Menu

Help me decide Please!!

jedbel

O.k. so I want to do Sonlight yr 3 (history and advanced readers only) but it is $456.oo :blink::eek::ohmy: and gasp!!! The reason I wanted to go with Sonlight this year instead of SOTW (which we have been doing for 2 yrs now) is my son loves to read, loves history and I cannot do the whole library thing anymore. I feel it is totally draining me of energy, money and keeping me behind schedule. I live in an area with tons of homeschoolers and books have to be reserved for weeks in advance before I can finally check them out and they have to be returned in 3 weeks because others are usually "in line" waiting for them sigh.... I really feel Sonlight would help in that area but I keep on thinking $456.00 for just history and readers??? I have to decide like right now and can't :tongue_smilie:Help!

I would at least get them used. :)

Here are a couple on homeschoolclassifieds right now.

Sonlight Core 3 - almost complete with bonuses, Gr. K-5 -- $250 ppd. Good. IG-2007-incl LA IG & all but 3 books; VGC; incl 8 bonus bks

Sonlight Core 3 History Readers and Read-alouds -- $100 ppd. Nice. c2004. No IG included.

I would search WTM swap board as well.

I would suggest buying used, most of the books can be easily found. The story of the USA books are not very expensive new and they are the consumables. If you can swing the purchase new, it is really handy to have the books ALL there and waiting. Also consider the discount you will get on anything else, science, math, etc.... and see if it makes up for the cost difference.

Blessings

Sandra

I don't use SL, but maybe this will help. I too, just couldn't make the library work for us. Our county system is horrid, with very few books, what we needed was always checked out or I woudl get something, forget to take it back in time and owe $2.00 / book in fines! I finally gave up.

We have a vintage book store in our town. ( pretty small town) and she has lots of kids books and will also take a list and try to find what you want at the sales she goes to each month. Then I buy what I want, we read it and we take it back to her. She pays us 1/2 what we paid as credit for new books. This saves me tons of money because I could never get my library books back in time and the fine is $.25 / day! ( I live in the county and just never remembered to take books into town on the 2 days a week I go) I am thinking most towns bigger then say 30,000 aught to have a used book store, yes?

If I don't find what I need, I get it used over the internet and then resell it, usually for what I paid, or take it to the book store and she'll buy those from me too. No more library for us. It just didn't work.

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I have decided used sounds much better lol. I emailed one of the posters of homeschooling classifieds and am waiting for a response. If that doesn't work I am going to hit the used bookstores and see what happens. Thanks again, y'all are great!

How about one more suggestion. He's the perfect age for you to also consider the Latin Centered Curriculum. It's a book...and has a scope and sequence through High School. The book isn't that expensive....and it's worth a read. Just a thought... I like the 2nd edition that just came out, best. Famous Men of...Series seems like it's be great for a 9/10 year old boy! I'm planning on doing it as closely as I can starting full speed this next year with my will be 11 year old and 6 year old. We're already doing some of it now.

Carrie:-)

Couldn't you just buy some books recommended in the AG to go along with SOTW? Or some of the most appealing Sonlight books that go with the time period you are looking at? you could get a lot of books for that much money. If you don't want to do SOTW anymore that is one thing, but if it has been good except for that one aspect it is a shame to suddenly switch in the middle.

I buy the IG and whatever books I cannot find elsewhere (specifically, Amazon.)

Then I go through and put the books in order of when I need them. Most books are on the 4 for 3 special so I try to group according to price and when needed. So each paycheck I order 4 books. They usually cost around $18-20. I don't feel it that way. And I get new books. We have Prime so I have them within two days, too.

The library doesn't work for us. We have a small one that never has the books I need. I tried that one year, and I am certain I spent more money in gas and my time than I saved. :auto:

Since I have 4 kids, I decided after that year to buy those books that I know I would use for all 4. Then I have them, and I don't have to spend the time or money to get more. I don't mind spending the money on good classics that we will use over and over. I figure in the long run I will get my money's worth from them.

But I agree used is the way to go!! I do buy a lot used. I love paperback swap!! I am working on getting one whole series of books that is out of print and between ebay, used sales and paperback swap I have almost all the books. I have spent very little on them.

Also if you sign up with Borders you get coupons from them. I have gotten some great deals from Border and Amazon - just watch the shipping costs.

And I wanted that I am not a fan of switching programs because I find it harder as mom make a big switch. So what I would do (we don't do SOTW other than the "story" part. We do VP.) if it were me, I wouldn't switch to SL (if you are happy with SOTW that is.)

I would do SOTW (or in my case VP) and just add the books you want to.

If you aren't happy with SOTW, then by all mean switch to SL.

Sonlight Core 3 - almost complete with bonuses, Gr. K-5 -- $250 ppd. Good. IG-2007-incl LA IG & all but 3 books; VGC; incl 8 bonus bks

I received an email saying this was sold :(. I am waiting for a response from another poster.

I buy the IG and whatever books I cannot find elsewhere (specifically, Amazon.)

Then I go through and put the books in order of when I need them. Most books are on the 4 for 3 special so I try to group according to price and when needed. So each paycheck I order 4 books. They usually cost around $18-20. I don't feel it that way. And I get new books. We have Prime so I have them within two days, too.

Couldn't you just buy some books recommended in the AG to go along with SOTW? Or some of the most appealing Sonlight books that go with the time period you are looking at? you could get a lot of books for that much money. If you don't want to do SOTW anymore that is one thing, but if it has been good except for that one aspect it is a shame to suddenly switch in the middle.
And I wanted that I am not a fan of switching programs because I find it harder as mom make a big switch. So what I would do (we don't do SOTW other than the "story" part. We do VP.) if it were me, I wouldn't switch to SL (if you are happy with SOTW that is.)

I would do SOTW (or in my case VP) and just add the books you want to.

If you aren't happy with SOTW, then by all mean switch to SL.

My son has really enjoyed SOTW. We started when he was six and I think he fell in love with history because of it. All the books ready and there for me is really the only reason I began to consider Sonlight. I was actually thinking of buying SOTW vol 3 without Activity Guide (along with Sonlight) for free reading since he enjoys the series so much. We have SOTW2 in book and audio form and after reading the book he listens to the audio over and over again just for fun. The activity guide has so many recommendations so it can be overwhelming to pick and choose but maybe others have done this and can share best books for SOTW 3? I have to consider this. Thanks for the idea :001_smile:

How about one more suggestion. He's the perfect age for you to also consider the Latin Centered Curriculum. It's a book...and has a scope and sequence through High School. The book isn't that expensive....and it's worth a read. Just a thought... I like the 2nd edition that just came out, best. Famous Men of...Series seems like it's be great for a 9/10 year old boy! I'm planning on doing it as closely as I can starting full speed this next year with my will be 11 year old and 6 year old. We're already doing some of it now.

Carrie:-)

I will look into this. Thanks

• 1 month later...