Menu

Jane Austen Sci Fi movies... An article

Sci-Fi Jane Austen

Movie Buzz It looks like the book Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was just the beginning of a totally awesome trend of combining Jane Austen and science fiction. Rumor has it a P&P&Z movie deal is in the works. And Sam Mendes is working on a movie about a modern girl who travels back to Austeny times. AND apparently Elton John's production company will start shooting “Pride and Predator†later this year, “literally dropping this alien into the middle of a costume drama.†This is definitely an idea whose time has come.

so... what says the hive? Thumbs up or down? Isn't Austen rolling over in her grave?

Margaret

Lol... Well, I very much enjoyed Lost in Austen, which I suppose was a (mild!) combination of Austen + scifi... ;)

And I got a kick out of the *idea* of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (though I have no interest in actually *reading* it, lol)... And I love Jasper Fforde...

But aliens? lol... That's more than a little hard to swallow. ;)

I'd be in for P&P&Z. Not sure about the Elton John backed flick. It would depend upon whether he did the soundtrack or not; I cannot abide his recent (i.e last 20 years) work.

Well, I love Austen and I love sci-fi - I'm not opposed, in theory, to the melding of the two. But I see zombies as more of a supernatural/horror thing than a sci-fi thing (not that I won't read the book, though :tongue_smilie:). I could get into the Pride and Predator movie, though - so long as they focus more on the characters' actions and reactions and less on hacking & slashing and blood & guts flying around. Not holding my breath on that one, though. As for the Mendes movie, come on! It's obvious that time travel makes *everything* cooler :D.