Menu

Placement in Rod and Staff English (or suggestions for another program?)

Oakblossoms

My son will officially be in 7th grade next year. He has been in some public school for K, 1 and half of 4th. I'm not sure that he got much in English lessons. We have been doing Charlotte Mason style up to this point. I am an English major and feel pretty confident as a teacher. I hate saying that. I just know everyone is correcting my writing skills.

I would like to add grammar instruction to his 7th grade year. I understand the 7th grade level is pretty advanced. Any idea for a good placement?

He is starting on Writing Strands and that is going well.

If you suggest another option, that's great. But, we are on a really tight budget, so it would be nice if it's inexpensive.

I found a comparison that I posted last year between R&S grammar 5 & 6. I'll copy it here to help in your placement decision:

I'm doing R&S grammar 6 with DS#1 & R&S grammar 5 with DS#2. In comparing R&S 5 & 6:

-the lessons are longer in 6, and a smaller typeset is used

-there are more oral drill exercises, written exercises, and review exercises for each lesson in 6

-there are 139 lessons in 6, but only 119 in 5

-there are 82 worksheets for 6, but only 68 worksheets for 5

-there are 11 chapter tests & a final for 6, but only 10 chapter tests in 5

-5 talks about verb tenses & principal parts; 6 talks about transitive verbs & action verbs that aren't transitive

-5 talks about linking verbs with predicate nouns & adj; 6 talks about passive and active voice

-5 talks about nom, obj, & poss pronouns; 6 expands on this and talks about relative pronouns & relative clauses

-there's more diagramming in 6 including adjective clauses, adverbs of degree, and adverb clauses

-more advanced concepts in 6 include prepositional phrases as adjectives and adverbs, subordinating conjunctions, and avoiding misplaced phrases and clauses