Menu

TOG, SOTW and now MOH!? Not again!

Melis

Good Morning!

Someone, please save me from going crazy! I absolutely LOVE TOG, bought the whole revised Year I, in binders, with all the extras...it sits on my shelf. It was just too much for my K and 2nd grader, not to mention it's my first full year of homeschooling and I am totally overwhelmed. I just couldn't make the time to get organized with TOG and then my K'er wouldn't sit and my 2nd would get frustrated by the constant interruptions. I started to panic as months began to fly by and we were not getting to history.

I came to WTM to find help and that's just what I got! :) Thanks to several lovely members, enter in SOTW with CD's and activity guides. Love it! It works.

But this morning...it has happened again. I was exposed to yet another curriculum. Mystery of History. I'm so intrigued. I love the idea of more biblical history woven in, the timeline project looks AMAZING and my 2nd would absolutely LOVE the Jeopardy game. The memory cards and quizzes (which my son enjoy believe it or not) would work well for us. OH NO! What do I do? I realize a I could "create" these activities, but honestly, I am still barely keeping my head above water and I don't think I will make the time to create these things on my own.

I love SOTW in that it tells history like a story and we have activities to choose from, but I worry that it's not enough to commit to memory...does that make sense? I also realize that my boys are still little. They are very bright, but very DIFFERENT. My K'er rushes through lessons and constantly asks if we are done for the day. My 2nd loves to spend time with me learning and he has been this way all along (even in K). LOL I am hoping my K will grow out of this with time.

I apologize for the lengthiness of this message and would really appreciate some thoughts from other moms who have "been there, dont that"! :)

Have a great morning! :)

~Melissa

From someone who has BTDT in terms of certain curricula, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" has truly become my motto. Pardon the terrible cliche. To make it worse take the saying to heart "the grass is always greener."

I understand and know from experience that, especially early on in your homeschool career (don't get me wrong we are still early in the career-closing in on year 4) you can be tempted by every new or more exciting program that is mentioned, particularly on these boards. It is hard to resist, but I have found that when I see something new, I really evaluate and ask myself, "would this really be better, what is it going to help or fix?"

You state you love SOTW with AG and it is working. Evaluate is there something you do not like or really need more of to make a change from something you both like to something you might not. Sit down with samples of MOH or borrow one from someone if possible. Your kids are young to really get a timeline, although we sometimes maintain one, but it is not a requirement at this age. As far as the jeopardy game goes, would your boys eventually tire of this game?

If you follow the WTM pattern, they will hit the topics in history 2 more times. Just don't panic and take your time making the decision. I have found that the curricula I jumped into because it was new or sounded wonderful, tended to be the ones I sell off later or sit on my shelf staring at me. Just my 2 cents. Hope some of this helps-good luck deciding.

Good Morning!

Someone, please save me from going crazy! I absolutely LOVE TOG, bought the whole revised Year I, in binders, with all the extras...it sits on my shelf. It was just too much for my K and 2nd grader, not to mention it's my first full year of homeschooling and I am totally overwhelmed. I just couldn't make the time to get organized with TOG and then my K'er wouldn't sit and my 2nd would get frustrated by the constant interruptions. I started to panic as months began to fly by and we were not getting to history.

I came to WTM to find help and that's just what I got! :) Thanks to several lovely members, enter in SOTW with CD's and activity guides. Love it! It works.

But this morning...it has happened again. I was exposed to yet another curriculum. Mystery of History. I'm so intrigued. I love the idea of more biblical history woven in, the timeline project looks AMAZING and my 2nd would absolutely LOVE the Jeopardy game. The memory cards and quizzes (which my son enjoy believe it or not) would work well for us. OH NO! What do I do? I realize a I could "create" these activities, but honestly, I am still barely keeping my head above water and I don't think I will make the time to create these things on my own.

I love SOTW in that it tells history like a story and we have activities to choose from, but I worry that it's not enough to commit to memory...does that make sense? I also realize that my boys are still little. They are very bright, but very DIFFERENT. My K'er rushes through lessons and constantly asks if we are done for the day. My 2nd loves to spend time with me learning and he has been this way all along (even in K). LOL I am hoping my K will grow out of this with time.

I apologize for the lengthiness of this message and would really appreciate some thoughts from other moms who have "been there, dont that"! :)

Have a great morning! :)

~Melissa

If you want my advice, stay with SOTW! We used all 4 volumes and I credit it with giving my kids the love of history that they have now. It is true that they don't remember all of the specific stories that we read, but as we go through it a second time, it comes back to them. But, what they do have is an enjoyment of learning about history and now they are really starting to make connections this time around. We are doing TOG this rotation (after 4 years of SOTW) and we still read the SOTW suggestions each week because I think it is a great elementary history book and a good review!

I would wait on the timeline thing. I did a timeline with my kids when we did SOTW, but quite honestly, it was more for me. They didn't really know how to use it or get the connections of a timeline like they do now.

