Menu

Has anyone ever done a VLCD (Very Low-Calorie Diet)?

By VLCD, I'm talking 800 calories or less in a day.

I've read conflicting studies on the effectiveness of and the negative short- and long-term effects of a VLCD. I wondered if anyone could provide first-hand knowledge.

(BTW, I'm not talking about an anorexic way of life. From my understanding, a VLCD should only be done for a short period of time.)

If you've done one of these, I just wondered ...

1. How do you get the proper amounts of daily nutrients?

2. Did you suffer from light-headedness or dizziness?

3. Did you use meal replacement shakes (a la Slimfast)?

4. Were you able to maintain the weight loss?

5. Is there any advice you can give to someone who is considering a VLCD?

Thanks in advance!

I would not do JUST a VLCD. First, you WILL be hungry. Second, it causes your body to think you will not be feeding it enough so it holds onto what you give it. If you do it short term, wouldn't you just be losing mostly lean? And sure, you could do it long term, like an anorexic, but that isn't healthy, right? Many people, unless they do it very long term, find that they don't lose more than a few initial pounds by doing this. My body REFUSES to release weight if I get under 1300 calories per day.

Now, there is a diet that does it differently. Some call it the hcg diet. Basically, you use a small dosage of hcg (sublingual or injections) to encourage your body to burn 1500-4000 calories per day. You then use a very low calorie diet (5oo calories) in addition. So your body THINKS it's getting enough calories and burns fat and doesn't hold onto what you eat. Also, it allows you not to be hungry (if you follow the protocol correctly). You can lose 1/2-1 pound per day safely and easily this way but you do it for about 6 weeks then take at least 6 weeks off between rounds.

I've already been flamed for posting about this before, but this is the ONLY way I would even CONSIDER a VLCD. You can learn more about it at hcgdietinfo.com (look at Dr. Simeon's original book from the 50's) or the hcgdieters yahoo group.

Anyway, but generally, I would say don't starve yourself! LOL

I am unfortunately forced right now for financial reasons to be on a VLC diet. I have enough money to feed either my daughter or myself. For obvious reasons, my daughter takes precedence.

Yes, you do lose weight quickly. I am what is considered morbidly obese and have lost 35 lbs since Thanksgiving. Yes, you do feel hungry. If it is mandatory you do this for whatever reason, this does work. I just do not recommend this type of diet though unless you are forced to diet this way.

I do find that I have changed the way I do eat when food is available. I eat foods that have densly packed nutrients in them like meat and seafood over fried foods. I also try and get as many veggies as possible when they are available. Good luck if you try this.

I lost over 80 pounds in 2006. I started my weightloss with eating only fruits and veggies (I could eat as much as I wanted of either, but I tried to stick mostly with veggies). I used salsa for dressing on my salad. I don't remember how long I did this (I think it was around 2 months), and then I started adding in bits of other foods. Hardboiled eggs, cheese, low calorie soups. Eventually I transitioned completely into a normal diet, but my portion sizes are way smaller than before I lost the weight. I eat off a salad plate now. I have kept the weight off (I do exercise daily).

I know this way of losing weight isn't recommended, but it worked for me. I had to completely break the hold food had over me.

I lost over 80 pounds in 2006. I started my weightloss with eating only fruits and veggies (I could eat as much as I wanted of either, but I tried to stick mostly with veggies). I used salsa for dressing on my salad. I don't remember how long I did this (I think it was around 2 months), and then I started adding in bits of other foods. Hardboiled eggs, cheese, low calorie soups. Eventually I transitioned completely into a normal diet, but my portion sizes are way smaller than before I lost the weight. I eat off a salad plate now. I have kept the weight off (I do exercise daily).

I know this way of losing weight isn't recommended, but it worked for me. I had to completely break the hold food had over me.

This is pretty much what I'm doing right now. The Lord just told me it's time to get some self-control, and lose the weight. I lost 12.5 pounds in January. No junk food, no eating after dinner, and only one glass of soda a day. And yes, I realize even one glass of soda a day is a lot. I don't drink coffee, and if I stop the soda cold turkey, I'll get extreme caffiene headaches. But I have a long term goal that includes exercise, cutting out pop completely, eating much smaller portions, and severly limiting sweets.

The part of the quote that I bolded is exactly how I feel. I don't want food to be my comforter. That's the Holy Spirit's job. :)

I went online and found a calculator where I put in my weight, and it told me how many calories I was eating a day just to maintain that weight. I was horrified. Seriously, it was astonishing. So I haven't had to do anything dangerous or extreme, just stop eating so many calories!

I am unfortunately forced right now for financial reasons to be on a VLC diet. I have enough money to feed either my daughter or myself. For obvious reasons, my daughter takes precedence.

Yes, you do lose weight quickly. I am what is considered morbidly obese and have lost 35 lbs since Thanksgiving. Yes, you do feel hungry. If it is mandatory you do this for whatever reason, this does work. I just do not recommend this type of diet though unless you are forced to diet this way.

I do find that I have changed the way I do eat when food is available. I eat foods that have densly packed nutrients in them like meat and seafood over fried foods. I also try and get as many veggies as possible when they are available. Good luck if you try this.

:grouphug:

I'm sorry things are this way for you. It sounds like you are making the best of a hard situation.

Thank you. Sometimes the motto "It is what it is" is the only thing that really fits the situation. My ex hasn't been able to provide support for the last 5 months because the industry he is in is slow. I have told him I am willing to help him get a reduction in support but he has to do the court work himself. He is too lazy so the money owed piles up against him. Meanwhile, no money is coming in. I needed to lose the weight anyway and this certainly has been a blessing in disguise. (My growling stomach disagrees though.)