Menu

I don't know what it is about SOTW3...

Mommyfaithe

We LOVED 1&2...all of us. Maybe it is Jim Weiss instead of barbara ?? Maybe I am not at all familiar with World History during this time period and feel a yearning for more American History (I love when my littlies dress up like Davy Crockett...sigh...) Maybe I just am not interested, so my kids aren't either. Maybe I am tired of looking at wide eyed blank stares when I ask the narration questions or when I try to get them to tell me ANYTHING about what they heard. Maybe I feel like my 5th grader should be doing some independent reading and I don't have a real good comprehensive book list for her to follow with this type of World history and my first inclination is to fall back on BF Intermediate American guide and go from there....

Anyone else?? Tell me what you did to spice up SOTW3 and make it fit. I am using this with my 10 year old 5th grader and 6 1/2 year old (blank stare) 1rst grader folded in.

My 5 y/o is just a table decoration who amuses us, but is not condusive to any kind of focused study. OH< I am not trying to get too deep here...just trying to have them follow the gist and maybe have some fun. I am very focused on Math, writing, reading instruction and phonics/ spelling. I want our history to be fun and memorable. Something they ask for and look forward to reading. So far, they really only want to go back to the Greek and Roman stories of SOTW 1 and the Middle Ages Fairy Tales....LOL

~~Faithe (who longs for a cuddly tall tale and some patriotic stories of valor.)

I am finally enjoying history this year (year 3)! :) I feel like I'm finally in familiar waters. I'm using Biblioplan year 3 along with STOW. It gives age appropriate reading lists that really bring the time period alive. If you have a good library system, it might be worth purchasing Biblioplan and use it for the reading lists. Oh, it also gives the appropriate pages in Usborne and Kingfisher history books for your 5th grader.

We did SOTW 1 and 2 and dd loved them both (3rd & 4th grade). After looking at SOTW 3, I decided we would just do American History for 5th and 6th. dd loves studying history more indepth, with lots of outside reading, so I'm hoping this will work for us. We will pick up SOTW 3 in 7th grade.

We are on that chapter right now. He was at the Alamo. I'm just glad that SOTW doesn't glorify these men out of proportion to what they accomplished. He was a good marksman, and he was a politician (Tennessee representative), but evidently not a stellar one because he did not get re-elected. Then apparently when he did not get re-elected, he told his public that they could all go to h*ll, and he would go to Texas. (No, I didn't get that from SOTW....:lol:)

We have done a lot of American History this year by supplementing with lots of books about the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, Paul Revere, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams (all books suggested in the AG!), the History of US (Volume 4 - The New Nation is particularly good, and I like the last chapter for memorizing the first 15 presidents).

And simply include a lot of U.S. History in your memory work, which both WTM book itself and the SOTW 3 Activity Guide recommend explicitly (no extra planning involved!).

All of this is to say, "Just hang in there." This is why we will finish SOTW 3 in the middle of February 2009 instead of June of 2008......

And lots of good picture books are recommended in the AG. Do I maybe have a newer version or something? For example, right now we have a book out from the library called "Susanna of the Alamo: A True Story" by John Jakes. Gorgeous illustrations (Paul Bacon) and a gripping story, but not for young ones since her husband (and the father of her children) dies in the Alamo and they are right there inside hearing the cannons and gunshots. But it is a picture book. I think the reason that SOTW 3 does not recommend many "young" picture books is because if you follow the chronological history plan, your student will be at least a third grader. There are some recommendations for "younger siblings and reluctant readers" though.

HTH a little! (And Davy Crockett is featured in the picture book mentioned previously, playing his fiddle to keep spririts high...)

Julie

Edited by buddhabelly
SOTW 3 student would be a 3rd grader, not 4th grader

Like KIN, we are using Biblioplan with SOTW 3 and we are loving it. It's a lot of reading and will probably end up being a full year course for us rather than 9 months. But we really enjoy what we're reading. It does maybe 6 weeks of American history in one unit, then 6 weeks of world history in the next, then back to American, etc. When studying American history, you see how light SOTW is on American history. We just finished up the American Revolution and loved it (and most of it came from sources other than SOTW). I could easily think, "wow, we should spend a whole year just on American history", but my 8 yo was just as eager to go on and find out about the French Revolution. So maybe just more outside reading would help add more zest to SOTW. It doesn't have to be Biblioplan--we read lots of the AG books too and think there are some great ones there.

