Menu

Anyone here use a pressure cooker?

I just ordered a Fagor 8-qt pressure cooker. I have a very old Mirro aluminum pressure cooker, and it has served me well (I got it for 25 cents at a garage sale), but I really wanted one of the new efficient ones. I'm looking forward to getting it.

I've found several popular cookbooks and put them on hold through our library system...I like to do that to help decide which cookbook to use.

So, do any of you have one of the newer pressure cookers? If so, which brand and size? How often do you use it? Any favorite recipes?

Ria

I have a 10L. stainless steel, about 2 years old now. Before that I had a cheapie Mirro aluminum pressure cooker. Both of them work fine, but the newer pan is much easier to clean.

I make a huge batch of refried beans about once per week, and then we use them for lunches & dinners for several days. They're so easy to make in the pressure cooker, and since I don't always plan ahead, I love that I don't have to soak dried beans before cooking. The pressure cooker takes care of that.

I use it to make soup that tastes like I simmered it all day, and pot roast (we grow our own beef) that's falling-apart tender.

I haven't really found the pressure cooker cookbook that's just right for me, but I read somewhere that you can use almost any slow-cooker recipe book, just to reduce the cooking time by 2/3rds.

I have a 7qt Kuhn Rikon, which I use for cooking artichokes, potatoes, and once in a while I make a dinner entree in it. So while it sees some use, it could probably be working harder. ;) The cooker itself is fantastic. I love it. I've got a couple Lorna Sass cookbooks, and they're good.

:) Carolyn

I have had no flops with Lorna Sass's Cooking Under Pressure and Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure.

Between the two, you get all the veggie, grain and bean times.

If you do Penzey's, their Rogan Josh recipe and spice is out of this world in the pressure cooker. I added diced potato and opened up the top for the last 20 minutes, and made it with goat, as that was the Ex's favourite meat.

Carolyn, I have been looking at the K-R pressure cookers but have been hesitant to purchase as they are so much more expensive. Can you tell me more about yours? Anything you don't like? Thanks!

Hmmm...well sometimes it takes a long time to come up to pressure, but I think I have to blame my stove for that. ;) Other than that, there's nothing I don't like about it. The bottom thickness is great for avoiding scorched-on food. I have one called the Top Model, which has a turnable plastic top (link) instead of a stem. I ordered it online a couple of years ago, and didn't know I was getting that one instead of the regular one, but I'm very pleased with it. I like that the Top version has a couple of settings for releasing pressure, but it is a little more fussy to disassemble/clean/reassemble than the stem version. I also got a trivet and a plain glass lid (for non-pressure cooking) with it, and I use them both.

I haven't used any other pressure cookers, so I can't say whether it is worth the extra $, but I don't regret having bought it.

:) Carolyn

Edited by jplain
clarifying