Menu

BJU Bible Truths... any opinions?

Virginia Heather

I have mixed feelings on this one. My dc loved it! They asked to do it. When I chose something else the following year, they asked to have BJU back. They memorized verses and learned much.

I felt it was making bible "just another subject" to do a lesson, study the material and pass the quiz. I wanted more. I wanted "living" material if that makes any sense. Something geared more toward discipleship.

So, my review is mixed. We did stop using it after 2 years in favor of more topical studies. But, we were also doing AWANA and MOH at the time. I felt it was too much. I am considering using it again however as we are not involved with those activities anymore.

This is our first year using it, and we love it. My dc are 8 (almost 9) and 7 and we are using Bible Truths 2 (A Servant's Heart). They are in 3rd and 1st grade and I picked the level right between them and we can do it all together. There is a CD of hymns to learn (usually one hymn per unit) and a memory verse each week. The dc love the colorful worktext, and there are lots of application stories as well as Bible stories, plus discussion questions. We like it so much that we already bought next year's Bible Truths 3 and my ds is anxious to get to that one, too!

It sounds like the ages of your dc are perfect to get the level right in the middle and use it for all of you to do together. I had been looking for something that didn't just view the Bible as a textbook to study, but had application, and Bible Truths has fit the bill for us. Today's lesson was about a boy sneaking quarters out of his grandpa's coin collection jar and using it to buy candy (for example). This lesson is the first in a new unit called, "A Forgiving Heart", and the hymn for this month is, "Cleanse Me". Our next lesson will be on the Publican and Pharisee, and then the Parable of the Unjust Servant. There are also colorful pictures to illustrate how people dressed and lived during Bible times, and you can decide if you want to read a 'retelling' of the Bible passage or the actual Bible passage in each lesson.

Hope this gives you an idea what it is like. It does take about 45 minutes a day to do the entire lesson (listening to and learning the hymn, working on the memory verse, listening to the Bible story, answering discussion questions, and then doing a workbook page. We also have 2 missionary books to read during this year (we just finished reading 'A Question of Yams').

Brenda

You know Heather, I sort of go back and forth with some BJU things. I like the viewpoint and theology (sorry if some don't), but I don't like the way they lead students into things. Like in the reading curriculum, they draw good points out of the lit, but they lead the student into it too much, so he has to say that answer, even if it's not HIS answer, kwim? I'd like a bit more thinking, a bit more freedom to think.

What we're doing now that I REALLY like and highly recommend, both as solid spiritually and fabulously easy to implement with a baby (yeah!) is stuff by the Boyers of http://www.thelearningparent.com I'm using their Proverbs People workbook with dd right now, and it's so easy to implement, so worthwhile. We do a page a day and do it orally. We read through the theme passage for the lesson each day, then we do the discussion Q&A, looking up the verses. It has application stories, pointed questions, it's just right. Anything they have would be good and practical. They're from VA, so maybe they've been at your convention?

I personally don't care for BJU Bible Truths, because of the way they hammer doctrine and use proof-texting. I'm not a fan of that approach in either children's or adult's Bible study.

If you want something expositional and chronological that you can all do together, I suggest Studying God's Word by Christian Liberty Press. Studying God's Word does have commentary and discussion, but it will not pull out one verse out of context and use it as a proof text. It looks at what the book says as a WHOLE, and offers brief comments and discussion starters. IT also has timeline helps and some geography.

This year, we are using a study heavy on application, because it is something different for us. I like Positive Action for Christ in this regard. It is similiar in theology to BJU, but uses better exegesis of the text, imo. Rather than focusing on Baptist doctrine, it looks at large pieces of Scripture, and uses exposition and tons of personal application. I just like the "tone" better. At least, this is true for the Wise Up! Proverbs curriculum, which is the only one I have used.

FWIW, we are conservative Christians.

Edited by Tami

If you want something expositional and chronological that you can all do together, I suggest Studying God's Word by Christian Liberty Press. Studying God's Word does have commentary and discussion, but it will not pull out one verse out of context and use it as a proof text. It looks at what the book says as a WHOLE, and offers brief comments and discussion starters. IT also has timeline helps and some geography.

I have also been looking at CLP bible studies too. I am also considering them as well. Thanks for the review!

Wow, just wow-those look absolutely amazing. They all look fantastic! I love it that they include Scripture plus application, no busy work-so meaty. It is hard to find Bible materials for middle school because many of them try to appeal to mainstream, entertainment-fed kids that need edutainment and stimulation, and the materials aren't really very respectful usually. Lots of what I see is either dumbed down, or tries to be super "cool" or "hip" so the kids can "relate." This is respectful but still looks engaging. Thank you SO much for sharing this resource. What a blessing!

BTW, do you use the TMs or not?

We have really enjoyed Wise Up! this year. It is a meaty course, and just right, developmentally, for middle school. This age group really NEEDS wisdom. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, I got the TM, but I suppose it is not absolutely essential, if cost is an issue. If you can afford it, I think you will find it helpful, even though it is written for a traditional school setting. It has helps, answer key, scheduling ideas, and a "teacher's lesson." Many times, I have needed the answer key, since I couldn't figure out exactly what the answer was. :001_huh:

Positive Action has a free audio by their founder, that will give you an idea of whether you will like the philosophy of this curriculum.

HTH!

thank you. And thanks for the heads-up on the TM. Would you mind mentioning-do you do about a lesson per week, or how has that generally worked out, just for planning purposes? (I realize it may say it in the book-just wanted a general idea.)

Dd is in 3rd grade as I report it to the district, but has a late bday so she should technically be 4th. So I'll probably use this in about another year. And was it you that was mentioning at one point that you did some of the Rod and Staff Bible before this? (I know it doesn't have any application-just wondered if it was a good prerequisite to this?)

(OP-sorry for the quick hijack. :tongue_smilie: At least we're bumping it for you!)

Yes, we did Rod and Staff's elementary or Studying God's Word until jr. high. Wise Up! is a LOT of work. My dd is in 6th grade and can barely handle the work load. I think that by "middle school" the folks at Positive Action mean jr. high (although I can't be certain), but this course would have blown my dd away in 4th grade. It is written with jr high issues in mind, such as choosing friends, purity, etc. Just an FYI.

Yes, we went the chronological, expositional Bible route in elementary school, and are switching gears to an application-based program for jr. high. Positive Action was a good choice for us. I am thinking of doing the Route 66 survey next year.

I know they have elementary curriculum, but I haven't looked at it or used it.

I'll leave it off til 6th or so then-glad you let me know! It will give us time for R+S first that way (which I had planned on doing-I actually worked through the 5th grade myself a couple yrs ago and really liked it!) I think I'll take a peek at Positive Action's elementary though and see what it's like. Thanks again!!

Shari, in the new editions, they left out the memory verse cards and things they had in the old edition, making it much more flexibile for people to use their own version. So if you were using the new version and didn't like the way they included KJV stuff, just know it's an improvement from what it used to be. ;)