Menu

Books about China for a 3yo

It is written from the perspective of a mother who flies to China to adopt her baby. The illustrations are gorgeous.

There is also a great picture book about MuLan--not the Disneyfied version. IIRC it is by Robert San Souci.

If you are willing to branch out to nearby Japan, "The Girl Who Loved Caterpillars" is excellent and beautifully illustrated as well.

Here is a list my 4 yr old and I recently read while doing The Story of Ping (which I second as a great book) for FIAR:

One Year in Beijing by Xiaohong Wang (We especially liked this one.)

Count Your Way through China by Jim Haskins

The Runaway Rice Cake by Ying Chang Compestine

D is for Dragon Dance by Ying Chang Compestine

The Story of Chopsticks by Ying Chang Compestine

The Story of Noodles by Ying Chang Compestine

The Moon Lady by Amy Tan

There is also a really beautiful book called A Day in the Life of China that is a collection of photographs all taken on one day throughout China. It's not a children's book but my son loved it.

Another good author is Roseanne Thong. She has a series: Red is a Dragon (about colors) , Round is a Mooncake (about shapes) , One is a Drummer (about numbers) that is good for preschoolers. It's not about China per se but still might be fun. The Roseanne Thong book are illustrated by Grace Lin who also writes and illustrates her own books: Dim Sum for Everyone, Fortune Cookie Fortunes, Kite Flying are some of them.

And one we love that is simple (we have it as a board book, I'm not sure if it comes otherwise) is Yum Yum Dim Sum by Amy Wilson Sanger. It's fun to read.

Two of my BIL's are adopted from China so now dd is curious about it. Does anyone know of some books about China that a 3yo would like?

China list

For a 3yo, I would recommend #3 - China, countries and cultures. It's full of nice, simple hands-on activities, many of which would be suitable. Also The Story about Ping (#33) and one of the traditional tales books (#4 or #7).

Best wishes

Laura