Menu

Ya know how "they" say the darker the chocolate, the easier you'll be satisfied?

Of course I didn't finish off the entire bar (http://www.theochocolate.com/) with water, for goodness sake!;)

Btw, Elinor, I spent last night poking about various sites, considering our potential jaunt to Italy later this year. I so want to stay in that Florentian apartment you recommended! Were you there with your children? I was only in Florence, briefly, as a teen. I'd originally thought to stay in Rome, but I haven't hit upon any apts there that "wow" me. I saw your note about going to Normandy this fall. That'll be great! Years ago I had a connection with historian Stephen Ambrose, who had an affinity for historical visits to Normandy. Have you read his work? He has such a way of bringing history to life. I still need to get out there, though.

It's not true. Just want you to know that. I love super dark chocolate (think 90% cacao) and can finish off an entire as easily as I do plain ol' milk chocolate. So there.:p

Say it isn't so!!! All this time I've been hoovering 85% Lindt bars when there's something even BETTER out there? :eek:

Don't even bother with milk chocolate for me. That's for sissies! I restrain myself to four squares a day of the aforementioned "chocoine", sometimes I'm really good and stop at two...or three. But, it requires all my will. All of it, I tell you.

Doran

(Whispering: Doran, Lindt makes 99% bars too...) ;)

Never have I seen anything of the sort here in my little rural town!!! I imagine the folks that run the stores feel like they're already buying some pretty weird sh--you-know-what with the 85%. On second thought, I believe I've seen a couple of 88% here and there. What was it -- Dagoba? Whatever brand, I didn't care much for it, as I recall.

I've had pure cacao nibs. Is the 99% like eating those, or is it...creamier? If it's 99% cacao, I can't see where they'd fit in much cream. Uh-oh, now I'm letting the fat addict in me show. :o

Doran

http://www.theochocolate.com/

I ate the Venezualan (91% cacao) last night. Theo is organic, fair trade chocolate. Much as I love Lindt, they don't win any social consciousness prizes, kwim?

No, I didn't really SEE it. I glanced at it and my subconscious read it as The "O" Chocolate...which is probably intentional on the parts of its makers. :o I didn't give it enough thought to actually register because the thought of ordering in chocolate -- you know, having it shipped just to little old me from who knows where, or driving in my not so efficient car to Annapolis to buy it directly from the Whole Foods there, which I never patronize. Well, I dunno. Lindt/Theo/Lindt/Theo...sure is a tough call in my book.

And...yes...I mean No. Lindt certainly doesn't win any social consciousness prizes.

Doran

No, I didn't really SEE it. I glanced at it and my subconscious read it as The "O" Chocolate...which is probably intentional on the parts of its makers.

Hmm...do you mean as in "the Organic chocolate"? Never occurred to me to read it that way, though you're probably right. I am reading it as the German name "Theo" and thinking of my late uncle of the same name.:)

I didn't give it enough thought to actually register because the thought of ordering in chocolate -- you know, having it shipped just to little old me from who knows where, or driving in my not so efficient car to Annapolis to buy it directly from the Whole Foods there, which I never patronize. Well, I dunno. Lindt/Theo/Lindt/Theo...sure is a tough call in my book.

Just wanted to mention it. There's of course other fair trade, organic chocolate on the market. Conventional chocolate is going the way of conventional coffee for me.

Just wanted to mention it. There's of course other fair trade, organic chocolate on the market. Conventional chocolate is going the way of conventional coffee for me.

I'm glad you did, and I wish I could get it easily here. The "good" chocolate that I've tried really leaves something to be desired in terms of taste, for me. But, like so many other choices, I should let my conscience do the talking instead of my taste buds, huh?

Doran

Much as I love Lindt, they don't win any social consciousness prizes, kwim?

Yeah, sigh, I'm afraid it ends up being a matter of convenience / availability to a large extent. I have tons of organic / fair trade coffee options available to me, and I'm happy to pay a little extra for that. I've yet to find a locally available high cocoa content fair trade chocolate bar that I like. I'm sure they're out there... Just still looking. (I can't remember the brand I tried recently that was just nasty.... Ugh. lol. I figured if that was my only option, I'd just have to give up chocolate.)

