Menu

What is your favorite Jane Austen novel other than Pride and Prejudice?

Which Jane Austen is your favorite, other than Pride and Prejudice?  

1. 1. Which Jane Austen is your favorite, other than Pride and Prejudice?

• Sense and Sensibility
    • Mansfield Park
    • Emma
    • Northanger Abbey
    • Persuasion

I need mind candy right now. I love Pride and Prejudice and was thinking of re-reading it, but then decided that I would prefer to try a different Austen book. I own, in addition to P&P, Mansfield Park. I haven't read it yet. For some reason though, I've heard it's not in the same ball park as P&P. I would like another humorous and romantic one. Which is your favorite?

And no, I'm not bowing to the pressures of putting in an "obligatory other"! :lol:

I love Persuasion. And the movie with Ciaran Hinds is wonderful too. I'm usually one of the few people in these discussions who loves Mansfield Park. I think Austen's observations on how children turn out based on how they're parented to be very astute.

OK, so for those who love persuasion, would you agree that it is not mind candy? If I'm looking for mind candy, should I pass this up for the moment, or read it anyway?

Oh I missed the part about mind candy. Um, I'd pick Emma or Northanger Abbey if you're looking for something lighter. Persuasion and MP are heavier, I'd say. And S&S somewhere in between. Maybe.

I think Emma is a perfect fit for what you are describing. The beginning was SO light to me that I gave up before really understanding the main characters. It's fun, funny, cute, interesting and has one of my absolute favorite love stories to it. I went from hating it to possibly loving it same or more than P&P.

I love Jane Austen's work and my favorites are P&P, S&S, and Persuasion. Emma is lighter than these three, as others have noted. As for mind candy ~ all candy is not created equal. Whereas much contemporary fiction is a Snickers bar, Austen is dark Lindt.;)

I love Persuasion. And the movie with Ciaran Hinds is wonderful too. I'm usually one of the few people in these discussions who loves Mansfield Park. I think Austen's observations on how children turn out based on how they're parented to be very astute.

Another lover of Mansfield Park here. I like Persuasion too, but really loved Mansfield Park.