My suggestion is to do as many of the projects as you can stand to do. This also gave my kids a love and excitement for history.

I'm using TOG and SOTW with my 1st grader. I'm going by the TOG weeks (because I like the chronology in TOG better), and SOTW is scheduled as an additional resource for Upper Grammar (2nd page of Reading Assignments). I use SOTW as my "spine". I read the first section from SOTW on Monday and follow up with the questions and narration from the AG, and do the same thing on Wednesday with the second section of the chapter.

There were some weeks during the stretch of biblical history in which SOTW did not have a corresponding chapter. I just pulled out our VOS Story Bible and read, read, read from that. My dd loved it! She always colors from a corresponding coloring book while I'm reading (Life in Ancient Egypt, Old Testament Stories, pages from SOTW AG, Calvary Chapel, etc.)

Some weeks I'll use the map from SOTW and some weeks from TOG, depending on which I like better. I read the General Information page from TOg out loud (the parts that are relevant) at the beginning of the history time on Monday. And we do the literature worksheet from TOG if there is one for that week, which for Year 1 there's not very many. We check out a lot of books from the library on the topic, and read through the Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World book and/or the Usborne Encyclopedia of World History (both of which are scheduled in SOTW). Because I'm not a hands-on, crafty person, I like having so many suggestions for the activities from the two programs to find one that I wouldn't mind doing. :)

You could definitely have a great history program with only SOTW resources. TOG is not necessary at this point. But I am wanting to use it more and more as my children get older, so for me, this is a great way to ease my way into the program. I don't feel like I've wasted money even though I'm not using TOG to its fullest potential because I know that it will pay me back dividends down the road when we're fully in dialectic and rhetoric. Everyone's different...do what's right for YOU.

Hi Melissa,

I started the year off with MOH and my two students, ds-10 and his friend 11, enjoyed it. Although my son was a little reluctant to work with the cards and after awhile started saying that he hated school. The way to do timelines was a hit, though.

So I switched to SOTW and have not regretted it one bit. My son has developed a love of history and we are daily putting in about 1-2 hours a day. He has now decided he will be an archaelogist. Then he changed his mind to be an Egyptologist. We now have to visit Iraq, Egypt, Lebanon, etc. when he gets older. :)

He wants to continue history throughout the summer now.

The difference has been the way it is written. I have found the SOTW to be more engaging. The accompanying CD to MOH had some great projects to do. The first couple bombed and I found that it would be better if I did the project first to make sure I understood how to do them correctly.

If I had to do it all over again, I would start with SOTW. My son looks forward to history every day and it has awakened a desire to find out more about the time period we study. I come home every week with almost 30 books from the library and he wants them all read!

HTH

I have to agree with the others who say to stay with SOTW. Your kids are young and MOH really is better, in my opinion, for older elementary/jr. high ages. I would continue through all of the STOW books and then when you are ready to cycle through history again pick up TOG Y1 and possibly incorporate MOH with it. I have a partial schedule that schedules MOH 1 and part of MOH 2 with TOG Y1. I am not personally using it [MOH] so I don't know how well it lines up and fits together...but apparently others do this and it works for them. ;)

Having used MOH 1 when my boys were in 7th & 9th, I really don't think you will get the most out of MOH right now. A 2nd grader will not appreciate the quizzes, tests, mapping, memory cards, or even the timeline work. You'll not be able to utilize even half of the curriculum. With SOTW and Activity Guides you have not only mapping and coloring pages, but age appropriate games and activities. My youngest LOVED SOTW. Yeah, I say if TOG is not an option for you right now...definitely stick with SOTW.

Melissa, that's called "grass is greener" syndrome, and you have to learn to fight it. :)

You don't need MOH now, because SOTW is working. Finish SOTW and *then* do MOH. At that point they'll be 11 and 7, much more appropriate ages for it.

:iagree:

We are just now switching to MOH with my guys. They'll be 12 and 9 when we begin in a couple of months. SOTW was appropriate before and we added in Bible via Biblioplan.

My 2 cents,

Melissa, that's called "grass is greener" syndrome, and you have to learn to fight it. :)

You don't need MOH now, because SOTW is working. Finish SOTW and *then* do MOH. At that point they'll be 11 and 7, much more appropriate ages for it.

ITA!! That is exactly what we did. My (then) 11yo loved MOH...but her love of history was already firmly in place by reading the SOTW series. :)

I bought the Mystery of History set for the same reasons but sold it all a few weeks later. There is nothing like Story of the World for younger children. They love it and retain it if you print out the flashcards from the activity guide.

We are going to use both next *year*.

I have only 3 reasons for using both....

1. SOTW isn't biblical enough

2. my local library just happens to have a BRAND NEW copy of SOTW (actually its in my home now!!! :lol:)

3. I just happened across this schedule.

Otherwise I would only use MOH. I don't think I would have bought both books....check your library!!!!

