Menu

s/o freezers

We are looking into buying a freezer. Dh and I are at odds about whether to buy a chest or upright.

He grew up with a chest style. He hates the digging involved in finding anything. He really wants to get an upright.

I'm mixed. I know a chest will hold better in case of a power outage. (which is EXTREMELY rare where we live...we've had ONE in 8 years)

Do you think you can store more in an upright or less?

Edited by Apryl H
Because I can't spell.

I think you can organize better in an upright, but from sheer bulk, I think you can fit more into a chest, because you're dealing with the shelves and space that organizing can take.

I have a chest; often I wish I had an upright, but I didn't want to pay more for the freezer or the power it takes to run an upright.

I think you can store a lot more in a chest freezer - the trick is to use boxes or milk crates (something along those lines) to make what you store more easily accessible and organized. Even if you only use a couple boxes in a chest freezer and keep specific items in them, it helps a lot!

We have an upright and we love it. It's very easy to find things and I can organize different shelves for different items, plus I have the door for smaller items like pasta sauces or fruit that I make and freeze. Also, with shelves, I don't have to stack things on top of one another (like casseroles, pot pies, etc. that have no top.

I did quite a bit of research before we bought and I just didn't like the fact that I'd have to reach in to the chest freezer, plus thing would be hard to find.

We've never been at a point where the freezer was full...and we do buy and freeze a lot things.

I've been looking at freezers and I can not reach the bottom of a chest freezer without my feet leaving the floor. I'm going with an upright, because as I get older, I'm not sure I'll be able to bend over to get stuff out of a chest freezer. Just another thing to consider, I guess.