Menu

ISO: A Great Book for a Woman

I'm looking for something inspirational -- not necessarily in the spiritual sense -- but something that inspires me to enjoy life -- to embrace it.

I'm sure I'm making no sense. It can be fiction or non-fiction.

I'm looking for something that is NOT about serving my family -- nothing on being a better wife or mother.

Thanks!

I know there were mixed reviews on here for "Eat, Pray, Love", but I really enjoyed it. The book made me lol, and the author's joy of life shone through her story, imo. It sounds goofy, but it's one of those books that made me smile while reading it, feeling good about the world around me when I put it down. Kwim?

Don't know if that's even in the ballpark of what you're looking for, but I figured I would toss the idea out there.

I know there were mixed reviews on here for "Eat, Pray, Love", but I really enjoyed it. The book made me lol, and the author's joy of life shone through her story, imo. It sounds goofy, but it's one of those books that made me smile while reading it, feeling good about the world around me when I put it down. Kwim?

Don't know if that's even in the ballpark of what you're looking for, but I figured I would toss the idea out there.

Thank you! I don't even know what I'm looking for. All I know is, I don't want to read another thing that tells me what more I can be doing or how I'm not doing something right.

I just want to feel alive and passionate.

Thank you! I don't even know what I'm looking for. All I know is, I don't want to read another thing that tells me what more I can be doing or how I'm not doing something right.

I just want to feel alive and passionate.

Well, give the book a try then, lol. I'm a firm believer that laughter & smiling are uplifting for the soul. Find something that appeals to your sense of humor, then take the time & enjoy it.

:grouphug:

The Shack might do it for you. It seems to work for some people. It didn't change my life or anything, but it did make me consider my views of God. It was intereseting. . . not vital doctrine in my book, but an encounter with someone else's view of God might liven up your own walk. Hang in there. Life is full of seasons.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Well, not written for a woman, but James Herriot's books are fun to read and inspire me to enjoy life.

I really don't care for books written directly to women as encouragement. They depress me.

Gift From The Sea is a great book--I thought it very inspiring, but it's not the passionate, embrace life kind, exactly.

I haven't read it, but what about that book that's based on the last lecture of the professor with the terminal illness? (Ok, it doesn't sound uplifting, but it's supposed to be awesome!)

Gift From The Sea is a great book--I thought it very inspiring, but it's not the passionate, embrace life kind, exactly.

I haven't read it, but what about that book that's based on the last lecture of the professor with the terminal illness? (Ok, it doesn't sound uplifting, but it's supposed to be awesome!)

It's called The Last Lecture, and it is uplifting.

Escape into the world the Christian thriller with Ted Dekker. His Circle series is a fun, exciting read! Start with "Black," you will love it! It's one of my all-time favorite books, and you will get lost in the story.

I'm with you on the Christian woman advice, advice, advice stuff. It is very people focused, instead of God-focused. Plus, it gets legalistic and discouraging. If I hear one more thing about the Prov 31 woman..OY!:glare:

Alright, I have to vote completely against Eat, Pray, Love. Hated it.

The book Room of Marvels was amazing though. I was very much inspired by that book. The idea that everything we do has an effect, not just being a good mom or good wife was exactly what I needed to hear. (that's not the theme of the book - rather how we don't know the effect we are having sometimes and may never know)

I just purchased The 4:8 Principle last week at Barnes & Noble and I LOVE it. It's all about finding joy and contentment and passion and inspiration without needing to "do" anything. (You'll see what I mean when you read the book.) It has been very inspiring for me and within 2 days of beginning to read it, I felt .... different. I love it!