(maybe I shouldn't admit this here, but we don't really do narrations. If it's killing off the interest, just read! Read great books and talk about them informally)

We added in lots of American history related read-alouds - from SL (Core 4?) and WTM historical fiction (7th grade). Most of the ones I chose would be way beyond a 6yo, but surely there are others?

And, I read fairy tales (from Grimms, Perault and East of the Sun) for 15 minutes a day. (I would add in Hans Christian Andersen if I could re-do it.)

These were some of our best memories from last year.

We are on that chapter right now. He was at the Alamo. I'm just glad that SOTW doesn't glorify these men out of proportion to what they accomplished. He was a good marksman, and he was a politician (Tennessee representative), but evidently not a stellar one because he did not get re-elected. Then apparently when he did not get re-elected, he told his public that they could all go to h*ll, and he would go to Texas. (No, I didn't get that from SOTW....:lol:)

We have done a lot of American History this year by supplementing with lots of books about the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, Paul Revere, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams (all books suggested in the AG!), the History of US (Volume 4 - The New Nation is particularly good, and I like the last chapter for memorizing the first 15 presidents).

And simply include a lot of U.S. History in your memory work, which both WTM book itself and the SOTW 3 Activity Guide recommend explicitly (no extra planning involved!).

All of this is to say, "Just hang in there." This is why we will finish SOTW 3 in the middle of February 2009 instead of June of 2008......

And lots of good picture books are recommended in the AG. Do I maybe have a newer version or something? For example, right now we have a book out from the library called "Susanna of the Alamo: A True Story" by John Jakes. Gorgeous illustrations (Paul Bacon) and a gripping story, but not for young ones since her husband (and the father of her children) dies in the Alamo and they are right there inside hearing the cannons and gunshots. But it is a picture book. I think the reason that SOTW 3 does not recommend many "young" picture books is because if you follow the chronological history plan, your student will be at least a third grader. There are some recommendations for "younger siblings and reluctant readers" though.

HTH a little! (And Davy Crockett is featured in the picture book mentioned previously, playing his fiddle to keep spririts high...)

Julie

THANK YOU!!!! I feel better already. I think I had a momentary lapse of weirdness from my wide eyed stares...mine and theirs. I really am unfamiliar with the history of the Far East in this time period, so maybe I should just pre-read and pick out some good reads for me...so I can get excited about it. If I am excited...they get excited.

~~Faithe

I am using SOTW 3 with my 3rd grade ds. This week it dawned on me that we could take an extra week to study the American Revolution. I have a lot of the sonlight US history core readers and some books recommended by WTM...no way we were going to get thru all of them in one week! It dawned on me that hey! I am a homeschooler! I can go at whatever pace seems best! It's been a great week. Last night dh was tucking him into bed and asked if he was reading Johnny Tremain. Dc answered, "Yes, and I also have to read it for school." So funny! He is enjoying it so much he's reading it "outside" school. I feel like a commercial.

We are also memorizing some selections from the Declaration of Independence, thanks to Living Memory by Andrew Campbell.

To answer the original question of how we are getting through all the info...for a while it was kind of a struggle. I was just happy if he could grasp a big picture. Much of this is new to me too. And, we'll be covering it again in the future, so I am not really worried if he doesn't remember too much. I just want him to enjoy history and reading. Good luck!

Amy

I'm taking 3 years on SOTW 3 &4 bc I'm adding in Truthquest American History for Young Students 1-3.

TQ Vol. 1-3:

1. Explorers-1800

2. 1800-1865

3. 1865-present

I have two notebooks going - SOTW 3 and 1 large notebook for TQ with 3 dividers for each year. I spend most of my time on TQ bc there is a wealth of children's lit for American History. My library has most of the TQ treasures and I buy a few key oop works from Alibris or ABE books. I love TQ! But, I want to keep up with the world too, so for SOTW we listen to the Jim Weiss cd while we follow along in the book. We do the maps and coloring page. We take the test. I keep reviewing the previous chapter with the flashcards. But that's it. I don't line the two programs up, but I will end SOTW 3 at 1800 and I'll continue on with that and the first 5 chapters of SOTW4 next year.

