Menu

Incorporating Genealogy?

KristineinKS

I'm looking for some ideas on how to incorporate family genealogy into our history studies. Yesterday I had the brilliant (ha!) idea to take the month of March to study Ireland. In the process of browsing a timeline of Irish history, I began to recognize some names from our family tree. This reminded me of why I initially took up genealogy - I thought it might (one day) be useful as we studied history. However, once I started homeschooling, I promptly forgot all about it. Now however, I'm interested in trying to work some of it, but am feeling a little overwhelmed. But at the same time, it seems silly to study Irish history and not mention our family (but then we get into England, Wales & Scotland, which won't fit neatly into the month-long study I'd planned!). Any ideas?

Have you been able to trace your genealogy back to a particular county or town? Many towns have websites. My dh's family traces back to Oliver Cromwell and on another branch many were French Huguenots fleeing to America. My own tree goes back to the second settling of Jamestown. It is interesting stuff to add to history study, but the details are fuzzy. I just find it helpful when I can mention that their great-great-grandfather or whomever, served in the war or worked in a certain occupation. We had family serving on both sides of several wars. It brings it closer to home.

Yes, I've got several lines of interest, I've managed to go all the way back to William the Conqueror (and consequently, quite a few more royals) & further still to Rollo, a Viking leader. Actually I've got several lines going back to 900 or so & I'm still exploring those...fortunately the royal lines were fairly well-documented. At the moment I'm researching several Kings of Leinster, Ireland. However, that's my problem...because of all the intermarriage & craziness back then, there's A LOT of interest, but it's also quite overwhelming!

was to print up wall charts of our pedigree chart, and hang them in the hallway. Incorporating pictures as part of the pedigree chart would be cool too, if you could figure it out. This was a good way to get the kids involved and interested, and was a good overview of who was where, when.

We have some histories of individuals. I placed these in page protectors in a 3-ring binder, organized by generation (because that seemed to be the best way with the histories I had. Others might find it better to organize it by family line, or some other way). The kids haven't looked at these too much, but they are easily available.

When an event comes up in history that an ancestor was involved in I look them up on our family history CD and tell my children about them. Recently, we read about the Thirty Years' War and I was able to give my dd background information about our Jewish ancestor who was forciably converted to Christianity at that time. This seems to give them a connection and ownership of events. Otherwise it is just another war long. long ago.:001_smile:

Yes, I've got several lines of interest, I've managed to go all the way back to William the Conqueror (and consequently, quite a few more royals) & further still to Rollo, a Viking leader. Actually I've got several lines going back to 900 or so & I'm still exploring those...fortunately the royal lines were fairly well-documented. At the moment I'm researching several Kings of Leinster, Ireland. However, that's my problem...because of all the intermarriage & craziness back then, there's A LOT of interest, but it's also quite overwhelming!

Hello, my possible cousin. My heritage goes back to William de Warren, who was with William the Conqueror at the Battle of Hastings. His wife, although there is some dispute, may be the dd of William the Conqueror. I rediscovered this connection last year after years of genealogy research when ds was younger.

We also have Irish heritage from my side and my dh's side. I'm planning a genealogy study for next year. If you haven't read the book 1066 by David Howarth I highly recommend it for that time period. A few of the things I'm planning are...

Reading..

parts of 1066 to ds

In the Days of William the Conqueror from Yesterday's classics

King's Shadow

(books I need to preview)

Irish Lore & Legends edited by SMW Dunnit

How the Irish saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill

I'm hoping to also do a short study on the Irish language via a CD from amazon.

We also plan to do an online study of Castle Acre. The castle and priory were built by William de Warren after the Norman conquest.

I also had a lovely fellow homeschooler send me some parchment genealogy trees that we will fill out.

We are studying the Middle Ages next year, but I plan to break this study into two phases. One the William the Conqueror tie in, another with the Irish heritage.

Feel free to PM me, perhaps we can find a family link somewhere. :D

I had hoped that one of our kids would "catch the bug", but they are choosing other interests. Here are some websites that might be helpful:

http://familyhistorykids.com/

http://www.teachnet.com/lesson/misc/familytrees040199.html

http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgwkidz/index.htm

And here are some books:

Through the Eyes of Your Ancestors: A Step-by-Step Guide to Uncovering Your Family's History

By Maureen Taylor

Family Tree

By Katherine Ayres

Fiction

Henry And Mudge In The Family Trees

By Cynthia Rylant

Me and My Family Tree (Me)

By Joan Sweeney

Roots for Kids: A Genealogy Guide for Young People

By Susan Provost Beller

We Were There, Too!: Young People in U.S. History

By Phillip Hoose

Seeking History: Teaching with Primary Sources in Grades 4-6

By Monica Edinger

Far Away and Long Ago: Young Historians in the Classroom

By Monica Edinger, Stephanie Fins

I don't think you need to "incorporate it." I think you should just do it.:)

Children learn so much by just watching their parents involve themselves in things, even if their parents don't make those things actual school stuff.

I've done extensive research on my family tree. (Haven't found anyone famous yet, but still looking. :))

Anyway, a good portion of it is England. So, I was just making sure that we "highlight" English history like we do American History.

For Example, we are going to study WWII later this month. My grandmother was about 9 years old living in London at the time. So actually most of what *I* know about WWII is from her.