Menu

Unemployment question

Is this a federal or state rate?

In Florida the unemployment rate of pay is maximun$275 a week.

Does this vary from state to state?

And if so - would you qualify for the state in which you had been working?

If we worked in Florida and moved to Tennessee would we still get the $275?

Thanks in advance!!!!

In Texas, the max is $392. So yes, it varies from state to state. I would guess that if you moved to TN, you'd get a percentage (up to 100%) of their max (which is $275).

BTW, my understanding is that the unemployment was effected by the recent stimulus packaged but I don't know the details.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Yep varies from state to state....Right now max is 390$ a week in Indiana I believe...In addition, the stimulus package temporarily gives an extra 25$ on top of that, but I'm not sure how long that will remain in effect...Also, every state has a different length of time for it's max unemployment right now as well...Indiana starts with 26 weeks (I think all states do but I could be wrong), then 20 weeks federal, then an additional 13 weeks federal at this time...I'm not sure about changing states though...Maybe you can call in and see? I know the lines for Indiana are always busy, but once you get a human, they are usually pretty helpful...

Correct. You collect in the state where you actually were employed. For example, I was employed in Florida for many years, then laid off in 2006. I am currently claiming the Emergency Unemployment Extension in Florida even though I now live in South Carolina. You can do it all online. Actually, that is about the only way to go because nobody will answer the phone in Florida. Trust me on this one - I tried! LOL!

Correct. You collect in the state where you actually were employed. For example, I was employed in Florida for many years, then laid off in 2006. I am currently claiming the Emergency Unemployment Extension in Florida even though I now live in South Carolina. You can do it all online. Actually, that is about the only way to go because nobody will answer the phone in Florida. Trust me on this one - I tried! LOL!

How long can you keep collecting unemployment? Isn't there a cut off at some point?

How long can you keep collecting unemployment? Isn't there a cut off at some point?

The normal amount of weeks is 26 weeks. Last July there was an Emergency Extension passed by the federal government that gave anyone who filed after May of 2006 an additional 13 weeks. I didn't get notified until late September of the extension. Then in November, they passed an additional extension of another 7 weeks for all states. States with a 6% of higher unemployment rate will get an addition 13 weeks on top of that.

26 original weeks

13 extended benefit weeks

7 extended benefit weeks

13 extended benefit weeks for states with higher unemployment

59 total weeks for high unemployment states

The rate does vary by state. Florida is one of the lowest with $275. The stimulus plan just passed this month increases every state by $25 a week.

The normal amount of weeks is 26 weeks. Last July there was an Emergency Extension passed by the federal government that gave anyone who filed after May of 2006 an additional 13 weeks. I didn't get notified until late September of the extension. Then in November, they passed an additional extension of another 7 weeks for all states. States with a 6% of higher unemployment rate will get an addition 13 weeks on top of that.

26 original weeks

13 extended benefit weeks

7 extended benefit weeks

13 extended benefit weeks for states with higher unemployment

59 total weeks for high unemployment states

The rate does vary by state. Florida is one of the lowest with $275. The stimulus plan just passed this month increases every state by $25 a week.

So you started collecting in 2006, and now its 2009...thats 3 years :confused:

Unless its not consecutive weeks, but then I don;t get that either.

So you started collecting in 2006, and now its 2009...thats 3 years :confused:

Unless its not consecutive weeks, but then I don;t get that either.

I collected for the original 26 weeks from December of 2006. Then I was notified of an extension of benefits in September of 2008. I have been collecting the extension since October of 2008. Then there was a lapse of time in January where the additional extension wasn't in place for Florida. My extension picked up again at the end of January 2009. In the end I will collect the 59 weeks total. I was employed with my company for 12 years and laid off. I was encouraged to file for unemployment along with my severance package. I had a very hard to come by telecommuting job that is not easily replaced.

I collected for the original 26 weeks from December of 2006. Then I was notified of an extension of benefits in September of 2008. I have been collecting the extension since October of 2008. Then there was a lapse of time in January where the additional extension wasn't in place for Florida. My extension picked up again at the end of January 2009. In the end I will collect the 59 weeks total. I was employed with my company for 12 years and laid off. I was encouraged to file for unemployment along with my severance package. I had a very hard to come by telecommuting job that is not easily replaced.

So your 59 weeks was not consecutive, I get it now.