We all love history now! Here is a list of what we've read so far! Many are easy readers and picture books bc my kids are young, but that's the beauty of TQ! The * means one of my children will check it out in the summer bc they didn't get to it yet.

History Reading (Exploration – 1800):

Spines:

This Country of Ours

A Child’s Story of America

The Story of the 13 Colonies

The Story of the Great Republic

Viking - DK Eyewitness

Adventures with the Vikings, Linda Bailey

The Vikings; Journey into Civilization

Viking World – Usborne Internet linked

Eric the Red and Leif the Lucky, Barbara Schiller

Leif the Lucky, Ingri & Edgar D’Aulaire

Before Columbus – The Leif Ericksson Expedition, Elizabeth Cody Kimmel

Viking Adventure, Clyde Robert Bulla

The Discovery of the Americas, Betsy and Guilio Maestro

Where do you think You are Going, Christopher Columbus?, Jean Fritz

A Picture Book of Christopher Columbus, David Adler

Ronald Syme Explorers biographies – set of 10 *

Explorers Who Got Lost, Diane Dreher *

Around the World in 100 Years, Jean Fritz *

The Lost Colony (Roanoke), Jean Bothwell

The Lost Colony, Jean Fritz *

Settlers on a Strange Shore, Edith McCall

Virginia Dare Mystery Girl, Augusta Stevenson

A Lion to Guard Us, Clyde Robert Bulla

Jamestown New World Adventure, James E. Knight

The Story of Jamestown – Cornerstone, Marion Prolman

Who’s Saying What in Jamestown, Thomas Savage. Jean Fritz *

Pocahontas, Ingri & Edgar Parin D’Aulaire

Pocahontas and the Strangers, Clyde Robert Bulla

The Captive Princess, Wendy Lawton *

The First Book of Early Settlers, Louise Rich

The Story of the Thirteen Colonies, Clifford Lindsey Alderman

Growing up in a New World, Brandon Marie Miller

If You Sailed on the Mayflower in 1620, Ann McGovern

If Your Were at the First Thanksgiving, Anne Kamma

The Pilgrims of Plimouth, Marcia Sewall

The Thanksgiving Story, Alice Dagliesh

Priscilla Alden and the First Thanksgiving, Alice Benjamin Boynton

The House at Stink Alley, F.N. Monj

Sarah Morton’s Day/ Samuel Eaton’s Day/ On the Mayflower by Kate Waters

The Landing of the Pilgrims, James Daugherty

Stories of the Pilgrims, Margaret Pumphrey

Voyage to Freedom, David Gay *

Squanto Friend of the Pilgrims, Clyde Robert Bulla

Peter and the Pilgrims, Louise Vernon *

Almost There, Mayflower’s Mary Chilton, Wendy Lawton

Sarah’s New World, The Mayflower Adventure (Sisters in Time series), Colleen L. Reece

Rebekah in Danger, Peril at Plymouth Colony (Sisters in Time series), Colleen L. Reece

Meet the Pilgrim Fathers (Step Up), Elizabeth Payne

Constance, A Story of Early Plymouth, Patricia Clapp *

Squanto, Young Indian Hunter (COFA), Augusta Stevenson *

William Bradford, Pilgrim Boy (COFA), Bradford Smith *

Myles Standish, Adventurous Boy (COFA), Augusta Stevenson *

John Alden, Young Puritan (COFA), Olive W. Burt *

Sarah Whitcher’s Story, Elizabeth Yates

Tattered Sails, Verla Kay

Sailing to America, James Knight

Anne Bradstreet (COFA)

