Menu

Timez Attack

mom2abcd

Is it worth the $ to buy the full program?

Ds9 thinks he would LOVE it. And he needs to get those math facts cemented in the long-term memory.

The only difference between the free and paid program that I can see is that the paid one gives you more variety in graphics (rather than always getting the ogre, you get machines, or other things on some levels), not in information, content, teaching style, etc. I would start with the free one and let him get started.

The only difference between the free and paid program that I can see is that the paid one gives you more variety in graphics (rather than always getting the ogre, you get machines, or other things on some levels), not in information, content, teaching style, etc. I would start with the free one and let him get started.

He's been using the free version.

Here are some comments about the differences:

The dragons and robots do have more stunning graphics and require a little more gaming skill (jumping bridged, avoiding flames, and such) though it drills facts just the same as the basic version.

--

The difference between the CD full version and the free version is that the levels change. You won't stay in the same place over and over. But you can still practice all of your multiplication facts through the free version. It just might get monotonous.

--

--

Oh, if you think the free edition of Timez Attack is fun . . . you should DEFINITELY get the paid version!

There are many more levels, and different little monster-guys to defeat by flinging your multiplication facts at them (instead of just the one ogre dude in the free version).

--

My 6th grader is dyslexic and has had many problems memorizing the multiplication tables although she's otherwise very strong in math. Timez Attack is the only program that has helped. She became very good at multiplying by spending about 15 minutes / day using the program. Because I have a slow internet connection, we couldn't use the free version. For us, the program is worth every penny it cost. My younger daughter is using it now. Check before you buy though for discount offers. I got (I think) $10.00 off the price for telling 4 people about Timez Attack. The developers are very good at responding to questions.

Judy

(1) I think in a way you get a lot from the free version. But one of the reasons I bought the full version was because I felt an obligation to the generosity of the developers since they are so generous. Maybe that is just me, but it influenced my decision.

(2) After we bought the full version, my ds went back to it with renewed interest and it really polished up his math speed.

Thanks, gals. There was a $10 off code and I went ahead and ordered it. Yes, it really does renew interest! Who would have thought he'd want to spend hours doing multiplication problems! LOL

"I can do it!" What's 3x6 again? I'm finally figuring out which ones he has problems with. Just filling out a multiplication chart, he can figure out the problems.

It meets his "need" for games and mine for study!

My son loved the full version. Just remember, once he's learned the times tables, this game will sit on the shelf....

Yep. And I'll share the cd with other moms... who will soon feel like me... relieved that their kid finally got their multiplication facts down! LOL

Can you share where you got the $10 off code and what it comes to after that? Thanks.

I did a google search on Timez Attack coupon code and it came up on their site. itold4... $10 off. (Easy to tell four people about this great game!)

I went ahead and ordered the cd for $5 since I never know when our computer will conk out. (Otherwise it's a download). My total was about $35. They take paypal.

Embarrassingly, I had to ask my 12 year old daughter about multiple children using Timez Attack because I can remember much of anything this morning. According to her, each of my daughters have their own game. I don't know, however, how many names can be added at one time but Beth mentioned there's space for at least three names.

Judy

• 3 weeks later...
He's been using the free version.

Here are some comments about the differences:

The dragons and robots do have more stunning graphics and require a little more gaming skill (jumping bridged, avoiding flames, and such) though it drills facts just the same as the basic version.

--

The difference between the CD full version and the free version is that the levels change. You won't stay in the same place over and over. But you can still practice all of your multiplication facts through the free version. It just might get monotonous.

--

--

Oh, if you think the free edition of Timez Attack is fun . . . you should DEFINITELY get the paid version!

There are many more levels, and different little monster-guys to defeat by flinging your multiplication facts at them (instead of just the one ogre dude in the free version).

--

Thanks for describing the difference. I searched for info on Timez attack and found your post. This is exactly what I was wanting to know. We downloaded Timez attack for the 1st time the other day and I wish I had done it sooner. It's awesome!

And, they are still giving the $10 discount FYI as long as you tell 4 people about it that are struggling in math. The code is still listed on their website.

• 3 months later...
Guest DocMisty

My kids love Timez Attack - my 5-year-old is on the 4s, and bugs me to play.

Here's my review on Timez Attack:

Homeschool Bytes Timez Attack Review

Plus, they offer a coupon code searchable on their site for telling 4 people about Timez Attack (on the honor system) = "itold4" - that gets you $10 off.

Just go here: Timez Attack, and type in the code at check out.

Enjoy!

Misty

We :001_wub: Timez Attack in this house! I originally downloaded the free version to help Blue increase his speed (he could figure out any of the facts, but you have to be FAST to pass the big ogre). He wanted to add the additional worlds, and I told him that once he mastered 12x12 I would pay for the upgrade. Well -- that motivated Green enough that he finished first! He then wanted to go through all the levels again to see the different worlds (there are only 2 more, but we didn't know). He is now on his 5th or 6th time through the levels because he wants to find all the "secrets" of the game (hubby says these are bugs, but who am I to point out flaws when they encourage my kid to do math?!). For example -- there are a couple of doors you can climb up and over in the ogre levels, you can actually climb down the side of the pillars on the machine level, and if you stand ALMOST at the end of the hinged ramp, it will hide your body when it comes back up so you look like a little guy buried in sand. What can I say... he's a computer geek like his Dad! :tongue_smilie:

FYI, you can adjust the length of time to answer the facts and you can change the order they are presented in by going into the adminstrator file (not in the Options, so kids don't have access). You do get several log-ins at a time that can be deleted and re-used, but once a log-in has finished all the levels you can't get back into the worlds -- but you do get a nifty badge! ;)

It was well worth the money for the upgrade in this house -- but we have a lot of computer/math geeks. :)

Edited by Colleen in SEVA