Menu

Latin with a younger student?

Kfamily

Dd is in K this year. I have Song School Latin for next year (1st) but was wondering what she could use as a 2nd grader. I don't care for Prima Latina but could use it if needed. I like the idea of using Lively Latin. I think Plaid Dad used it for a little while with his dd when she was younger.

What do you use for Latin with a younger student?

Thank you!

There seems to be a gap between SSL and the starting point of every other program. I'm thinking we'll do Minimus slowly and without the TM and then maybe after another year she'll be ready for LfC.

I wanted to do Level B of Latin's Not So Tough, but it's received horrible reviews here on the boards. :001_huh:

I can't say from experience because we're only now starting to plan for Latin for dd who is 6.5yo. I've got a library copy of Minimus here in front of me that I'm considering before LfC or LL. So far it seems like it would be a good precursor to LfC, LL, or another program designed typically for 3-4th grade and above.

Thank you, Amber. I think I'll give Minimus another look too.

I do like the samples from Lively Latin. So much depends on where she is in 2nd. I think she could handle it. She really is coming along in her writing skills. She is a lefty but is about 1/2 through Italics B which is the first grade book so she will be ready for C by 1st. I know the language skills are there-I have just been waiting for her handwriting skills to catch up. Her piano teacher is working her very hard-so I know her little fingers are getting worked out.:001_smile:

What a roller coaster this can be...!:lol:

Dd is in K this year. I have Song School Latin for next year (1st) but was wondering what she could use as a 2nd grader. I don't care for Prima Latina but could use it if needed. I like the idea of using Lively Latin. I think Plaid Dad used it for a little while with his dd when she was younger.

Thank you!

DS LOOOOOOOOOOOOVES Cambridge Latin. You can try Minimus to sort of ease into it.

Thank you!

We started Lively Latin when the boys were in 2nd, no problem. (We tried Prima Latina first but didn't like it) LL is gentle, introduces concepts slowly w/practice, and doesn't have a lot of writing.

I'm using Minimus and LCI with my 1st grader, so far so good (only 2 weeks in though. :rolleyes:) The grammar in LFC would have been too much for him I think. He knows the parts of speech, but LFC-A gets into objects; I'm not sure he's ready to go there yet and I'm in no rush.