Menu

I need some dog food advice. How much do you spend?

Paz

We spend about $80 every 6 weeks for 2 dogs. My medium-sized dog is older and has had some bladder infections so she is on a Purina vet formula that is also for weight managment. Our 55 lb dog is on some special organic food. Can anyone recommend a good quality dog food that doesn't cost as much or is this what I can expect to pay for a good dog food. Thanks a bunch!

What brand are you using? What reasons do you need to feed your other dog organic? This might help people answer:-) And, how much does your Purina Dog weigh? For my 68lb dog, I purchased Taste of the Wild, no grains, for $8. a week. I measured it out. Now, I just buy meat and it costs $1.33 a day.

Carrie:-)

Edited by NayfiesMama

You could make your own for a lot less. I make my cats' food; I buy chicken on sale for $0.49/lb. It's even easier with dogs since they can eat grains (kitties really shouldn't be eating grains) so the chicken gets stretched a bit. There are some great books out there that deal with this.

Ria

I have heard of good things about the Costco Kirkland brand. One of of our friends who is a breeder highly recommends it. We used to use Iams, until one of the dogs developed a sensitivity towards it. We're using the Tractor Supply brand right now, but I may soon switch to Costco. It's a haul to get there but if I could get a good amount at a time it would be worth it. We have 3 big dogs, so whatever we use gets expensive.

Veronica

I have used Orijen and Evo before with my own & the fosters; those are expensive - around $70-80/big bag but you do feed a lot less than regular brands.

I found feeding raw actually dropped my monthly bills a bit (but it's because I have access to a meatpacker and can buy in bulk. Commercial raw is more expensive than quality kibble.)

What you posted sounds about right, maybe even a bit of a deal.

We probably spend about $45 a month on Iams for three dogs. We buy the medium breed, small chunk kind. We always have food in their bowls but they only eat about once or twice a day. They don't over eat, which is kinda weird. We were told by a friend that her pets always had the nicest coats when they were on Iams, so that's what we went with when we got the first dog. Two of them are Corgis and they seem to be sensitive to changes in their food. We can't give them table scraps or bacon treats. They have a tendency to get diarrhea from anything other than Iams.

I'd love it if their food was cheaper, but I know it could be worse.

jeannie

I spend ~$40 every 6 weeks on my dog's special food for allergies. It is a human grade, excellent food called Flint River Ranch. I don't even think they sell it in stores. It is made fresh and ships to your door. We have been on it for over a year and that, with the combo of allergy shots and baths once a month in selsun blue, have totally cured his issues with allergies. :)

Just FYI, I buy a 30 pound bag and my 30 pound cocker spaniel eats 1.5 cups a day. He is a very healthy weight for his size and we have never had an issue with this food causing weight gain.

www.flintriver.com