Menu

Diamond ring question

Ds22 is getting ready to ask a young lady to marry him.:) He would like to get her a ring, but really can't afford anything extravagant. I inherited a diamond ring that has 12 different diamonds on it, ranging in size from approximately 1/8 ct. to 1/3 ct. My mom worked in a jewelry store and I know she got the ring there so it is not a family heirloom, per se - just a ring she liked. I'm considering the option of using one or more of the diamonds from my mom's ring to make a new ring for my son to give his fiance-to-be. Has anyone here had a diamond reset and is this a fairly simple process? Is there anything I need to know? I am completely in the dark here.

Yes, it's pretty easy. It will be cheaper if you have some gold for them to use (gold is high right now) in the form of a ring, etc. I would expect to pay a couple hundred for a reset, plus materials.

Whatever you do, don't sell any "extra" diamonds. Have them made into earrings or whatever... but the price you get for resellind diamonds is a tiny fraction of their value.

Yes, it's pretty easy. It will be cheaper if you have some gold for them to use (gold is high right now) in the form of a ring, etc. I would expect to pay a couple hundred for a reset, plus materials.

Whatever you do, don't sell any "extra" diamonds. Have them made into earrings or whatever... but the price you get for resellind diamonds is a tiny fraction of their value.

Thanks, Kay. I have a couple more questions. Should I have all the diamonds removed and use the gold from the ring? It is actually two rings that have been welded together - one is platinum and one is 18k yellow gold. The platinum part looks like a diamond wedding band with five small diamonds in a row. The gold part has a large diamond in the center with 3 small diamonds on either side. I really don't like the style of the ring or the fact that they've been welded together. Can a jeweler melt the metal down and make a ring or is that way too much to ask?

Ds22 is getting ready to ask a young lady to marry him.:) He would like to get her a ring, but really can't afford anything extravagant. I inherited a diamond ring that has 12 different diamonds on it, ranging in size from approximately 1/8 ct. to 1/3 ct. My mom worked in a jewelry store and I know she got the ring there so it is not a family heirloom, per se - just a ring she liked. I'm considering the option of using one or more of the diamonds from my mom's ring to make a new ring for my son to give his fiance-to-be. Has anyone here had a diamond reset and is this a fairly simple process? Is there anything I need to know? I am completely in the dark here.

I have no helpful input, just wanted to say congratulations!:D

I don't know much about the process, but I'm wearing a re-cycled diamond. My dh bought my diamond at an estate sale and had it reset for me. I love the idea that someone else wore it and loved it as well. (It's a beautiful stone!) I think it's a lovely idea to give her something that's been in the family but has been made "new" for her.

Congratulations!

I have no helpful input, just wanted to say congratulations!:D

Thanks, Elaine. It is very exciting for us, to be sure. They have known each other practically all their lives and have grown up in our church - her family joined our church when she was 9 months old. It's very likely the the Pastor that married dh and me will marry them as well. We've spent lots of time together as families and so it all feels quite natural. I thought I would be very nervous and worried when I went through my first courtship/wedding experience with my children, but this has been a breeze. W are so blessed!

They can do whatever you ask.. it's just a matter of price. I recently had my wedding ring resized and the diamond replaced (my original diamond fell out and was lost) using an inherited diamond ring. I also took a couple of diamonds off the ring and had earrings made. Most of the cost is in the labor, if you have the stones and band.

Be sure to find a reputable local jeweler. I found one through a friend... good thing too. One place I went he said he couldn't reset those diamonds, he'd have to sell me new ones and he'd give me $100 for the others because they were junk. One of them was an almost 3 carat stone worth over $10,000. Clearly a rip off artist--and I had a bad vibe in the store too. Good thing I never let the ring out of my sight there!

I have no idea, but I wanted to say congratulations! I would love to hear your son's story. (oh -- I just read it). How perfect!

PS -- How did he know she was the one? :)

Dawn,

He knew he wanted to marry someone who was completely devoted to the Lord, desired to be a homemaker/helpmeet, desired to homeschool her children, had a servant heart, and had a quirky sense of humor like his.;) Amy is one of the dearest young ladies I've ever met and fits all of the criteria. Now, there are several young ladies at my church who would fill this bill as well, so I can't say exactly how he knew that Amy was "the one" except that his heart skips a beat when he sees her.:) Oh, and I'm very sure he prayed about it a LOT! Even though they have been good friends for many years, he did not want to presume upon their friendship so he spent a great deal of time praying.

Ah, young love! How wonderful for you to be getting a new daughter that fits all of that wonderful criteria! Congrats!

