Menu

someone stole and replaced my daughters tires?

The most bizarre thing happened to my daughter. She just put 4 new snow tires on her car. Yesterday when she went to get in she noticed the front tires had been replaced with old, cheap bald tires. The passenger side hub cap was missing but the drivers side one was on. She was parked at a bowling alley Saturday night and thinks that is where it had to have happened. It is so weird we don't even know what to think or do. Have you ever heard of this? Her insurance deductible won't cover the theft so she is just out $$ she cannot afford. She called the police last night and they gave her a different number to call this morning, after she spent a few minutes trying to make them understand what happened. Picture the scenario - someone with old tires drives around looking for a car like theirs, with new tires, jacks up their car, takes off the tire, jacks up my daughters car, switches the tires and then does the same on the other side? And they take the time to put the hubcap back on? Would they have done all four if she hadn't come out? And what if she comes out while they are replacing the tires? Do they leave the jack behind and drive away? At first we thought it was a practical joke by a friend but no one has fessed up. It is so weird...and maddening. :001_huh::glare::cursing::banghead:

WTHeck? How wierd. Honestly some people :glare:

The most bizarre thing happened to my daughter. She just put 4 new snow tires on her car. Yesterday when she went to get in she noticed the front tires had been replaced with old, cheap bald tires. The passenger side hub cap was missing but the drivers side one was on. She was parked at a bowling alley Saturday night and thinks that is where it had to have happened. It is so weird we don't even know what to think or do. Have you ever heard of this? Her insurance deductible won't cover the theft so she is just out $$ she cannot afford. She called the police last night and they gave her a different number to call this morning, after she spent a few minutes trying to make them understand what happened. Picture the scenario - someone with old tires drives around looking for a car like theirs, with new tires, jacks up their car, takes off the tire, jacks up my daughters car, switches the tires and then does the same on the other side? And they take the time to put the hubcap back on? Would they have done all four if she hadn't come out? And what if she comes out while they are replacing the tires? Do they leave the jack behind and drive away? At first we thought it was a practical joke by a friend but no one has fessed up. It is so weird...and maddening. :001_huh::glare::cursing::banghead:

Have your dd talk with the tire place about putting locks on the rims---that way you can not take the tire off without the key.

Back in my single pre-kids days, I drove a jeep with great off-road tires. When we went to replace them the tire place suggested the locks since I was going off to college. My dad did it, my Mom and I thought it was a rip. Until one day, there was a jack on my car where someone had tried to steal the tires but could not because of the locks!! Loved Dad that day!!!

Lynda

I doubt they put the tires directly on their vehicle, they probably had the old tires in the back of a pickup truck and just jacked her car up and replaced the tires- without taking the time to put them on their vehicle right there. Are there any outdoor security cameras in the area?

It was someone knowledgeable about tires that wouldn't look out of place taking them off another vehicle, I would bet. I'm sorry it happened, rim locks sound like a good idea.

I'm surprised that they took the time to put the "replacement" tires on correctly. Imagine if they hadn't bolted them on, and they had flown off while your dd was driving home!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

And in case they didn't put them on correctly, be sure and check all lug nuts ASAP!

If you have the sales receipt, check to see if the serial number was recorded, or if the seller recorded the serial number. Then maybe check Craigslist or someplace for used tires for sale, find the right size and check out the serial number.