Menu

Singapore users - question.....

mommy25

Level 1A is where it starts requiring memorization, but you won't really know that unless you have the HIG.

We're going to start using the Triangle flashcards... they're more like number bonds than regular flashcards.

Hi Audrey,

I had not heard of the Triangle Flashcards....where do you get those?

It builds on that right from the beginning. I use CWP and a Singapore Enrichment book (it is a lot like the IP book). I don't use anything else.

I guess from looking at the workbooks, it doesn't look like they would practice them enough. Do you use the Home Instructor Guide as well?

Some children just need extra problems in order for the material to become solidified. My son isn't like that, once he gets it, he gets it. (But when he doesn't get it right, oh boy, do we have lots of re-training to do!) However, my duaghter often need just a bit more: I'm not sure what to use with her. I've been supplementing ad hoc, but I think I should look at something a bit more intenional. Any thoughts?

I started using the CWP in 4A & B: and I've had the Topical Worksheets on hand since 3A. (Not Intensive practice. When I need a Topical worksheet, it is to correct a misunderstanding, to remediate, not to provide extra challenge!)

I also use Mammoth math a lot recently for extra worksheets: I used them quite a bit for multiplication and division drill.

From my experience the facts need to be mastered as we go. My dd2 is finishing 1a book 1 and I'm really trying to slow down to make sure she's memorizing the facts(+,_). From experience I know that things will go so much smoother if she has them memorized.;)

I remember downloading a sheet from singaporemath.com from their forums about when specific facts had to be done.

Now, how exactly do I do them? I've done various things....math copywork (copying the problem 1+2=3), flashcards, worksheets, math games,and now I have a wrap-up for addition.

As far as extra practice of the actual math work goes I just get a topical worksheet book to go with the level that we're at. I find that my dd1 needs a little bit more consistent review than what the book gives. She needs to do it for a longer time period to get it cemented in her brain. What I'm doing now is pulling about 6 different sheets from the review book and she does one of each different type of problem a day. Today she did long division, fractions, measurement, word problem, and angles. I find that this helps her to remember what we've done without the lovely statements like......"what do you mean add!":001_huh:

This is where my son finally had to memorize them. Up until then, he could figure each one out as he needed it fast enough. At that point, though, he needed to be able to recognize that the number 72 contains the factors 8 and 9 (for example) in order to do long division and deal with fractions.

Which level does Singapore start to require mastery of the four main operations? What supplements, if any, do you use to help them retain their facts?

Thanks

I am trying understand: are the four main operations, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division?

My son said that Singapore tends to incorporate the main operations all along starting from 2 level.

Blessings to your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

This chart shows an easy way to add in the miquon books when studying the various topics in Singapore, if you're interested. If not, the chart is helpful because it describes the scope and sequence for Singapore through 4a - and can hopefully answer your question about what operations when.

I agree with PP that unless you've seen a teachers guide you wouldn't know ALL the the things that are meant to be done with Singapore to make it such a wonderful program. I'm not saying you have to have the guide for each level or anything, but it helps you realize teaching elements to for best use of the program. For example you need to start by presenting with manipulatives, how to review, etc. I've heard that in schools using singapore they do timed math drill tests every day, which is something I am planning on adding.

We supplement with 75 seconds of addition and 75 seconds of subtraction drill on the Flashmaster twice a week. (Currently 12 to 20 addition problems and 9 to 15 subtraction problems depending on the problems and her motivation.)

We did a bit more when she was learning the facts.