Menu

American history alone vs. Embedded into World History...

Heather in VA

At some point I want to do some American History "alone" work and World history of the Early Modern and Modern time periods. If I wanted to do these separately (rather than stop during the world history to emphasize American) which would you recommend during the grammar stage and which during the logic?

I'm leaning toward the World History for the logic stage but I'm not completely sure.

Thoughts?

Heather

I really think that the way SOTW 3 and 4 are set up, your primary emphasis is on the USA, but you get it within the context of what was going on in the rest of the world at that time, as well. That said, if you want to stop and do just American history for a year in seventh or eighth, and do an early modern/modern "world" during the other year, I think you'd get pretty much the same results.

Regena

gr.8 am hx; or do am. & world together for 3 years gr. 6-8

Our plan:

gr. 6 SOTW 1 & 2, w/ IEW Ancient History and Med. Writing Lessons; along with Guerber books and others

gr. 7 SOTW 3, w/ A History of Us books 1-5 and IEW U.S. Based Writing Lessons

gr. 8 SOTW 4, w/ A Hx. of Us books 6-10 and IEW U.S. Hx. Lessons v2

...Early American history in the grammar stage for both kids. I'm really enjoying the great variety of books available, many for younger readers, too. For American history, we do a lot of read-alouds and independent reading, kind of Sonlight-style, but using the Beautiful Feet curriculum as our spine (w/a bunch of extra books...from Sonlight, Veritas, & other booklists).

We're also doing world history as a separate course (not correlated at all w/American history) -- SOTW-1 w/AG. All we do for this is read the passage in SOTW-1, do the discussion questions and narration activity, do the timeline cards, and do some of the activity worksheets. We rarely do the supplemental reading, and I have no plans to do any hands-on activities.

Next year we will most likely do Medieval times/Middle ages, continuing SOTW-2 as our world history, but with supplemental readings, too. I like how SOTW is flexible like this.

So, yes, I really like doing American history, esp. early American history, in the younger years, when so many great books for that age group are available. We'll hit the more modern American history later on.

HTH!

...Early American history in the grammar stage for both kids. I'm really enjoying the great variety of books available, many for younger readers, too. For American history, we do a lot of read-alouds and independent reading, kind of Sonlight-style, but using the Beautiful Feet curriculum as our spine (w/a bunch of extra books...from Sonlight, Veritas, & other booklists).

We're also doing world history as a separate course (not correlated at all w/American history) -- SOTW-1 w/AG. All we do for this is read the passage in SOTW-1, do the discussion questions and narration activity, do the timeline cards, and do some of the activity worksheets. We rarely do the supplemental reading, and I have no plans to do any hands-on activities.

Next year we will most likely do Medieval times/Middle ages, continuing SOTW-2 as our world history, but with supplemental readings, too. I like how SOTW is flexible like this.

So, yes, I really like doing American history, esp. early American history, in the younger years, when so many great books for that age group are available. We'll hit the more modern American history later on.

HTH!

This is what I'm doing with my youngest. We just have two different histories going at all times, and switch off.

I don't think it matters if you do your detailed american history study early or late elementary. If you wait until fully into junior high (7th, 8th like your dd), their logic and connection-making processes will be in full-swing and it won't be enough. (You'll want the world added at that point so they can see connections.) I'm also starting to realize that the late elementary timetable of VP for a detailed study of american has some advantages. At that point they're ready to tackle it academically and deal with all the detail you really want them to learn, rather than just glossing over it and calling it fun the way a lower elementary would.

Heather, have you seen the Eggleston books? You could use them as a once a week survey while you continue your NTGR/MARR time. Or do Time Travelers on Fridays. Or have her read something else. It's NOT a problem to wait on detailed american history. Kids doing american really young aren't retaining that much anyway most likely, just a bunch of fun memories and vaguaries. It's better to do something WELL than to do a lot of things cursorily. You also have to consider that you've finally found how she learns best, with a clear outline so she can see the big picture. I think if you just read a spine, she's not going to get that and might not have much retention. She's already studied so much american history--what are you worried about??? She's been through Abeka4 and knows the states and capitals. Do you have relatives quizzing her??? I think she's FINE and knows plenty of american history for her age. You should just keep on the path that's working and not be so worried. :)

I agree with the other posters who are doing two histories at once, if you can work it in time-wise. We are doing parallel World History and Islamic History, which at this point (Middle Ages) is pretty much World History and Middle East History. I considered separating them out and doing them different years, for example, but I felt that the points where the "western world" and the "islamic world" intersected were too critical history-wise to put off one or the other, so we are moving along mostly independently until there's a crossover between the two. I think the same might be true if you were studying American history instead.. I mean, events in world history impacted eents in American history, so it all kind of overlaps at times, right?

But this assumes the timing will work out.. it can be draining working in all that history (draining for me, history is my kids' favorite subject, lol).

hth

Kate

Have you looked at My Father's World Expl-1850 and 1850-Modern? Or even Rome to Reformation... these all include both world and American history simultaneously. EX1850 and 1850MOD have a supplemental package available for younger kids to do a fun, simple overview of American history alongside the older sibling(s), especially if they're not yet ready for the detail and abstract learning of world history which includes the beliefs and lifestyles of ancient mythologies.

Here's a link to the EX1850 page.... but be sure to check out the RTR and 1850-MOD pages, too. You can print out sample lessons from each and compare them side by side.

http://www.mfwbooks.com/exploration.htm

Thanks everyone. We are moving to a "two histories at once" approach so that's why I'm trying to figure out how best to do the American side of it. It sounds like there are so many good things for grammar stage that are primarily American that it makes sense to worry about the World approach later, especially since by then she'll have done more Ancient and Middle Ages work through the other history track.

Thanks

Heather

We're doing both, a la LCC and, kind of, Ambleside Online. I chose to do world history several days a week (nearly 8yo son, SOTW2; 12yo son History Odyssey Middle Ages). For each of our other history-like areas, they read for 10-20 minutes once or twice a week (American history, British history, Christian studies, the ancient world).

So, for American history they both read a couple of small sections of This Country of Ours, which we'll read over two years!, as well as enrichment books -- where the fun is! My younger son also reads American folk tales and picture book bios of national figures such as George Washington & Benjamin Franklin.

In addition, I use the national holidays and events to cover other aspects of the USA... elections, MLKJr Day, Thanksgiving, Veterans Day, etc.

There is so much complexity in US history, that to only do a focused study in elementary would be a waste. The arguments of whether the Civil War was about slavery or states rights will go over the head of most elementary stage students. Would you even cover the Trail of Tears with elementary students, much less go into the detail of what can happen when the checks and balances written into the constitution are ignored? No, If you're only going to do one year focussed on American history, I wouldn't do it during the elementary years.

The good books written for elementary can easily be read during the summer or in conjuntion with SOTW. Save American History for logic or even retoric stage students.