Menu

Exercise videos that you actually enjoy/look forward to?

I just got started back doing aerobics after several attempts. The dread is already setting in. I need variety!

I usually do step, but am open to other forms of aerobics. Nothing too intense; I have a long way to go to get back in shape after baby. Maybe intermediate or intermediate/advanced?

I've been browsing a little through Collage and Amazon, but came up empty.

Thanks.

:bigear:

can you get dvds from your library?

i just got this set from costco for about $25: http://www.amazon.com/Leslie-Sansone-Walk-Home-Strong/dp/B001PEVY7I/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1234482264&sr=8-21

i'm not usually a big leslie sansone fan, but i figured the 3 dvds with the different bands would be motivating and it has been.

i like variety too--so i'm really enjoying certain aspects of wii fit. who knew? the yoga and strength training exercises are really hard, and i can work up a sweat/get my heart rate up on some of the fun games that unlock more yoga poses and strength training exercises.

soon it will be warm enough for some outside variety--remember doing a little something is better than doing nothing!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_0_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=petra+kolber&sprefix=petra+kolbe

I actually took a class from her in person. She trains instructors around the world how to teach without hurting people, like what has happened to me from a bad instructor.

She is my favorite. She is way ahead of the general population of instructors.

Another good one is Gin Miller further down the page. She actually invented step aerobics after she had an injury and doctors recommended that she use a step for physical therapy. She was so bored that she created the basic step moves.

I plan purchase a couple of these when I workout again. I'm praying for a healing.

She is an excellent instructor and her timing and cuing and everything is perfect.

HTH!

Edited by Kimber

Thanks for the recommendations.

I actually looked at some of those dance type of aerobics videos. This one gets great reviews but....I looked at the preview on collage. I can't do those moves! It looks embarrassing. I'm not 16yo!

http://www.amazon.com/Dance-off-Inches-Hip-Party/dp/B000TJ6OZ2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1234482726&sr=8-1

Exercise videos that you actually enjoy/look forward to?

I can't resist. Are there actually people who "look forward to" and "enjoy" exercise videos?

I am not that person. I've never met a person like this. Is it genetic altering? Some kind of special gene?

I'd like to be that person. Really. :glare:

Not aerobics, but I loved the Gaiam Intermediate Mat Workout Pilates video. I used it until I memorized it and was then able to do the workout while I watched TV.

The Beginning one was good, too, but I liked the harder one better.

Also, it's not a video, but I am LOVING Wii Fit's strength workouts and also the yoga. Some of the aerobics are great, but not all of them.

Do you have Comcast on Demand cable or Netflix? You can watch some of the exercise videos there and try them out for a while. I've found I really like the Shred videos too. But, they are TOUGH!! I did another workout today by the other guy on The Biggest Loser and it was tough, but he had alternatives to do if it was getting too hard.

I think the trick to "enjoying" the workout videos is mixing it up and the variety offered through the two places I mentioned above is perfect for me!

Have you thought about running/walking? I run when the weather is good and LOVE that. I never thought I'd enjoy running, but it has been so good for me!

I'll second the Wii Fit! I have never found any type of program that I would do for longer than a few weeks...until now. Right after hubby leaves for work, I finish my coffee, quickly read email, and turn on the machine. The variety is great, and my favorite is the aerobic stepping...so much fun and very motivational. As soon as my 'time' is up, my two younger girls are bouncing down the stairs for their 20 minutes, too. So, it gets them out of bed on time, which makes school begin on time, etc. We all love it and I can feel a real difference in my overall strength already.

Ginger

You can do it, girl! Go for it! Age ain't nothin' but a number. :-)

Thanks, Kimber. I need all the encouragement I can get.

Do you have Comcast on Demand cable or Netflix? You can watch some of the exercise videos there and try them out for a while. I've found I really like the Shred videos too. But, they are TOUGH!! I did another workout today by the other guy on The Biggest Loser and it was tough, but he had alternatives to do if it was getting too hard.

I think the trick to "enjoying" the workout videos is mixing it up and the variety offered through the two places I mentioned above is perfect for me!

Have you thought about running/walking? I run when the weather is good and LOVE that. I never thought I'd enjoy running, but it has been so good for me!

I do have Comcast on demand. I'll look there after I put the kids to bed.

I had gotten into great shape before the baby. I was up to doing p90x and had Angela Basett biceps. It's just so frustrating starting from zero.

I dug up a picture of my skinny self to motivate me. :001_smile:

Also, it's not a video, but I am LOVING Wii Fit's strength workouts and also the yoga. Some of the aerobics are great, but not all of them.

I'll second the Wii Fit! I have never found any type of program that I would do for longer than a few weeks...until now. Right after hubby leaves for work, I finish my coffee, quickly read email, and turn on the machine. The variety is great, and my favorite is the aerobic stepping...so much fun and very motivational. As soon as my 'time' is up, my two younger girls are bouncing down the stairs for their 20 minutes, too. So, it gets them out of bed on time, which makes school begin on time, etc. We all love it and I can feel a real difference in my overall strength already.

Ginger

DH recommended the Wii fit, but I was skeptical as to how much use I could get from one in the area of fitness. I thought it was something for kids.

Lately I've been doing Zumba DVDs http://www.zumba.com/us/

(the dance/fitness craze that everyone does at the Y). Since I don't care for classes, I got my own set of DVDs (I bought mine much cheaper on eBay). Well let me tell you...the 20-minute express one kicks my butt. I've only done it for a few days and finally I'm starting to get the hang of it. But it is intense. I guess you could say I'm starting to enjoy it.

I also like T-Tapp stuff. They have a good walking DVD that really works your whole body. http://www.t-tapp.com/