When SOTW starts out talking about Abram you can read the Biblical account of God calling him out of Ur. When SOTW talks about Ancient Egyptians you read the story of Joseph and then Moses. SOTW talks about the Persians and Babylonians you read about the Diaspora and Daniel and Esther.

There is plenty in SOTW about the East and Europe and the America that isn't included in the Bible but in the chapters that do cover biblical stuff you can simply read those accounts from the Bible or even a story bible. I am sure there is a list out there that lines it up better than I have but you get the idea. Your kids are young, keep it simple.

I use this chart to line up SOTW, CHOW and the Vos Child's Story Bible.

My K'er rushes through lessons and constantly asks if we are done for the day. ~Melissa

This doesn't answer your main question, but my youngest (now finishing first grade) was also like this. Now, I write a list of everything we will be doing for school on a dry erase board, and he erases each class as we finish it (also allowing him to get up and move between classes). Since he can now see everything we will be doing, and how much school is left before he is free, he has stopped asking after each class, "Are we finished now?". I even started writing "lunch" on the board at the appropriate spot so he wouldn't ask, "Is it time for lunch yet?" after each class. This worked even before he could read what the words on his list said.

Melissa,

Do as I say and not as I do.

I say your kids are young. Relax and do what is working. There will be plenty of time to do MOH, TOG and other programs later.

What am I doing? Well for year 1 I have TOG redesign, have already scheduled in MOH, own a used copy of Winter Promise Quest for the Ancient World for the crafts and might be adding Guerber's ancient history text too. ;)

That doesn't mean I will do all of any of them. Each just have pieces that click with me, so I use those pieces. I actually keep our history schedule pretty light, only reading about 15 mins aloud while they eat lunch, then having the oldest two do some mapping, timeline work and read the literature. We do hands on daily through (right now African Masks because we are studying Africa), and our read aloud is just as likely not to be history related as to be related. We just finished a Bill Wallace book that wasn't history related, and moved to a Sisters in Time book that is. :D

Despite my buying all that we don't spend a lot of time on history, but mostly I have 6 years of hsing behind me to help me judge what is enough, and when I buy something I generally know exactly what it will do for me, what hole I wanted plugged that it fits into.

Heather

Good Morning Ladies :)

Thank you so, so much for your thoughtful responses! You have all been SUCH a great help to me! :)

My current plan will be to stick with SOTW and Activity Guide. I am going to try and incorporate some of the ideas that appealed so much to me in the MOH curriculum into SOTW. As I was doing my planning yesterday, I found that Susan gives suggestions in the very beginning of the Activity Guide that include all of those things! LOL (ie. Jeopardy, timelines and creating memory cards) Perhaps that was a sign that I should spend MORE time reading through what I already have, eh?

I have been enticed again! I really like the sounds of Winter Promise and the Biblioplan (recalling from memory so I'm not sure if that is the exact title!). Once again, so many temptations! Aggggh!

Again, such sage advice you have all given and I greatly appreciate it! :) I will be holding onto TOG for the future and I'm doing my best not to visit their website these days! I've heard they are going digital and I pray that doesn't mean they will no longer be offering hard copies. The printing and copying that I am already doing drives me crazy!

Have a great day! :)

~Melissa

Melissa,

I hate standing over the copier and finally came to a wonderful realization....I can take it to Staples and have it all copied at once. Teachers in schools often have aides to do their copying for them. So I'm using Staples as my aid. I don't do it for everything, but when I have a large chunk of material to copy, I take it there. I have one very close by and my husband gives me the okay to spend the money since it relieves me of some of the homeschool drudgery! :hurray: I don't know if you would be able to do the same, but thought I'd share in case it helps you.

Here's my rational...

- I am saving my ink and paper, so it doesn'st cost as much as I originally thought

- I can't afford a maid and don't go out to eat often, but this is a way I can save myself some time and energy

I am in the same boat with history-looking at all the same choices. I'm just not making a decision right now. I'm going to a couple of used curriculum sales within the next month or so and will see what I find there. With so many choices it is hard to know what will work. I'd love to do like Heather, but unless I find it all used, I just can't spend all that money!

Please keep us updated on your decision and what is working for you. Your experiences may help others make decisions.

Shannon

Sometimes the best curriculum is the one that gets done.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

Everyone's different, but I do far, far better with things that are already laid out for me. When I have to plan or do too much ahead of time, it doesn't get done or doesn't get done as well. My optimistic side always assumes that I'll have more time than I do.

We almost got waylaid this year with Sonlight's Science 5 because it had so many pages to copy. Even though I own a simple copier, I finally went to Staples for an entire afternoon one Sunday and copied EVERYTHING for the entire year.

YMMV...

:iagree: This is real wisdom. Your kids are still a bit young to get the full benefit of MOH. Stick with SOTW and use MOH the next time around.