My sister had her wedding band and engagement ring made for her by her (now) husband. He and the jeweller sat down and designed a stunning set, and wonder of wonders, they used both yellow gold and platinum. It is simply stunning! Everyone comments on how beautiful her ring set is. My bil did have the gems as well (she wanted the main stone to be an emerald, with small diamonds along the band, and that's what he had from his grandmother, go figure!) and it cost him a whole $350. They had it appraised for insurance purposes and it is worth $3,000. So there you have it, find a reputable jeweller and they should be willing to create something (with your son) that suits her. How exciting!

We did this. my mother in law gave us a cocktail ring with a 1/2 carat center diamond surrounded by 7 small diamonds and bunches of sapphires...we were so blessed. my mom had given me her dad's tiny rose gold wedding band on my 30th birthday, so we took the band and had the big diamond put on it at a local family jewelry store. I would not have a diamond otherwise....we used the 7 small ones to have a 7 year anniversary ring made, and were saving all the sapphires for my daughter...we were planning to have something made for her with them for her 16th birthday...but we got robbed last year and they were stolen. go for it, I say. I love my rings!

Thanks, everyone. I'm relieved and encouraged to hear these success stories with transforming jewelry. If something seems difficult to me (and this sure did), I tend to hit a brick wall and just do nothing. I'm very glad to know others have had good experiences. Now I just have to figure out how to find a reputable jeweler. Do you just go someplace that's been around a while? I don't visit jewelry stores all that often.:)

Thanks, Elaine. It is very exciting for us, to be sure. They have known each other practically all their lives and have grown up in our church - her family joined our church when she was 9 months old. It's very likely the the Pastor that married dh and me will marry them as well. We've spent lots of time together as families and so it all feels quite natural. I thought I would be very nervous and worried when I went through my first courtship/wedding experience with my children, but this has been a breeze. W are so blessed!

:grouphug:!

Don't have any advice, just wanted to say Congratulations! My 22yo is also engaged to a wonderful girl who we feel is already part of our family. My husband gave me a new ring for our 20th, so I gave my son my first ring for her. It is so sweet to me to see her wearing my ring. It just feels right.

Now I just have to figure out how to find a reputable jeweler. Do you just go someplace that's been around a while? I don't visit jewelry stores all that often.:)

Ask at your church.

We needed to have our rings resized a few years ago. We asked a lady at our church who is about 20-30 years older than we are. She's lived here forever. She thought about it and gave us 2 places.

A few years ago the diamond fell out of my engagement ring. I found it in ds's room - I had moved furniture that day! Anyway, several months later dh was at Bible study and someone in the room said something about being a jeweler. DH took my band and diamond and took it to him. I don't remember how much it was, but he gave it back to me on Valentine's day that year. (Would be sweet but he got down on one knee in a fast food restaurant with the kids and my parents, at lunch time when they were busy. I kept thinking all these people were thinking "It's about time!" With a 12 yo in the mix. And they probably couldn't see my wedding band.)

Ask at your church.

We needed to have our rings resized a few years ago. We asked a lady at our church who is about 20-30 years older than we are. She's lived here forever. She thought about it and gave us 2 places.

A few years ago the diamond fell out of my engagement ring. I found it in ds's room - I had moved furniture that day! Anyway, several months later dh was at Bible study and someone in the room said something about being a jeweler. DH took my band and diamond and took it to him. I don't remember how much it was, but he gave it back to me on Valentine's day that year. (Would be sweet but he got down on one knee in a fast food restaurant with the kids and my parents, at lunch time when they were busy. I kept thinking all these people were thinking "It's about time!" With a 12 yo in the mix. And they probably couldn't see my wedding band.)

Oh, that's too funny. I would have been mortified. :) It's still dear that he wanted to make it an event, though.

I would like to put a plug in for ethnic jewelry stores. You will find Arab, Indian, and Chinese jewelry stores in the US selling 21K or 22K gold at a price closely related to the actual current trading price of gold. A 22K gold ring will cost less than $300. Some of them sell rings with stones in addition to pure gold rings. I highly recommend them.

Edited by stripe

I'd go to a pawn shop and see what they had for the price that he can afford. We bought my rings for $1200 and they are pretty nice. They make people say....Ohhhh WooooW. It'd give you a place to start ....and the pawn shop charges less for doing stuff like this. Ours is a pawn shop, with a section for ...it's early...diamonds and such...some new...some old... If you were in Salem, OR... I'd have you go there. They have some incredible stuff!! Also, she might like the ring the way it is....

Carrie:-)