Menu

Attention Sock Knitters

Anna

I prefer to use two circs (magic loop) because when you are done, you have a pair. That said, I think it would be *much* easier to learn how to knit socks by first knitting a pair or two using double-pointed needles. That's how I started. After a few pairs on the dpns, I understood exactly how to go about making socks, so the magic loop method was simple to learn. It strikes me as being a bit more complicated for a beginning sock knitter, though.

Ria

I'm knitting my first ever pair of socks right now using the Knitting Pure and Simple beginner sock pattern. I'm using dpns for now, because I think the Magic Loop method will just confuse me. Once I learn how a sock goes together, I will probably switch to circulars since I have tons of them already. I may try to do the magic loop method at some point, since I've done that with a pair of soaker pants and it was okay. Ideally I'd like to find one small circular needle for sock knitting.

So my advice to you is to learn the old fashioned way on dpns and then once you know how it all goes together, maybe try a different method.

I would highly recommend double points. But I'm a purist. ;) Really, as Hillary mentioned, I think it is a much better way to learn the anatomy of a sock.

You can actually knit two socks at the same time using dpns, too, but that's advanced, stellar attention span knitting, best learned at the point where you have mastered knitting fair isle while hiking with the family.

I think that starting with DPNs helps you really understand the what you are doing.

Side note: I love the KnitPicks harmony or plain bamboo DPNs. Not a big fan of metal! And you can usually find the cheapest nice sock yarn online too.

Have fun! I love knitting socks!

I use DPNs, but I think that is intimidating for a lot of beginning knitters... if you're tension isn't tight enough yet, the needles you're not working with can slip out and cause panic. ;) (I had a friend who was so worried about that, she capped the needles she wasn't working with!)

Good luck whatever method you decide!

WOW, I see we have quite a few WTM knitters:D. Thank you for all your comments. The general consensus seems to be in favor of learning on DPN and then maybe later on, try circular. Sounds like a good plan.

I have 2 sock knitting books and I'm hoping that they'll be easy to follow. Anyone familiar with these?

Getting Started Knitting Socks, by Ann Budd

Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles, by Cat Bordhi

And how come it's so hard to find instructional DVDs for knitting socks? I do have one DVD from Hobby Lobby which shows how to do many of the knitting stitches. Do the knitting shops carry DVDs at all? (I haven't been to one in a while.)

WOW, I see we have quite a few WTM knitters:D. Thank you for all your comments. The general consensus seems to be in favor of learning on DPN and then maybe later on, try circular. Sounds like a good plan.

I have 2 sock knitting books and I'm hoping that they'll be easy to follow. Anyone familiar with these?

Getting Started Knitting Socks, by Ann Budd

Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles, by Cat Bordhi

And how come it's so hard to find instructional DVDs for knitting socks? I do have one DVD from Hobby Lobby which shows how to do many of the knitting stitches. Do the knitting shops carry DVDs at all? (I haven't been to one in a while.)

I'm very happy with the DVD I linked above (using 2 circs)... I have some sock knitting books and simply don't have the capability to learn how to knit socks from written instructions. LOL. I guess as far as knitting goes, I'm a visual learner. Also- I can ONLY knit socks on 2 circs... I'd be back at square one if I tried DPN...

FWIW, I'm very happy with the socks I produced with the Knitting Korner kit... I followed the DVD instructions exactly, and my first and 2nd pair of socks fit my feet perfectly. :) Plus, they look nicer on feet than the empty, sad-looking sock on the front of the DVD case. ;)

It's an expensive kit, but it's exactly what I needed to get started!

I concur that learning on DPNS seem most logical. Personally, I prefer bamboo for small projects. It seems less prone to slippage off of the ends to me. If I were using metal I would consider capping my ends, especially if you haven't done lots of DPN knitting before.

Don't want to hijack this thread too much, but anyone know a good resource for mastering short row heels. The stitch wrapping and such is just unclear to me. I've been doing standard heels w/gussets but think the other style is more visually appealing. TIA.

I concur that learning on DPNS seem most logical. Personally, I prefer bamboo for small projects. It seems less prone to slippage off of the ends to me. If I were using metal I would consider capping my ends, especially if you haven't done lots of DPN knitting before.

Don't want to hijack this thread too much, but anyone know a good resource for mastering short row heels. The stitch wrapping and such is just unclear to me. I've been doing standard heels w/gussets but think the other style is more visually appealing. TIA.

Knitting Help also has a shortrow video (keep going down from the sock heel one). And, for those who are undertaking their first sock, you will also want the Kitchner graft one (bottom of the page) for the toe. "knit, off, purl... purl, off, knit"

Not a hijack - if you're knitting a sock, you will eventually run into a need for these skills. (Like, right after you decide the leg part is long enough. ;))

ETA: Knitting at KNoon also has awesome technical videos.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Knitting Help also has a shortrow video (keep going down from the sock heel one). And, for those who are undertaking their first sock, you will also want the Kitchner graft one (bottom of the page) for the toe. "knit, off, purl... purl, off, knit"

Not a hijack - if you're knitting a sock, you will eventually run into a need for these skills. (Like, right after you decide the leg part is long enough. ;))

ETA: Knitting at KNoon also has awesome technical videos.

Thanks, I'll check those out.:)

I learned to knit socks using the Getting Started Knitting Socks book by Ann Budd. I'm going to be the voice of dissension here and say I think using the magic loop would be easier than managing all those double pointed needles. I learned the magic loop method before doing socks though by using it on hats and mittens. Honestly the only part of the pattern (if you are using the book above) where you have to think different because of using magic loop - is after you turn the heel when it tells you to put X stitches on needle 1, X stitches on needle 2, etc. I just put all the stitches for needles 1 & 2 on one needle with a knitting marker in between so I know where the division is located.

YMMV. For what it's worth I'm pretty anti-double pointed needles but apparently they are held in higher esteem by a lot of other knitters! :D