Menu

Oak Meadow 5 ~ what is your opinion?

lovemykids

I would add another math curriculum, spelling, and possibly some grammar...so what do you think of the science/ and the social studies integrated with English aspect? Opinions please! Have you used the program...how was it? :bigear: If you haven't used it, fine, but what do you think about it?:001_huh:

It's a far cry from following the WTM, but I am about doing what works...we can always go back to some form of WTM the next year.

I do not plan to continue with OM, only take a break with them. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you!

Edited by lovemykids

Thanks for your reply, I have a hunch what they will say over there. :tongue_smilie::lol:

I was hoping to get some feedback here, since I feel like I'm going off the deep end or something. Maybe someone before me has also had the same thought pattern. Or at the very least, one of you could save me from making a huge mistake.

Honestly, I feel pretty confident enough in my own assumptions, but wanted to put feelers out anyway.

Thanks again!

So..anyone?:grouphug:

OM 5 is pretty rigorous. It presents things in a less formal way, but all the usual work is there, if you choose to do it, along with a plethora of ideas for crafts and other activities. It's much more creative than the workbook approach.

It gives a weekly plan instead of a daily, but there is plenty of work in there. It just expects flexibility, not rigidity.

It's not the deep end. Not even close. It's actually on par with Calvert grade 5 in terms of difficulty level.

The science is great. Well laid out and interesting. Same for the history.

They will have a 20% off sale either in April or June - and it has an excellent resale value.

HTH - Penny

PS: The only thing you would have to add is Latin if you wanted that. Spelling and vocabulary are included.

Edited by Peso

I ordered OM 4 for this year, but ended up returning it. Honestly, I think I just wanted to do LLATL this year. OM 5 is pretty rigorous. My friend's dd is doing it now. She's a bright girl and is being challenged. The one thing my friend doesn't like is that it only has weekly lesson plans, not daily.

I don't think I'll be using the science. Probably the math, history, and literature. I will add a spelling program, and maybe a grammar program (probably K12). I am also considering Laurel Springs, which is very much like Oak Meadow.

HTH! Nan

I am using OM 5 this year. I really like it, but I really like OM. :)

I add math, a full language arts curriculum, Latin and French. I do not do the grammar lessons added (except in grades K-3) but do use the vocabulary and writing. Personally, I think it is a great program.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello,

I never used this, I did pour over it quite a bit though. I was looking at many different types of curricula since my DH and I were considering a divorce. For now, things are okay so I am notlooking for a drastic change. Even if things were to head that way, I think I may stay along the classical lines. I do still like the looks of their science though! Looks great. I suggest you go to the yahoo group for more information on OM.

Hope that helps.

:)

From what I understand they focus a lot on writing from about fifth grade and up. Also the science looks to be pretty in depth. I am not sure. High school looks a little on the dry side, but overall not bad.

I do love the nature loving waldorfy type feel focus in the early years though. It’s just not up to par with a classical education though. But fun.

We're using OM 1 with my dd this year, and I am following the ideas of OM 3 with my son (just using different books). At this stage, we do switch out the math and science - we're die hard Saxon fans for math, and we're using that free science program from Mr Q's Lab.

I am really looking forward to OM 4 and up. I think they look challenging, fairly rigorous, and definately have a lot of options for different assignments. We'll continue with Saxon Math & I haven't decided about 4 and 5 science yet, but we'll see.

We're using OM 1 with my dd this year, and I am following the ideas of OM 3 with my son (just using different books). At this stage, we do switch out the math and science - we're die hard Saxon fans for math, and we're using that free science program from Mr Q's Lab.

I am really looking forward to OM 4 and up. I think they look challenging, fairly rigorous, and definately have a lot of options for different assignments. We'll continue with Saxon Math & I haven't decided about 4 and 5 science yet, but we'll see.

Hi G! :)

So I peeked at your blog and the way that you are using OM is exactly the way I would use it. I do have some of the books and have read the stories to my children. Very lovely!

We would just have to add too many things to make it useable and it wouldn’t be cost effective.

I decided against using any OM past third grade but I will look forward to your review of fourth and up. I really enjoy hearing how people are blending other methods in a classical frame to make it fit their family.

Enjoy!

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier. We use OM and love it. I chose not to use OM5, though, but only because we are Canadian and I did not want to spend a whole year on American history studies.

OM is quite rigourous. It asks for a lot of thinking (creatively and objectively) and writing. Each lesson has options for activities/assignments, so you can pick and choose to your child's strength (some assignments are more arty, some more investigative).

I find the integration of subjects to be one of the strongest elements of the program. It helps to ingrain the ideas when the child is working with them in more than a single focus.

FWIW, instead of OM5, we chose to do OM6 over 2 years, supplementing with additional assignments and library books where inspired to do so.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier. We use OM and love it. I chose not to use OM5, though, but only because we are Canadian and I did not want to spend a whole year on American history studies.

OM is quite rigourous. It asks for a lot of thinking (creatively and objectively) and writing. Each lesson has options for activities/assignments, so you can pick and choose to your child's strength (some assignments are more arty, some more investigative).

I find the integration of subjects to be one of the strongest elements of the program. It helps to ingrain the ideas when the child is working with them in more than a single focus.

FWIW, instead of OM5, we chose to do OM6 over 2 years, supplementing with additional assignments and library books where inspired to do so.

Thanks for your response, but I asked this question back in February of ‘09. :lol: So you are a little late. J/K. ;) Jennifer revived this to ask about it for her dd.

Thanks for your review! I do respect OM as a wonderful curriculum resource even if I feel it's lacking a little in the phonics department for beginning reading. I love the writing, and the way it integrates subjects and gives the child a choice in assignments.