Menu

Let's Say, Hypothetically, You're Moving to Europe in 6 Months....

And, hypothetically, your DH would need to check into an office somewhere in SW Germany every week or two. So that means, hypothetically, you could live somewhere in the region that would be a day drive, or train ride away. Hypothetically, that could be France, Switzerland, Austria, or somewhere in Germany.

So, how do you pick?

How would you discover if your area is safe, beautiful, isn't polluted, has good cheese and wine, etc?

And would you homeschool or let the kids get a great immersion experience in this culture and its language? Hypothetically, this would be for 1 year.

Where would one begin figure this out, hypothetically?

Well, the first thing that I would do is check out the homeschool laws in each possible country. It is illegal to homeschool in Germany, so that would get knocked off the list right off the bat. Then I would get online and do as much research as I could about what the areas are like. Then I would fly over and check things out and see the area for myself.

As far as the homeschool vs. immersion question, that would depend on whether my dc were 'behind' at all with their studies. If I knew we'd only be there for a year, I would lean toward doing language arts, math, and Latin and completely skip everything else. I would add in whatever language would be spoken our country of choice. I would only go this route, though, if I knew that we would have money and freedom (ie a vehicle available) to explore. When we travel we're always doing it on a shoestring, so we can't afford to get out much and see sights, etc, so I bring school with me. Also, if I skipped school every time we were travelling, my kids wouldn't graduate until they were 25yo!

Hope it works out for you. Sounds like an amazing opportunity. If you ever make it to southwest England, stop in for a cup of tea!

Oh, if only I knew as a pharmacist that I could work there I would be gone in a flash!

School in Germany finishes at lunch time. You can still spend the best part of the day with dc while letting them learn a really useful language.

I spent a year in USA and a year in France as a child. These two years stand out in my memory as being such a special time. What a wonderful opportunity!

I'd start at http://www.talesmag.com, my favorite resource I never got to use.

It's geared towards expats affiliated with the U.S. Foreign Service, but I think it has expanded to include other expats. There's a board, but what I would look at first are the RPRs (Real Post Reports). It looks like you have to register now.

I'd also have your husband get advice from the people who work in the office to which he will report once a week.

I don't think I'd put my kids in school for the language immersion experience. I know a family who stayed in Italy and they chose to homeschool. The language immersion, they got another way - various kids activities, but not school. School takes up way too much of your time, to be worth it, when you can be seeing sights and museums.

From a legal point of view, France will attempt to impose their program on you. But in reality, if they know you're there just for a year, they leave you in peace. Especially if you come in mid-year, and leave mid-year. They most likely will not bother you.

Of the countries you listed, I'd pick Switzerland, for its central location, and variety of geographical settings within short distances. And there are four languages to learn! In a year, your kids can pick at least two, if not three!

Thanks for the Tales Mag link, it looks really interesting. Any other thoughts out their? I don't know if the EU has a Chamber of Commerce that would be helpful or not. I'm not sure how to research this to show DH that we can do this without causing too much stress to his work. So I'll also need to find out if the areas have hi-speed internet connections as well as clean water! How does one go about doing that?

Oh, and is there a benefit long term for the kids to learn French over German? Does it matter?

:bigear::bigear:

I don't think I'd put my kids in school for the language immersion experience. I know a family who stayed in Italy and they chose to homeschool. The language immersion, they got another way - various kids activities, but not school. School takes up way too much of your time, to be worth it, when you can be seeing sights and museums.

From a legal point of view, France will attempt to impose their program on you. But in reality, if they know you're there just for a year, they leave you in peace. Especially if you come in mid-year, and leave mid-year. They most likely will not bother you.

Of the countries you listed, I'd pick Switzerland, for its central location, and variety of geographical settings within short distances. And there are four languages to learn! In a year, your kids can pick at least two, if not three!

4 languages!!! Wouldn't this be confusing?

4 languages!!! Wouldn't this be confusing?

Switzerland has four official languages: German, French, Italian, and Romansh.

However, any given area of Switzlerand has usually only one dominant language. That's the one you'll hear most (although you can argue that what you'll hear won't really be German:D), but you'll usually see three or four in the signs at the train station.

Guest JulieGE

so I would definitely start doing research ASAP. I personally would start with the country I thought I'd most like to live. We are military (living in Germany) so we don't get to choose; the thought of getting to pick a place would be exciting for me.

Keep in mind the exchange rate when planning how far away your husband's office would be from your home. The exchange rate has been terrible for years and gas is expensive. Even if he takes a train, it can get expensive. I personally would rather keep those expenses down and put that $ toward family travel!

Homeschooling is illegal in Germany for expats. Do your research on that. The schools here do traditionally get out around noon but depends. Higher levels get out later, and even the younger children have days where they stay longer. There are international schools as an option as well, but they are expensive. Some industries pay the tuition. Would depend on your husband's company.

I've lived in Germany for the last seven years; three years in the 90's. PM me if you decide on Germany and have questions. I've only visited the others you mentioned. Would LOVE to live in any of them! And highly recommend Germany. Very safe and clean--high quality of life!

We did a version of this. We lived in Brussels, Belgium for just under two years.

My dh's schedule was such that he had at least one week off each month. We chose to start homeschooling in Europe (our boys had previously been in ps) so that we could hop in our car and travel, travel, travel. Our sons were 14 and 8 when we moved over there.

I would not homeschool in Germany because of the legal issues. Travel, yes, of course. I *adore* France, so that would be my first choice. Switzerland would be my second. If you are looking for good cheese and wine, either one of those would work.

