Menu

I need suggestions for early reader books...

Tonia

I'm using OPG with my dd and we've been using the itty-bitty phonics readers but I think she will be ready to move on to something a bit more difficult in the near future... but what? :confused: So, if anyone has any suggestions for books that are a little bit harder than basic phonics readers I would like to know! Thanks so much! :)

With OPG and right after: Bob Books, Nora Gaydos Readers, Dr. Seuss, Dick and Jane books

Frog and Toad books, Little Bear books

Then early readers Level 1, 2, 3, 4 in the different subjects and different publishers. DK Publishing, I Can Read, Stepping Stones, etc. you can find these slim books at the bookstore and library. We haven't clicked yet with a series of books like Little House or some of what other hslers mention but being aware of your child's ability and comfort zone will help you pick books that won't scare them into not wanting to read.

We're just NOW venturing into longer and more difficult reading, books from Troll Associates and older books like those. She just finished "I can read about Magellan" in two days and will finish "Francis Drake" by Goodnough (Troll) tomorrow. This is a 47 page book which is probably on a 3rd to 4th grade level.

We marinated in leveled readers for a while so don't be discouraged, it does take time.

Tons of picture books on or below level checked out from the library.

My K5-er has recently read (and enjoyed!):

Little Bear

Henry and Mudge: The First Book

Chester

Father Bear Comes Home

A Kiss for Little Bear

Cowboy Sam

Frog and Toad Together

Frog and Toad are Friends

all the books in the Rod and Staff "God is Good" Series

Currently, he is reading through the Rod and Staff "Little Jewel" books

We like Nora Gaydos for phonics readers. Bob's great too! For sight word readers that build confidence Pathway readers pre-primer First Steps and primers Days Go By and More Days Go By are a great choice. Ds loves Peter and Rachel and his reading has taken off. These work best if the child already knows some sight words, IMHO. Once they know more sight words, P.D. Eastman seems to be the easiest author to read. Go, Dog, Go and Are You My Mother (and a WHOLE bunch more--check your library) have gone very well for us. After this, I think we'll try Little Bear and Frog and Toad.

Thanks so much everyone! Why is it every time I ask a question I end up spending money? :D I've ordered some Bob books from the library to give dd some more practice, I've added "First Steps" to my Rainbow Resource order and added two levels of Nora Gaydos books to my bookstore wishlist. That should keep us going for awhile! I've written all the other ones down for later on. Thank you!

I tried the link but I just get an error message. Would love to see this if you could repost it. Thank you! SORRY - I just tried it again and it worked!