Menu

Oh help! Writing Strands???? If you've ever seen or considered this please help!

KIN

I'm looking at changing my oldest ds's writing program next year. WWE is great, but not enough for him. We are using the workbook that is one level behind his grade, b/c the correct workbook for his grade isn't out. Are you still with me?

I went back to my WTM to see what is recommended there. Writing Strands is the top pick. Yet, it is one I don't see mentioned much here. Do you use it? What are your likes/dislikes? Where should I start a 4th grader?

probably start your 4rth grader in level 3. I have purchased it a few times, but just can't seem to pull it off, I can't tell you exactly why, but I think it's because I may need a higher level than what I'm getting.

My original likes were that it is fairly self instructional as it talks to the child and that it goes all the way up through highschool writing. Also, the lessons are broken up into very short pieces that most children can handle.

If you are interested, I have a like new copy of Writing Strands 3 with Evaluating Writing also like new and I will sell it to you both copies for 12 ppd.

Let me know...Either way, I know it's a good program because many have used it successfully. You can also do a search right here and read older posts on how others have used it.

HTH,

Dee in Sunny FL!

rebel4jesus25@hotmail.com

My DD10 started out okay with Writing Strands 3, but really started to hate it and said it was boring. She's not the kind of kid to complain, so I just figured it wasn't a good fit for us. We've been doing WWE with just the textbook and that is working well for us. Next year we'll do CW Aesop B.

HTH, Lana.

I bought WS3 used and I still have it sitting on my shelf gathering dust. I also bought a higher level one for my older kids and used parts of it with a writing course that I put together. I keep going back to it, but for some reason that i can't actually define, i also keep putting it back on the shelf. It doesn't grab me...too textbooky maybe?

I have found that to teach writing you just need to "make" them write. So anything you use as a guide for yourself as to WHAT to have them write about is good, especially at the elementary ages. There are tons of free writing and/or journal prompts on the internet, and there is a book called Unjournalling that has journal prompts that are not "personal" things to write about.

I think that my reluctant writers are reluctant because I'm also reluctant! They love to read, because I do too and they see me doing it. I don't like to write and they don't see me doing it, and therefore they don't either.

Hmmmm, maybe the solution is right in front of my face...spend some time writing WITH them! Wow,haven't I read that somewhere before? :001_smile:

Teresa

I use and like WS. Oldest child has done 3, 4 and finishing 5 this year. She's 7th grade. Middle child is in book 3 (4th grader).

I like that it doesn't except me to just take a hands off approach to coaching my child through writing. Although the instruction style is written "to the student", I use it best when I think of that as a guided script.

I don't mind the author's humor.

My 7th grader can do book 5 mostly on her own at her age.

It took us several tries to like WS. My oldest did not have the benefit of several years of copywork and narration and dictation prior to starting it. So, make sure you do that with your kid to help with writing.

I think it helped me the most when I realized that my child could take it a sentence or two at a time. Then, go back and rewrite. In some ways after using WS 3, I began to think of the book as the "karate kid" of writing programs. I'm old enough to remember that first movie. The kid was told to "wax on wax off" "sand the floor" paint the fence" when he wanted to learn karate. WS is like that. You help your child put together sentences without a ton of explanations. You put together paragraphs and let them create.

Book 3 starts with basic sentence structure and learning to play around with adding adjectives and adverbs and other things. It just doesn't use those words to the student.

Then you move into teaching paragraph structure and how to make notes (outline) to follow to keep it on topic.

I like that it works on organizing writing and thoughts. Lots of work on looking at a room, or a collection of things, or looking out of the window and describing what you see. It gets the point across that your reader can't read your mind and doesn't know what you are writing about.

WS 4, exercise 1, I think most people don't like that one. Don't let it make you toss the book. We changed THAT sentence a bit in that exercise. Rest of the book covers all kinds of things.

WS 5 gets into other writing techniques, touches on persuasive writing.

I like that it doesn't expect that a 4th grader will write like a 8th grader.

Evaluating Writing was good to use to have coaching notes while proofreading and editing.

-crystal

I like it but I'm dashing out right now and can't answer you fully. I modified it to make it work for us. My oldest did through WS7, and my youngest is in WS7 now and then will do Expository Writing. I have used a few other things from time to time also. I'll get back to you.

I tried it with my 8 y/o, but he needs more handholding, thus the IEW works better for him.

I'm going to try WS 2 with my 7 y/o ds, who doesn't need or want to much instruction. He's able to write a basic pararaph now, WS will just give him ways to improve his writing while still letting him have control over "how" he goes about it. This child is very creative and self motivated.

I just purchased Writing Strands 3 used, and I'm going to go order IEW's theme thing to get a feel for it. I think I'm just going to have to see, feel and use them both! Some friends have Writing Tales and Classical Writing I can also take a look at. Thanks for your help so much everyone!