Menu

Do logic. Do logic. Do logic.

Ds is taking what I thought would be a very, very easy math credit at CC--Math for Liberal Arts. Chapter 3 is Logic.

We did not do logic. If we had, he would ace this part. As it is, he will fail, because he is not able to understand it in the 3 weeks they are teaching it.

So,

do logic with your kids--even easy, non-math majors may encounter it, and it will help tremendously to have at least a passing familiarity with it.

The college ds attends now requires a logic course for nearly every major. Their brand of logic consists of some traditional logic and some modern critical thinking. The university he is trying to transfer into will require him to take The Logic of Proofs. The course title alone makes my eyes glaze over! Yech!! Bleh!!

Mary

It was asked by Christine in this thread for recommendations for a logic course for a 9th grader. I would like to recommend Logic I: Tools for Thinking by Norman Birkett. Two of my three kids have been through this and it is excellent and easy to do at home. For more information, you could look at the website: www.ClassicalLegacyPress.com. Hope this recommendation helps :-)

This particular logic chapter was in mathematics--he had to use those symbols (p, q, ^,~, etc.) and make truth tables, among other things. That's the kind of logic I'm recommending, at least to get thru math in college! lol

We did that 'kind of logic' in the later part of Intermediate Logic by Canon Press. Serious fun stuff.

Covering topics in logic too often reserved for a college course, Intermediate Logic simplifies various elements of propositional and symbolic logic, including truth tables and formal proofs of validity. While this textbook/workbook can be used for one year�s worth of study, older students may work through Introductory Logic and Intermediate Logic in a school year. Recommended for grades 8 and up. 20 lessons/35 exercises. Consumable. Required for course.

Carole

I'm beginning to work through First Course in Mathematical Logic by Patrick Suppes and Shirley Hill, recommended by Charon. I'm only about halfway through the second chapter, but it's a pretty gentle introduction (so far) to that kind of logic. The symbols are slightly different, but they're also a little different from those used by Dolciani, so I suppose this is something that just changes a bit from author to author.

Dee