Menu

Has anyone heard of Excellence in Literature by IEW

I have been using Level 1 with my dd. We are beginning unit 3 tomorrow. We both love it because it uses whole books. I like that it gives the context links for both the author and the time period (in which the author lived and in which the book was written). My dd also likes the film suggestions; these have broaden our disscussion of the book vs. film.

There are 3 writing assignments with each unit. The last on being a 500-word essay with writing prompt. There is a rubic for evaluating the papers along with samples for each type of paper. This is great. For those that need more hand holding (like me) if you own IEW-TWSS you could just refer back to each unit on how to write each type of paper.

There is also an Honors option which contains an additional book & paper per unit, plus a research paper for the year. There is also recommendations on which CLEP or AP Test to take.

So far we really like the program and plan to continue using them. It seems that if your student has read one of the books it would be easy to skip that unit or just substitute another and plugging in your own context links, etc., and making up a essay prompt using the one listed as a model.

I started with volume 1 because that is what was available for download at that time. Now she has almost all the volumes available for download and print form, I think. I would think that a high schooler could start in any volume as long as they have good reading and writing skills.

Here is what it says on the website:

How should I determine placement in Excellence in Literature?

Students who are ready for Excellence in Literature should be reading at high-school level, and have adequate skills in grammar, spelling, and language mechanics. I expect students to grammar- and spell-check all papers before turning them in, as learning to self-edit is part of the writing process (and this is something that is always required in college and in real life). Students should be willing to follow the syllabus; to ask questions anytime they need help; and read evaluations when they are returned.

The five levels of Excellence in Literature increase gradually in difficulty. This is measured both by the level of challenge in the reading assignments, and in the length and subject matter of the writing assignments. An eighth-grader may begin with English I or II, but so may a tenth-grader who has little or no previous writing experience. A student who is comfortable with writing, and is ready for a more challenging study, may wish to begin with English III, IV, or IV. Finally, you may choose placement based on literature you want to read. After all, you tend to remember well the things you enjoy!

Please show me where I am missing this: I only see Vol. 1, 3 and 4 for sale. Where are Vol. 2 and 5? Wouldn't you know it, those are the two I am most interested in and I can't find where they are for sale???

• 4 weeks later...
I have been using Level 1 with my dd. We are beginning unit 3 tomorrow. We both love it because it uses whole books. I like that it gives the context links for both the author and the time period (in which the author lived and in which the book was written). My dd also likes the film suggestions; these have broaden our discussion of the book vs. film.

Are there no discussion questions for each book?

There are no discussion questions for the books. She recommends using other resources such as SparkNotes or Cliff Notes for discussion/literary analysis. If the student has not done that type of discussion before she recommends How to Read a Book, Teaching the Classics, and a few other books (sorry can't remember exactly).

Each syllabus is written directly to the student and gives them information in the beginning of each on how to get the most from each book using various techniques, such reading each book twice (once for pleasure and then again with annotation and to complete the assignments). There is also an appendix of recommended resources.