Menu

Vertigo - this is just tooooo weird!!!

Last February I experienced a horrible episode of vertigo. It was so bad ds20 (19 at the time) called 911 and I spent three days in the hospital (due to dehydration from, well, you know;)). It lasted about 6 weeks and until today I had forgotten about it. Then this morning I woke up with the same exact symptoms. I remember spending Valentine's Day in the hospital last year so it just amazes me that I am having this vertigo episode almost exactly one year later. What's up with that? Any ideas? Am I the only one who thinks this is completely odd????

Not at all. I had that maybe 10 years ago. I have always been prone to motion sickness anyway but this was the kind of dizzyness that kept me horizontal and staring at one spot on the wall. If I moved, the room moved with me. It was something in my ears and generally happened because of winter associated sickness and dryness. Part of it was stress related also - hunching your shoulders, clenching your jaw, all of those affect your inner ear. I am very sorry for you. I hate that vertigo feeling and I hope you find an answer soon.

The other post reminded me...it also happens occaissionally when I turn my head suddenly or to far to the left. Supposedly it pinches a nerve or a blood vessel or something, can't recall.

Were you screened for Meniere's? I know someone who got this in his middle age. The only symptom he had was the sudden vertigo. Very frightening for him as one episode was while he was driving.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9ni%C3%A8re's_disease

Otherwise, I'd consider whether it's anxiety over your love life :001_smile:

I'm pretty sure I was not screened for Meniere's - don't get me started about what poor treatment I received at that hospital. I'll check out that website though - thanks.

As for the anxiety over my love life - not so much - but maybe I'm just stressing about whether or not I'm going to get that big box of chocolates.:)

I got a huge case of vertigo a few months ago - never had it before.

I thought I was dying from a brain tumor or something it was so bad. Turns out I had a bit of a sinus infection and a few days on sinus medicine cleared it up.

Could that be it?

I thought I was dying, too. Really! It was very, very scary. The sinus infection theory sounds good though. I mean, February is the time for that sort of thing and I am feeling a bit stuffed up. Hmmmm....

I feel for you. I suffered severe vertigo off and on throughout my last pregnancy. Doctors said it wasn't pregnancy related but I haven't had an episode since before he was born more than two years ago.

Mine forced me horizontal and immobile for 1-3 days with each episode. If I moved, I puked. It was the worst thing I've ever dealt with. I hope you find a cause...I know of Meniere's, inner ear problems, and the very top vertebra being out as causes.

I was reading the website Hornblower posted about Meniere's disease and found this:

"Some recommend avoiding Aspartame."

Interestingly, I drank some iced tea sweetened with aspartame last night. I haven't had anything with aspartame in quite a long while as I had been trying to avoid it just because I know it's not the best thing for you. Now I'm thinking I must have a sensitivity to it.

I'd have to say it's probably sinus related. My dh and a couple of my friends (IRL) have had terrible sinus headaches yesterday.

My mom had an inner ear infection that gave her vertigo last year. She was put on antibiotics. It was so bad she could not drive.

hth and hope you feel better soon.

Kim

I think you're right' date=' Kim - thanks for your concern.:)

I get vertigo sometimes and have a couple prescriptions for it. One anti-nausea and one other one. I can go look at them and find out what the names are if you want. They work within an hour or so and the vertigo doesn't return sometimes for months.

Actually, I remembered that I actually have most of the prescription I got last year for this. It is meclizine which is an antihistamine. I took some about 15 minutes ago and am feeling better. Thanks for your willingness to look it up, though - I appreciate it.:)

I was diagnosed with Meniere's 13 years ago. I was mowing grass when it started. Since then I take an antihistamine and sudaphed daily (year round) to keep pressure off my ears. No doctor would say that allergies were related to Meniere's--shows what they know!

Also, be sure to take really good minerals and calcium--plant derived if you can get it. I like AlgaeCal. Those tiny little bones in your ears can get bigger when your body tries to rebuild them when minerals are lost. They are the first to lose strength because of their size. This causes the inner ear to get crowded and lose blood flow. Re-mineralizing it helps to get them to rebuild themselves correctly.

Citrus bioflavanoids and high doses of vit c really help too.

Dh had vertigo about 13 years ago. One morning he got out of bed and fell right down. He was dizzy for about 2 weeks, then it just went away. It came back again a few times, but never quite as bad.

The ent Dr. he saw diagnosed it as benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. It's commonly called having "ear rocks." Here's a link:

http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/disorders/bppv/bppv.html

Several other folks we have talked with over the years have experienced this. Symptoms range from mild to severe.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this and hope you have a much quicker recovery this time!

GardenMom

I got a case of vertigo last spring. I woke up in the middle of the night and went to turn over and oh my goodness I thought the world was coming to an end. The whole entire room just flip floped and spun around. I went to the doctors the next day and the doctor concluded that I had an inner ear infection and gave me a handout with exercises to do to help clear it up in a few weeks. It took almost two months to go away. The worst part was trying to sleep at night. Everytime I closed my eyes the spinning sensation felt worse. I would never ever ever wish vertigo on my worst enemies. It is a horrible experiance.

Blessings

Zoraida