Menu

you know how some people do a tv blackout week?

Emmy

Well I think we need a lego/playmobil blackout week. Seriously - my kids are so wrapped up in these two things right now I can't get them to do anything else without a battle. Every school break, every afternoon after we finish, every evening before bed and every morning before we start school they are building big scenes with their legos and playmobil and getting all consumed by their stories and play. I'm having to really get firm with them about starting school or coming back to work after a break - it's really driving me nuts! Not to mention there are other things we could do.....play board games, do a puzzle, paint, etc.

I'm not sure if this is a vent or plea for help.....I'm just frustrated right now! ugh!

Edited by Emmy

Emmy, you could limit their use to the time AFTER school work is done. This is what we had to do at our house for cartoons and video games. I think little boys just tend to find something to obsess over. Maybe a smarter approach even than this would be to have a short list of things they are allowed to do during school breaks (run laps? throw a ball back and forth outside? color a picture or play a board game?)

Many times I have had the kids pack up all the Lego into Rubbermaid tubs and carry them out to the garage for a period of time (up to all summer). They turn to other toys and games that have been "neglected." They know that I am serious when I ask them to clean up the mess or out it goes.

I think I might be on the opposition side on this...although I do agree that they should do school work first. I am a big fan of letting kids get into the "flow" meaning they are focused, able to concentrate and tune out the rest of the world and get into their own. The interest in it will end soon enough but for now, what is the harm? They can build big things and use their imagination. They need a place where they can play and leave their stuff out and carry the game on from day to day without having to start over every day. That feeling of excitement and total immersion in something is a good quality to carry over into adulthood. Just another opinion - take it for what it is worth (or as my dad used to say, take my advice, I'm not using it).

My dd did that with comic books one year. They were mental potato chips for her, and very ADDICTIVE! And unfortunately, once someone is addicted to something, you have to do radical amputation, to an extent that you wouldn't have to with a normal person. So yes, take them away, totally away. And they don't come back out again in a week, because the same thing will happen, sorry. They're taken away permanently and they have a new structure of coming out. Perhaps they go in baskets way up high in a closet and they only come out when they have permission and have completed all their work. Then they are put away at the end of the play session. Radical amputation, radical amputation.

The interest in it will end soon enough but for now, what is the harm?

Unfortunately, some kids don't do that. It feeds something in their personalities, and they can just keep going forever. My dd would read comic books non-stop for a MONTH if I let her, no joke. And still she'd keep going! And the harm is that it's like mental potato chips. A little bit is fine, but too much and they get fat. The imbalance is not good.

I'm not decrying having a continued interest, all for that. I'm just saying if it's gotten to imbalanced addiction, which stuff can with some kids, you may have to take drastic action to curb it. I wanted and wanted to let it ride out, thinking it would fizzle on its own, and it DIDN'T.

Sime problem. So last week I finally had to create a new rule - no Legos before school or at break time. All schoolwork, piano practice, and chores must be done before one Lego is touched.

There has been much wailing and gnashing of teeth since then (them, not me), but it has definitely helped.

Unfortunately, some kids don't do that. It feeds something in their personalities, and they can just keep going forever. My dd would read comic books non-stop for a MONTH if I let her, no joke. And still she'd keep going! And the harm is that it's like mental potato chips. A little bit is fine, but too much and they get fat. The imbalance is not good.

I'm not decrying having a continued interest, all for that. I'm just saying if it's gotten to imbalanced addiction, which stuff can with some kids, you may have to take drastic action to curb it. I wanted and wanted to let it ride out, thinking it would fizzle on its own, and it DIDN'T.

But don't you think there's a difference between comic books (passive entertainment) and pretend play (requires creativity and imagination)?

I like the idea of limiting them to after school work is done, so that the OP doesn't have to do battle when it's time to switch gears to studies.

Thanks for all the responses! To be sure, it's a better problem to have than some other things but it's causing a major problem in our day when we have to quibble about everything. This wasn't an issue last semester or even just after Christmas - it's been building up in the last 3 weeks or so. We are getting close to taking a break and I think the kids are getting a bit stir crazy (mama too!).

My plan is to take next week off, so I may let this go for the rest of the week and next week, then when we get back to school the week after I can set forth a new rule about waiting until after school time to play them. I kind of hate to do that but I also hate the impact it's having on our learning time.

But don't you think there's a difference between comic books (passive entertainment) and pretend play (requires creativity and imagination)?

Not really. Now my dd is doing it with chess and playing a chess tutorial on the computer. She'll play the thing for HOURS, to the exclusion of anything else. It's a personality thing I guess. You just have to go with your gut about when it's getting imbalanced and not be afraid to take it away. And my point was that the more extreme the devotion to it, sometimes the more extreme our measures must be to curb it. And unfortunately, there's a line where that also crosses into discipline. (you take it away, they whine, consequences, discipline foundation that curbs whining, that sort of thing)

See, back when I had this comic book thing going on a couple years ago, I posted with the same sort of thread, only insert that genre of books instead of legos... I'd turn my back during the school day and she was reading them. She was reading them to the exclusion of anything else. It was just insane. Well I got some responses, don't even remember exactly what they said (probably laughs of incredulity, haha), and finally I realized I was being rediculous, that I was going to have to do FOR her what she clearly couldn't do for HERSELF! I did it, and peace returned. In fact, it was amazing how easy it was. Sometimes we have to do that.