, buffalo, quail, etc. Fry them up in olive or canola oil or bake in the oven.

For starches, sweet potatoes, non-gluten grains you've never eaten before like teff flour or millet flour, also taro (taro root is at asian stores or some health food stores).

For veggies, you can have squash, lettuce, spinach, frozen collard greens (not the kind in a can, the ones in a can have added spices). No salad dressing, just plain lettuce. You can add pure oil to the lettuce if you want, but no vinegar until the add back period.

Fruits: pears, any strange fruits you don't normally eat like starfruit, mango. No strawberries or blueberries or oranges or apples.

You should also rotate foods, eating the same meat, starch, and veggie all day long and then a different one the next day. You won't get breakfast food with this diet, just eat lunch/dinner type food for all 3 meals. I would eat a bit of meat with your "breakfast" so you will stay full longer and not crave a snack (there are no stack type foods you can eat on this diet, however, you could eat 10 meals a day as long as you only eat the things you are allowed eat--for example, you could eat lamb, pears, and plain lettuce all day long if those were your foods for the day.)

I lost the most weight when I was eating pure game meat (ordered from exotic meats and D'Artagnon) and eating some very strange non-gluten grains (malanga, true yam flour, artichoke flour) from the health food store and from a company called special foods. However, that was also a lot more expensive. I lost 25 pounds with the initial diet, then 20 more when I switched to the game meats and exotic grains. (And, I was eating as much as I wanted--in fact, I kept adding more oil trying to make my food taste a little better! I also just stopped wanting as much food when I wasn't eating food I was allergic to.)

If you find out you are allergic to foods, I would switch to a 7 day rotation diet. I tried a non-strict 4 to 5 day rotation and started becoming allergic to a lot of new foods, I wish I would have tried a 7 day rotation diet from the start.

Edited by ElizabethB

And when I say journal, I mean to measure everything (1/2 c. milk 1 tsp. sugar, etc.). Sometimes you're eating more than you should be, and even if you exercise your calorie intake might be too high. Or perhaps you're not eating things that keep you filled. I do Weight Watchers, and if I am religious about writing things down then I usually take off about 2 lbs a week, if I'm not then I either gain or lose .8 lbs, a huge difference. Like you I am an exerciser, but it has taken me since November to lose 15 pounds, and I have 25 to go. For some people it just isn't easy, but the more you practice writing down what you eat then the easier it gets.