Menu

Not liking FLL

mo2

Dd6 is hating FLL. We have made it to lesson 50 in year 1, but I'm tired of fighting to get through the lessons. I think mostly she dislikes repeating all the phrases and definitions back to me and would rather do some pen-and-paper work. Would she find GWG more palatable?

My daughter and I both prefer GWG. It was similar to the problem we had with Phonics Pathways and 100 EZ lessons for reading---she works better with pencil and paper, so Explode the Code was a great fit for her and she loved it while the other two were pure torture for both of us.

I tried FLL, but it was just not a good fit. We have used the 3rd grade level of GWG and are in the 4th grade one now, so I can't speak to the 1st/2nd grade one, but I don't see a reason to think we would not have been happy with it. For the 3rd/4th grade levels, there is one page of the work that is practicing new material and the other page is review of previous material, so there is a lot of helpful repetition, just in a somewhat different format (and one that was more helpful to us). It also only takes a short time, much less than we were spending with some of the FLL lessons.

Now if you are looking for things like poetry memorization, you will have to do that outside of GWG.

Edited by KarenNC

Yes, try GWG.

My ds could not tolerate FLL. We switched to GWG & it has been a much better fit. You still get the repitition & practice like FLL, just presented in a different format.

Same thing with us. GWG is something the kids can do independently...well, can, but my ds8 doesn't like to read instructions...:glare: We really like GWG.

What is GWG?

Can you skip a few lessons? When I KNOW that my DC know the definition of the noun, I skip it. With oldest DD I skipped almost half the book! She went right into FLL 3 and I have not been disappointed with her grammar skills knowledge...she's in 3rd this year, but could EASILY do the Bob Jones grade 5 English/grammar book! That's all b/c of FLL...and I'm also comfortable teaching it. I like how well scripted it is.

Dd6 is hating FLL. We have made it to lesson 50 in year 1, but I'm tired of fighting to get through the lessons. I think mostly she dislikes repeating all the phrases and definitions back to me and would rather do some pen-and-paper work. Would she find GWG more palatable?

I see *no* benefit to doing FLL with a 6 yo. Seriously. Grammar at that level is the same wether it's done in 1st, 2nd or 3rd and in 2nd or 3rd they can write more and pick it up faster.

I'd wait until you can do FLL *3* (which is more writing) and you'll find that it goes much more smoothly.

:)

K

I see *no* benefit to doing FLL with a 6 yo. Seriously. Grammar at that level is the same wether it's done in 1st, 2nd or 3rd and in 2nd or 3rd they can write more and pick it up faster.

I'd wait until you can do FLL *3* (which is more writing) and you'll find that it goes much more smoothly.

:)

K

:iagree:

If you are looking for something to include in your studies for your child you may want to try Ruther Heller's books. There are more, I just linked you to one title. Check with your library for this series. I can't find the link right now but, there is a blog where a woman uses this series exclusively to teach her child(ren). I will try to find it.

o.k. here is a post that has it linked.

Just another option for you:O)

Edited by jubilee
added link

:iagree:

If you are looking for something to include in your studies for your child you may want to try Ruther Heller's books. There are more, I just linked you to one title. Check with your library for this series. I can't find the link right now but, there is a blog where a woman uses this series exclusively to teach her child(ren). I will try to find it.

o.k. here is a post that has it linked.

Just another option for you:O)

The Ruth Heller books are absolutely gorgeous and we have them all. However, I don't believe that they would have been (nor are they) sufficient to be a complete grammar program for us. Wonderful, beautiful, fun, incredible adjuncts with rich art and language, yes, but it still takes lots and lots of reinforcement and practice for at least my kid. They are also wonderfully complex, with some very advanced grammar concepts. I've read them with my daughter multiple times, but it will be years before she understands the majority of concepts in them (she's currently working on GWG 4).

Edited by KarenNC