Finding Providence – Avi

True Boook of Indians, Teri Martini

Eastern Woodland Indians, Mir Tamim Anersly

Meet the North American Indians, Elizabeth Payne

Eyewitness: North American Indians, David Murdoch

More than Moccasins, Laurie Carlson

Small Wolf, Nathaniel Benchley

Good Hunting, Blue Sky, Peggy Parish

If You Lived with the Cherokee, Peter & Connie Roop

Little Runner of the Longhouse, Betty Baker

LaSalle of the Mississippi, Ronald Syme *

Pirate Diary, Richard Platt *

Hostage on the Nighthawk (Trailblazer), David and Neta Jackson *

Story of William Penn, Aliki

Colonial Life, Bobbie Kalman

A Colonial Town – Williamsburg, Bobbie Kalman

Life on Plantation, Bobbie Kalman

The Kitchen, Bobbie Kalman

Home Crafts, Bobbie Kalman

The Gristmill, Bobbie Kalman

Pioneer Dictionary, Bobbie Kalman

The New Americans, Colonial Times (1620-1689), Betsy & Giulio Maestro

If you Lived in Colonial Times, Ann McGovern

African Americans in the 13 Colonies (Cornerstone), Deborah Kent

The Farm: Life in Colonial Pennsylvania, James Knight

The Village: Life in Colonial Times, James Knight

Boys & Girls of Colonial Days, Carolyn Sherwin Bailey

Children of the Handicrafts, Carolyn Sherwin Bailey

A Book of Americans, Stephen Vincent Benet

Colonial Craftsmen

Colonial Living

The Young United States

Shaw’s Fortune: The Picture Story of a Colonial Plantation, all by Edwin Tunis

Courage of Sarah Noble, Elizabeth Yates

Thy Friend Obadiah

Rachel and Obadiah

Obadiah the Bold all by Brinton Turkle

Emma’s Journal: The Story of a Colonial Girl, Marissa Moss

Medicine in Colonial America, Charlie Samuel

Colonial Kids, Laurie Carlson

Art of Colonial America, Shirley Glubock

Struggle for a Continent, Betsy & Guilio Maestro

Indian Wars, Richard Morris

Swords of the Wilderness, Elizabeth Coatworth

Blackthorn Winter

Susan Creek, both by Douglas Wilson

Squalls Before War: His Magesty’s Schooner Sultan, Ned Bustard

Susannah Wesley, Sandy Dengler

Chimney’s Sweep Ransom (Trailblazer), David and Neta Jackson

Maggie’s Choice (Sisters in Time), Norma Lutz

Printer’s Apprentice, Stephen Krensky

My Brother, My Enemy, Madge Harrah

Bound for America, Jim Haskins

Amos Fortune, Free Man, Elizabeth Yates

Charlie’s House, Clyde Robert Bulla *

Calico Bush, Rachel Field *

Roger Rangers & the French/Indian War (Landmark), Bradford Smith

Matchlock Gun, Walter Edmonds

Calico Captive, Elizabeth George Speare

Sign of the Beaver, Elizabeth George Speare

George Washington: Frontier Colonel, Sterling North

The Bulletproof George Washington, David Barton

Duel in the Wilderness, Karen Clafford Farley

Night Journeys, Avi

Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison, Lois Lenski

Beaded Moccasins: The Story of Mary Campbell, Lydia Durant

I am Regina, Sally M. Keen

Madeline Takes Command, Ethel C. Brill

James Oglethorpe Young Defender (COFA), Aileen W. Parks

Daniel Boone Young Hunter and Tracker (COFA), Augusta Stevenson

Daniel Boone, James Daugherty

Dan Frontier series, William Hurley – for Stephen!

Jemima, Daughter of Daniel Boone, Margaret Sutton *

Wilderness Wife: The Story of Rebecca Boone, Etta Dearing *

Why Don’t You Get A Horse, Sam Adams?, Jean Fritz

Johnny Tremain, Esther Forbes

Crispus Attucks, Dharathula Millender (COFA)

The Boston Massacre (Headlines from History), Allison Draper

The Boston Tea Party (Headlines from History), Allison Draper

Boston Tea Party, Stephen Kroll

Story of the Boston Tea Party (Cornerstone), R. Conrad Stein

Boston Coffee Party (I Can Read), Doreen Rappaport

Crispus Attucks, (COFA) Dharathula Millender

RevolutionaryPoet: Story of Phillis Wheately, MaryAnn Weidt

A Voice of Her Own: Story of Phillis Wheatley, Kathryn Lasky

Boys of ’76 (for Mom), Charles Coffin

1776: Year of Revolution, Genevieve Foster

The Golden Book of the American Revolution, adapted by Fred Cook

George Washington’s World, Genevieve Foster