Menu

Literary Analysis for 12 yo

susie in tx

We're currently using Lightning Lit 7 for literary analysis. My dd loves it. However, I'm attempting to streamline our days a bit more, as I feel as though she's spending too much time working on her schoolwork. Plus, I really need to carve out some more time for my littles. They are begging to do more work. :)

Recently, I purchased TOG. I wasn't planning on using it for literature, so much as using it for suggestions on books to read. I figured that the Student Activity Pages were just a little bonus. I've since spent some time looking at the lit, and it looks pretty good. I don't see much, if any, poetry in it until rhetoric level. However, the Pages do go over basic literary terms and it appears as though I may be able to use this at the UG and D levels for lit analysis.

Lightning Lit walks me through all of the terms and explanations for my student. TOG doesn't do a lot of that. Is there a book that I could pick up that would be a help for our homeschool that would explain literary terms? I'm looking for the Strunk & White of lit analysis, I guess.

Thanks.

I would second Beth's idea of "Teaching the Classics." I will be doing the Dialectic level for TOG next year and have planned to use TTC along with TOG. There is another mom on this board that is currently doing this and she said that it is working well for her. HTH.

There are many Handbooks of Literary Terms to choose from. I'm not sure how much hand holding you're looking for. The handbooks will just list and define the terms.

If you are looking for something more, I would suggest picking up a cheap used copy of a Freshmen level University anthology of literature. Norton and Prentice Hall have good ones. They are usually called An Introduction to Literature. The Prentice Hall one is called Literature: An Introduction to Reading and Writing. These will include all the basic literary terms, explanations, examples, even showing you how to analyze stories and write literary essays. A cheap used copy would be a real bargain.

Teaching the classics is working well for us.... I bought the book at first... I didn’t know what I was buying and didn’t want to drop a big chuck on the dvds if it wasn’t what I was looking for.... The book itself proved valuable so I purchased the dvds at our State convention this last June. I Love it and its fitting in nicely.

I use the Socratic list in the appendix and choose form it best I can. It has been helping draw the book out of her.... We are also studying the terms as vocabulary.

Its been a big help for us.... we are still using the classic TOG. Not much for dialect discussions for history or literature....

HTH~

We went through this last year, and I found it very helpful for ds. We went through the first part of Walch Prose and Poetry Toolbox earlier this year. We just did the "prose" part. Next year we will do the "poetry" part. Both of these are workbooks that really cut to the chase!