Menu

SOTW 2 must have resources???

Pata

I'm considering using SOTW 2 next year instead of Sonlight Core 2 for history. I wanted to do a cost comparison of the two. Since we are overseas and library trips aren't possible, I will need to purchase the books beforehand. I can't look them up in the activity guide because I don't have it here and I would like to have it all shipped in one batch. So I wanted to know what are your must have books for history to go with SOTW 2? Thanks for any help you can give!

and are living overseas as well.

SOTW 2 and the workbook make a great core. Since we're UK based I'm also using "Our Island Story", which keeps us up with English history (short stories on each monarch and a few other events around them, written in a very appealing way). The Kingfisher History Encyclopaedia is helpful, too.

Otherwise I got story books from Sonlight and Amazon, that looked like they would be relevant to the Medival Ages.

It's working out all right, though one can't quite predict what will take their interest. So now I wish I had less on Arthur and more on Marco Polo, but we'll come around to Medieval 2 more times, so I try not to sweat it too much!

This isn't quite what you asked, but I used www.mainlesson.com quite a bit for back up and extra reading.

1) Books by M.B. Synge

2) Men of the Middle Ages by John Haaren.

3) Fifty Famous Stories Re-Told and Thirty More Stories by James Baldwin.

I have everything correlated. If you'd like the lists, pm me. (That goes for anyone who may want them. :001_smile:)

One of the picture books we love is Marguerite Makes a Book.

There is also a series of picture books by Robert San Souci: Young Arthur, Young Guinevere (dd really loves this one), Young Lancelot, and Young Merlin. These are fun if you're doing the King Arthur legends.

Amazing Leonardo da Vinci Inventions You Can Build Yourself is a fun book. We did the projects in this book as a summer camp a few years ago & had a blast.

A Medieval Feast by Aliki

Coat of Arms by Catherine Daly-Weir

Joan of Arc by Diane Stanley

The Medieval World by Philip Steele or Miranda Smith

Archers, Alchemists, and 98 Other Medieval Jobs You Might Have Loved or Loathed by Priscilla Galloway

Our favorite picture book so far this year was Castle Diary by Richard Platt, however the newest publication date is a small paperback with black and white drawings only and I bought the larger version (1999) with the color pictures from Alibris. The text is the same though.

Other favorites (and now I know why I keep a running book list!)

Marco Polo by Demi

Muhammed by Demi

Leif the Lucky by D'aulaire

Famous Men of the Middle Ages (which is online I believe)

Our Island Story (also online) and Scotland's Story by H. E. Marshall

Saint George and the Dragon by Margaret Hodges

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight retold by Selena Hastings

Dover Coloring Books--Knight and Armor, and Castles of the World

Knights and Castles: 50 Hands-on Activities

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Our favorite picture book so far this year was Castle Diary by Richard Platt, however the newest publication date is a small paperback with black and white drawings only and I bought the larger version (1999) with the color pictures from Alibris. The text is the same though.

I second this book and definitely buy the larger picture book first edition as mentioned. Same text and beautiful, educational illustrations.

For SOTW 3, Platt's Pirate Diary is wonderful as the main character is from colonial America. It's not as historically necessary to cover but a fascinating book to throw to the kids when you get there. (And to those who are about to do SOTW 1, be sure to get his Egyptian Diary. The main character goes to meet the pharaoh who he suspects is a woman. She is Hatshepsut!) :001_smile: We just love the diary books!