Menu

Just a plug for Brimwood Press

KJB

The Young Historian's kit has been awesome. We've really enjoyed the worldview study and are getting a lot out of the lessons.

We've done four years of SOTW, followed by a US History study using the Hakim series, and now The Young Historian's kit from Brimwood Press. I am so happy with our grammar stage/early logic stage history studies. We have all learned so much.

FWIW, I have no connection to Brimwood Press. Just a satisfied customer wanting to share!

http://www.brimwoodpress.com/

We too are loving Brimwood Press. We've done the World View Studies, Toothpick Time, and are now doing 'What Every Child Should Know About Western Civilization'. This product uses 'Calendar Quest' to give an overview of western history. But if one just purchases 'Calendar Quest', most of the information will be missed. However I will say the lessons are taking longer than stated in the product. I am using about 2 lessons for every one scheduled.

I also have their Scroll Timeline and it is a very nice product and perfect for us as we have no wall space for any other kind (all windows).

I highly recommend the Coloring Book! We are completing ours and then will laminate them to make place mats. Every time we eat we can have a complete overview of Western Civilization!!! They make for fantastic review.

A great product for early logic stage!!

Penny

by a secular home schooler. The world view lessons give lots of opportunities to discuss world view from any theological or philosophical view. You are also encouraged to discuss and explain views other than your own. My children have found it very thought provoking and fun.

We're also using Philosophy for Kids by David White and it's tying in really nicely. This is an unexpected bonus for me!

http://www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Kids-Questions-Wonder-Everything/dp/1882664701/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1234359593&sr=11-1

Edited by KJB

by a secular home schooler. The world view lessons give lots of opportunities to discuss world view from any theological or philosophical view. You are also encouraged to discuss and explain views other than your own. My children have found it very thought provoking and fun.

We're also using Philosophy for Kids by David White and it's tying in really nicely. This is an unexpected bonus for me!

http://www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Kids-Questions-Wonder-Everything/dp/1882664701/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1234359593&sr=11-1

You may have just sold me. :D We're using (and loving) Philosophy for Kids as well so knowing that they complement each other is fantastic! Thank you so much!

I'm so glad to hear these kudos for Brimwood! I really was looking at Western Civ. and Calender Quest as an overview of History for my daughter who is 11.

Would someone care to describe it a bit further and how you are utilizing it? I wondered if it would go faster than SOTW has been for us. It seems we are really plodding through SOTW and I wonder if it is the format my daughter isn't responding or the way I'm presenting it. Comparisons and thoughts?

Meanwhile, I look forward to ordering...I also was interested in the Family Tree book, that looks like fun!

I'm so glad to hear these kudos for Brimwood! I really was looking at Western Civ. and Calender Quest as an overview of History for my daughter who is 11.

Would someone care to describe it a bit further and how you are utilizing it? I wondered if it would go faster than SOTW has been for us. It seems we are really plodding through SOTW and I wonder if it is the format my daughter isn't responding or the way I'm presenting it. Comparisons and thoughts?

Meanwhile, I look forward to ordering...I also was interested in the Family Tree book, that looks like fun!

OK, we just finished our lesson today, so I'm ready to respond!

First of all, it will not replace SOTW. It is self described as a quick fly by or fly over approach to history whereas SOTW is a slow wagon ride. You need both; SOTW to go over the details and Western Civilization to put it all together. For instance, I am amazed both by how much history my kids know and yet again by how they really don't know how it flows. Did Alexander the Great come before or after the Trojan War? Was Cleopatra an Old Civilization Pharoah? These questions they got mixed all up. But Brimwood Press's Western Civilization is tying this all together.

There are many resources included in the product. First there are cards that the children put in order during each lesson (these cards contain historical people). At first, they get them all confused,but you, the teacher do not correct them. Then as the lesson goes on, day by day, they learn the correct order of people and therefore, events. We review the cards every day to remember the major events each one depicts. Also, Brimwood provides stickers for each card. These are reminders of the achievements and events of the civilization. (For example a parthenon sticker for classical greece, a ziggurat for ancient Sumer.) These stickers are placed on the back of the card and we review these each day.

Next, Brimwood provides a sticker for the Calendar Quest story that is to be placed on the timeline. This is good for the visual display of how much time has passed in the story.

THey also provide the HATS stickers which I really haven't used, so I'll let someone else describe that.

Each lesson we read the Calendar Quest Story. Then we go over the information in the "What Every Child Needs to Know About Western Civilization" book. This book has LOTS of additional info. You really need it! We apply stickers, and the kids color in the coloring book they have. GET THIS. It is a complete overview of each civilization and their contribution! It is going to make great placemats!

OK, I wish I could proof this and do a better job explaining, but got to go.

I haven't spoke at all of Toothpick Time and World View, they are great also.

Penny

PS. THis is such a quick an unorganized review. I hope it helps.

However, I really couldn't afford to buy the whole kit.

I was thinking of just getting these:

Calendar Quest

What Every Child Needs to Know About Western Civilization

and the WorldView workbook

For those of you who have used the whole kit would this be okay or would I be missing an important component?

