Menu

English/language arts for 2nd grade

skissugar

This past year 1st grade I have attempted to use Sonlight language arts but, my dd just isnt getting it.. so back to the basics we go.. any suggestions? I was going to use Voyages in English.. but it seems when I search I get a ton of negative reviews.. I need something that teaches basic grammar i guess.. any ideas?

We have used Queen's Language Lessons and Primary Language Lessons. They are a very gentle and slow moving approach. We liked them but they simply weren't a match for my children. CLE is workbook style and more rigorous. We had better results with CLE as it fit their learning styles better. Good luck finding a match that fits you and your children.

I like FLL for that level. I like to have dc do narrations for history, which I copy onto the white board and dd then copies into her history notebook. I also had her copy some poetry and bible verses. We tried Rod and Staff, but it was too repetitious, and we are saving it until she comes home again, in 4th grade (we'll use Grade 3 then). I also like using the Grammar Rock program and dvd.

After a year of hodge-podging (my speciality:tongue_smilie:), including using some portions of SL LA, I'm finally finding the right groove for my almost seven year old. He'll be doing the following for the rest of this year and into second grade:

Explode the Code 4, 5, 6 w/ games from Happy Phonics

Handwriting Without Tears

First Language Lessons 1

Writing With Ease 1

Living Memory w/ extra memory work from The Harp & The Laurel Wreath

Song School Greek (we haven't started this yet but he has learned the Greek alphabet this year and I'm purchasing this product as soon as it's available, should be only a few more weeks)

Edited by Donna T.