Menu

Cold sores prescription?

I am a cold sore sufferer and it is annoying and embarrassing! I have my second one and it's only been a few weeks. I can usually pinpoint why I get one, but this one I can't. I take Lysine daily to prevent them, and have for several years, but it doesn't seem to be working here lately. I think there is a prescription you can take to prevent them. Does it work well? Is it worth taking?

Prescription Acyclovir is wonderful for cold sores. It isn't terribly expensive, but I would call around for the best price because it varies wildly from store to store. If you take it at the first sign of outbreak it can have you clear in 1-4 days from beginning to very end. If you take it in the middle of the outbreak it will usually prevent new ones from forming.

Ask you doctor or dentist to prescribe it for you. It will make a Huge difference.

Zovirax is a cream that is used, it is more expensive, but is topical so people who prefer to not ingest medications like it. It is not as effective as the acyclovir but is effective. It is Very expensive...expect about $100 per ounce.

Valtrex is another tablet that is used for lesions. It is brand only and is very expensive. It is the most effective of the two (acyclovir/Valtrex) for genital sores. But not necessarily more effective on oral lesions. I would not start with Valtrex if you have not tried acyclovir first.

Poor thing. Your immune system might be a little taxed right now, for whatever reason. L-Lysine didn't seem to help me, though I have taken it anyway. I have found a couple tricks that have really shortened their duration. I am not huge on over the counter remedies...but "Abreva" is definitely worth the $ for keeping a cycle under control but must be used as early as posssible for best results. It can greatly the reduce duration. In addition to any multi-vitamin you may already be taking...try this: LOTS of B-complex (100mg total daily/smaller amounts frequently or time-released), Beta Carotene (50,000 - 75,000 IU taken throughout the day), Vitamin C (3,000 mg daily) REALLY help your body detoxify and fight to suppress the cycle. I always use vitamin E (perl cap or oil) applied topically during the drying stage. There is a homeopathic called Herplex I have on hand for my next bout. I haven't tried it yet but have read rave reviews.

FWIW,

Geo

Edited by Geo
info

Prescription Acyclovir is wonderful for cold sores. It isn't terribly expensive, but I would call around for the best price because it varies wildly from store to store. If you take it at the first sign of outbreak it can have you clear in 1-4 days from beginning to very end. If you take it in the middle of the outbreak it will usually prevent new ones from forming.

Ask you doctor or dentist to prescribe it for you. It will make a Huge difference.

Zovirax is a cream that is used, it is more expensive, but is topical so people who prefer to not ingest medications like it. It is not as effective as the acyclovir but is effective. It is Very expensive...expect about $100 per ounce.

Valtrex is another tablet that is used for lesions. It is brand only and is very expensive. It is the most effective of the two (acyclovir/Valtrex) for genital sores. But not necessarily more effective on oral lesions. I would not start with Valtrex if you have not tried acyclovir first.

Thanks for all the info. I do prefer natural, but this is getting irritating and I'm willing to try something else if it continues. I only suffer from oral cold sores, thankfully.

Poor thing. Your immune system might be a little taxed right now, for whatever reason. L-Lysine didn't seem to help me, though I have taken it anyway. I have found a couple tricks that have really shortened their duration. I am not huge on over the counter remedies...but "Abreva" is definitely worth the $ for keeping a cycle under control but must be used as early as posssible for best results. It can greatly the reduce duration. In addition to any multi-vitamin you may already be taking...try this: LOTS of B-complex (100mg total daily/smaller amounts frequently or time-released), Beta Carotene (50,000 - 75,000 IU taken throughout the day), Vitamin C (3,000 mg daily) REALLY help your body detoxify and fight to suppress the cycle. I always use vitamin E (perl cap or oil) applied topically during the drying stage. There is a homeopathic called Herplex I have on hand for my next bout. I haven't tried it yet but have read rave reviews.

FWIW,

Geo

Thanks for the reminder of what else to take, naturally, during a break out. I do use Abreva, Super Lysine, but I forgot about extra vit. c and b-complex. Just took some! :) I'll remember Herplex, too, I haven't heard of it.

When I eat too much citrus I'm more likely to get a cold sore (and of course, anytime my immune system is down like after a cold).

The only thing that consistently works for me when I feel that little tingle on my lip is a tea bag. If I catch it at the tingle stage, it does the trick, but I don't know about once the cold sore actually shows up (been a while since I had to worry about that). I just let it sit in hot water for a minute (just until saturated) then hold it on my lip throughout the day (5-10 minutes on, every 30 minutes to an hour, changing the tea bag a few times).

Take up to 50,000 IU per day. It's best to take in small amounts throughout the day, by that I mean upon awakening until retiring. You will really notice the difference. Eating healthy is great, but once your body is out of whack fighting these things you'll benefit from

the extra antioxidants.

Geo

I second the acyclovir!

A couple of my kids were getting cold sores a LOT. We tried Abreva (worked okay), lysine, vit C, etc. I finally took them in to the doc and got a prescription for Acyclovir. Wow - the sores they had went away within a few days and now they very rarely get cold sores.

Zovirax is what I have and it is a miracle! I got a tube 3 years ago before our 2 1/2 yr old was born and just emptied it recently. The tube I have is really tiny and was $40 with no insurance. If I can get a tiny bit of it on the spot that is tingling then I never get a fever blister. Amazing. This from someone who doesn't get just one at a time but usually covering her whole mouth. No doubt one of the absolute best $40 I had ever spent. I have a brand new tube now waiting on me if I were to need it. :)

I will say the first thing that ever helped me was taking Lysine for about a year and half back after high school. That was the first time I didn't have at least twice a year my mouth was covered in them. I highly recommend taking Lysine and getting a prescription for Zovirax.

One thing you may want to try is Hydrogen Peroxide solution. Try dropping a bit on the cold sore when you first notice it starting and then repeating that. Obviously, you don't want to ingest it. But H2O2 is amazing stuff. It's worth a try if you can't get a prescription right away.

Anita

I am a cold sore sufferer and it is annoying and embarrassing! I have my second one and it's only been a few weeks. I can usually pinpoint why I get one, but this one I can't. I take Lysine daily to prevent them, and have for several years, but it doesn't seem to be working here lately. I think there is a prescription you can take to prevent them. Does it work well? Is it worth taking?

Have you tried topical lysine? That's worked here even when the pills have failed.

http://www.vitacost.com/Quantum-Super-Lysine-Cold-Stick-Tube-Lip-Protector-Cold-Sore-Treatment