Anyway... You've got me contemplating the 91% bar for dh for our anniversary next month. But then... Will he complain that it's "too sweet" after eating the 99% bar for a while?

Hm... All this talk... And I think I feel another coughing fit coming on. I'd better go dose myself with theobromine... ;)

Of course I didn't finish off the entire bar (http://www.theochocolate.com/) with water, for goodness sake!;)

Btw, Elinor, I spent last night poking about various sites, considering our potential jaunt to Italy later this year. I so want to stay in that Florentian apartment you recommended! Were you there with your children? I was only in Florence, briefly, as a teen. I'd originally thought to stay in Rome, but I haven't hit upon any apts there that "wow" me. I saw your note about going to Normandy this fall. That'll be great! Years ago I had a connection with historian Stephen Ambrose, who had an affinity for historical visits to Normandy. Have you read his work? He has such a way of bringing history to life. I still need to get out there, though.

Whew, I'm glad to know that the chocolate wasn't lonely and sad for lack of its favorite liquid companion! ;)

As to the apartment in Florence, we did have the kids. It has 3 bedrooms, and they shared one and the other was for my parents, who spent a week with us in celebration of their 50th anniversary, and when they left it was going to be used by some dear friends from Ukraine, but they could not get a visa from Italy and thus had to cancel.

With its staircases and high beamed ceilings, it felt large and comfortable. The galley kitchen was long but best suited to one person. The location is excellent; near the Arno (and dangerously near one of the best gelato shops we found in Florence), lots of restaurants all around, and also a grocery market one block away. Oh, and a DVD rental store is close, too, in case you want a night in with a movie. I couldn't read the rental agreement and the clerk didn't speak English, but I just signed it and hoped I hadn't given away one of my children...:)

I really hope you end up staying there, because I want to hear all about it and live vicariously through you! I would go back in a heartbeat. We all would actually; my dd cried when we left.

We didn't stay at an apartment in Rome; we used some hotel points for a few nights and then switched to a Rick Steves recommended hotel. The high-speed train from Florence to Rome takes 90 minutes.

Turning to Normandy, I haven't read any Stephen Ambrose, although I've heard of him. Any book in particular you recommend for visiting that region?

The more I hear you talk about the apartment in Florence, the more tempting it sounds. I need to get on the ball and make some decisions about this potential trip. Do you remember which hotel you stayed at in Rome, btw? I thought perhaps we'd just day trip into Rome via the train, but it would probably make more sense to overnight there.

Turning to Normandy, I haven't read any Stephen Ambrose, although I've heard of him. Any book in particular you recommend for visiting that region?

The obvious choice would be D-Day, but many prefer Citizen Soldiers: The U. S. Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of Germany. Either one is worth at least skimming prior to your visit so you can better immerse yourself in the history.

The hotel in Rome is called The Oceana. It wasn't fancy, but had a decent breakfast included, and also has "family rooms" that had 4 or 5 beds. Owners were nice & friendly, and recommended an awesome Italian restaurant nearby; the kind of place that knows your drink order the second time you go. I forget the name of it but I think it's in Rick's book & it might have been "Gino's".

Rome has a lot to see; we spent 3 full days there, plus a day on a side-trip to Pompeii, which we loved. We spent a 5 1/2 hours at the Vatican museum and barely made a dent in it. My kids were 7 at the time (almost 8) and they were not even remotely bored or whiny. We also spent a full day seeing the Colosseum & Forum area, which was my favorite thing simply because of all the history there.

The obvious choice would be D-Day, but many prefer Citizen Soldiers: The U. S. Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of Germany. Either one is worth at least skimming prior to your visit so you can better immerse yourself in the history.

Thanks; I'll look those up at the library and have a go. I love history and have a feeling I will like his books very much. I appreciate the suggestion, and please let me know if you go to Italy!