The Young Historian's kit has been awesome. We've really enjoyed the worldview study and are getting a lot out of the lessons.

We've done four years of SOTW, followed by a US History study using the Hakim series, and now The Young Historian's kit from Brimwood Press. I am so happy with our grammar stage/early logic stage history studies. We have all learned so much.

FWIW, I have no connection to Brimwood Press. Just a satisfied customer wanting to share!

http://www.brimwoodpress.com/

:iagree: Yep! We've used the big tool kit with the worldview lessons. Well done, engaging, and memorable!

but I do not own that particular product. Otherwise, as far as I can tell, the Christian or other religious flavor of the program is lite to nonexistant.

I would say, the program is the skeleton and you add the meat. They define in broad terms and you add in the specifics of your faith or philosophy. In other words, your child will learn what world view is and that different world views exist, and it will be up to you to describe and teach that in the context of your family religious beliefs.

If it bothers you to be encouraged to discuss what other faiths or philosophies believe, than the program might not be a good fit. There is also no tone of "This is what those other guys think, but of course, they're wrong...." The lessons seem designed to be utilized regardless of your faith.

The Toothpick time lessons (which we have just finished) are similar.

We are just starting the lessons on Western Civ.

I think you will be happy with the program regardless of your own particular world view, although, I haven't finished the program so keep that in mind!

The World View Program is completely unbiased. It is very hands on, which leads to better understanding. For instance, the different world views are illustrated by creating different boxes for each that sort of show characteristics of each (you just have to see it and do it to understand). Then the children sort religions according to each wv. This is a great activity!! There are others too. (One word of caution..I could not read some of the extra stories included in the back of the book. These stories explained how wv caused some peoples to do replusive acts. My 11 year olds are just not ready for seeing the real world in all its gruesomeness. However, I'm sure some families would think it fine.)

The curriculum does encourage parents and children to understand their own wv and research the reason why they hold that view. All wv's must rely on some rational thought. This was the hardest part for me....being able to explain our wv to my children and why I believe it is the most rational. I had actually researched this quiet a bit when I transitioned from agnostic to Christian some 10 years ago, but explaining such complex topics is much more difficult than simply reading them and getting a grasp of the main points. But, you don't even have to do that to follow the curriculum.

About just listening to Calendar Quest on audio......Calendar Quest is just an introduction into the meat of history. Without the companion product 'What Every Child Needs to Know..." I don't think we'd get that much out of it. It probably would be enlightening, but easy to forget, and MUCH would be missing. Also, this part of the program is completely unbiased. Jesus is covered in the program, but it seems impossible to study Western history and the calendar without learning about Jesus!

Blessings,

Penny

First of all, it will not replace SOTW. It is self described as a quick fly by or fly over approach to history whereas SOTW is a slow wagon ride. You need both; SOTW to go over the details and Western Civilization to put it all together. For instance, I am amazed both by how much history my kids know and yet again by how they really don't know how it flows. Did Alexander the Great come before or after the Trojan War? Was Cleopatra an Old Civilization Pharoah? These questions they got mixed all up. But Brimwood Press's Western Civilization is tying this all together.

There are many resources included in the product. First there are cards that the children put in order during each lesson (these cards contain historical people). At first, they get them all confused,but you, the teacher do not correct them. Then as the lesson goes on, day by day, they learn the correct order of people and therefore, events. We review the cards every day to remember the major events each one depicts. Also, Brimwood provides stickers for each card. These are reminders of the achievements and events of the civilization. (For example a parthenon sticker for classical greece, a ziggurat for ancient Sumer.) These stickers are placed on the back of the card and we review these each day.

Next, Brimwood provides a sticker for the Calendar Quest story that is to be placed on the timeline. This is good for the visual display of how much time has passed in the story.

THey also provide the HATS stickers which I really haven't used, so I'll let someone else describe that.

Each lesson we read the Calendar Quest Story. Then we go over the information in the "What Every Child Needs to Know About Western Civilization" book. This book has LOTS of additional info. You really need it! We apply stickers, and the kids color in the coloring book they have. GET THIS. It is a complete overview of each civilization and their contribution! It is going to make great placemats!

OK, I wish I could proof this and do a better job explaining, but got to go.

I haven't spoke at all of Toothpick Time and World View, they are great also.

Penny

PS. THis is such a quick an unorganized review. I hope it helps.

Penny: Thank you so much for going over this information! I think that I will end up getting Western Civilization and Calender Quest at some point in the next year. I was really undecided but your review helped a great deal. My dd11 loves history but doesn't seem to have a concept of the "flow" and I really did want a good overview to put everything in place. This sounds perfect!

Thanks again!

We completed our first cycle of history this summer. My plan was to finish our cycle early summer and then do Brimwood over the summer. Well, life intervened with health issues last year and a move over the summer so I ended up still finishing up our history rotation in Aug. After our move I started Brimwood and did it over 5/6 weeks. Of course this meant that we got a late start on the Ancients again. BUT it was so worth it to fit this program in before our next rotation.

My only regret is that in the midst of unpacking and trying to get school done I did not do the timeline even though I purchased it. I haven't decided if I should sell it or hold on to it anyway.