Menu

Extremely dry skin/Cradle cap on newborn. Help!

My baby has had extremely dry skin since birth. He had no vernix on him at birth and his arms, legs, hands and feet had cracks on them. The nurses kept telling me to put cream on him, I did, then they would ask why I didn't do what they told me! The doctor said he looked like a 42-weeker with skin like that, although we are positive he was born at exactly 40 weeks.

Now, his scalp is the worst. I put moisturizer on it (we've tried everything from J&J lotion, vit. E, baby oil, plain olive oil, etc.), let it sit for a few minutes, scrub with gentle brush (sometimes with a sensitive skin cleanser, sometimes with nothing), and then moisturize (I've even tried skipping the last moisturizer). His scalp will look great for a few hours, then it looks just as bad. If I wait longer than a day to wash it again he will start scratching it himself (he's 3 1/2 months).

The only parts of his body that aren't dry and scaly are his cheeks and diaper area.

I'm frustrated. He's a happy guy otherwise. Complete strangers comment on his scalp when we go out in public. The only photos of him are immediately after a bath because his head looks so awful at other times. I've googled, and it seems he has seborrheic dermatitis.

Any other advice? I'm sure it isn't an allergy related to laundry detergent. I use only natural stuff and we use cloth diapers also. I'm wondering if it is related to something I'm eating?

He's my fifth baby and I've never dealt with anything this bad. My oldest had slight cradle cap, but it went away pretty easily.

By the way, DH is an MD, and he hasn't been very helpful except for saying it will go away eventually. Ugh. :glare:

Cradle cap can be a fungal infection. Has the doctor suggested trying anti-dandruff or anti-fungal hair shampoo on him? Selsun Blue and Head and Shoulders are often suggested.

http://mayoclinic.com/health/cradle-cap/DS01074/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

A more natural suggestion may be to try coconut oil. It has natural anti fungal properties.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

My son had horrible cradle cap until he was 2. The only thing I found to work was the Nettle soap at Chagrin Valley. Her soaps are all natural and didn't irriate Malcolm's sensitive skin. Once I started using it, his scalp cleared up in a week or so.

For his dry skin, have you tried putting lotion on him right after his bath while he's still damp? I need to do that for myself because of my super-dry skin.

Here's what I did for him and it worked beautifully:

In the bath, I poured some olive oil on his head and rubbed it in with my fingers really well. I let it sit on his scalp while I bathed him and washed up his body, about 5 min. Then I took a wash cloth and scrubbed until it flaked, then took a baby comb and combed his scalp with the olive oil still on it. I continued to comb and comb until there were no more flakes. Usually I would have been very leary of the "soft spot", but he's my third baby and the Dr. would always apply pressure there during his check ups, so I figured it would be ok to keep combing there. Once the flakes were gone, I rinsed his head.

The condition never came back, but if it had, I would have repeated this. It's way better than using T-gel or other dandriff product that would be painful if accidentally gotten in the eyes, not to mention they are so very harsh on such delicate skin.

Honestly? The *best* thing I found for cradle cap was dandruff shampoo. Seriously. Wash it with Head & Shoulders, and it'll go away asap. I promise.

The lotion, oil, etc. just doesn't work.

Good luck!

:iagree: for each of my dc I used selsen blue. Worked like a charm. FWIW, ds was born at 38 wks and he was 'overdone'. I would put a&d all over his feet(they were the worst) and then put socks on and leave them on. It seemed to help. Good luck.

I can vouch for the idea of putting on a heavy moisturizing ointment or oil and then leaving it on, covered. My ds had horrible cradle cap and finally I soaked his scalp in coconut oil, and put on a baby-hat overnight. In the morning I combed it all out - it took awhile but it did finally all come loose. Never had to repeat it overnight again. Hope you find something that works, or some answers for your little one!

Guest pinkmoxie

Two of our children had cradle cap, one really badly. Our pediatrician recommended tea tree oil, which came in a paste and can be bought at Whole Foods. It smells like eucalyptus and works wonderfully. Since it's a paste, it can't get in a baby's eyes.

One baby had cradle cap for awhile, and tea tree oil took great care of it.