As far as learning languages in a year...unless you immerse yourself in the language, you won't learn it. Grab a Rosetta Stone and start now, so you can begin to muddle your way through it when you are there. The more you push yourself to use the native language the more you will learn. My French is still what I call grocery store French. Warning...RS doesn't exactly teach you survival language unless you are just a tourist. When you need to tell the landlady the hot water isn't working or ask where the sour cream lives in the store, you'll have to muddle through. A few language dictionaries help. Its all part of the adventure!

Okay...back on track....during our time in Brussels, our sons traveled to fourteen different countries. We learned the polite words in each language and the money system (pre-Euro by a year) and some basic history of the country. We studied Roman history from Pompeii to Hadrian's Wall. WWI & II by exploring bunkers, museums, and Normandy Beach. Medieval times by castle hopping. Can you imagine doing a unit study on the Vikings and then visiting Norway? We did! Don't get me started on the art history and appreciation fun we had.

Don't worry about American history while you are there. :D Catch lab sciences when you come home. While you are there learn language, the metric system, history, art, and the joy of great food. Write, read, draw, do some math, then write and read some more.

If you can take some boxes of books, do so. There are English bookstores in larger cities, but you can't always find what you need. Amazon has a European division which is handy.

Do it! You wil never regret it! Living overseas changed us forever. Feel free to PM me if I can be helpful to you.

We did a version of this. We lived in Brussels, Belgium for just under two years.

My dh's schedule was such that he had at least one week off each month. We chose to start homeschooling in Europe (our boys had previously been in ps) so that we could hop in our car and travel, travel, travel. Our sons were 14 and 8 when we moved over there.

I would not homeschool in Germany because of the legal issues. Travel, yes, of course. I *adore* France, so that would be my first choice. Switzerland would be my second. If you are looking for good cheese and wine, either one of those would work.

As far as learning languages in a year...unless you immerse yourself in the language, you won't learn it. Grab a Rosetta Stone and start now, so you can begin to muddle your way through it when you are there. The more you push yourself to use the native language the more you will learn. My French is still what I call grocery store French. Warning...RS doesn't exactly teach you survival language unless you are just a tourist. When you need to tell the landlady the hot water isn't working or ask where the sour cream lives in the store, you'll have to muddle through. A few language dictionaries help. Its all part of the adventure!

Okay...back on track....during our time in Brussels, our sons traveled to fourteen different countries. We learned the polite words in each language and the money system (pre-Euro by a year) and some basic history of the country. We studied Roman history from Pompeii to Hadrian's Wall. WWI & II by exploring bunkers, museums, and Normandy Beach. Medieval times by castle hopping. Can you imagine doing a unit study on the Vikings and then visiting Norway? We did! Don't get me started on the art history and appreciation fun we had.

Don't worry about American history while you are there. :D Catch lab sciences when you come home. While you are there learn language, the metric system, history, art, and the joy of great food. Write, read, draw, do some math, then write and read some more.

If you can take some boxes of books, do so. There are English bookstores in larger cities, but you can't always find what you need. Amazon has a European division which is handy.

Do it! You wil never regret it! Living overseas changed us forever. Feel free to PM me if I can be helpful to you.

Oh....you have me dreaming!:)

And, hypothetically, your DH would need to check into an office somewhere in SW Germany every week or two. So that means, hypothetically, you could live somewhere in the region that would be a day drive, or train ride away. Hypothetically, that could be France, Switzerland, Austria, or somewhere in Germany.

So, how do you pick?

How would you discover if your area is safe, beautiful, isn't polluted, has good cheese and wine, etc?

And would you homeschool or let the kids get a great immersion experience in this culture and its language? Hypothetically, this would be for 1 year.

Where would one begin figure this out, hypothetically?

safe, beautiful, isn't polluted with great wine and cheese you say? I spent 14 months in wurzburg, germany with the military and I LOVED that small city. Frankenwine is the best wine, IMO. There is so much to see and do within a train ride of there as well. The train system in Germany is great too. Also, because military people are in town there are a lot more people that speak English, so it could make it a little easier. I'm getting homesick just thinking about it:( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Würzburg

safe, beautiful, isn't polluted with great wine and cheese you say? I spent 14 months in wurzburg, germany with the military and I LOVED that small city. Frankenwine is the best wine, IMO. There is so much to see and do within a train ride of there as well. The train system in Germany is great too. Also, because military people are in town there are a lot more people that speak English, so it could make it a little easier. I'm getting homesick just thinking about it:( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Würzburg

It looks like a wonderful place.

So many of the sites I'm checking are for ex-pats. Is this what I want? I guess I have a fairy tale expectation of a Peter Mayle novel realized. Still, is it possible? How do I find that perfect village with nice people, amazing food and history, and hi-speed internet?

So many of the sites I'm checking are for ex-pats. Is this what I want? I guess I have a fairy tale expectation of a Peter Mayle novel realized. Still, is it possible? How do I find that perfect village with nice people, amazing food and history, and hi-speed internet?

You don't. Seriously. Becoming a successful ex-pat is learning to live within your host country - not bringing Amerika to that country. We ADORE Mexico but worship at the altar of Tarjay on our annual visits. :)

I vote for Belgium or Switzerland.

Voting for Vienna, Austria, here.

I recall that it's not too far from SW Germany, but check me on that. It's clean, beautiful, safe, packed with history, great organized public transportation, and conveniently located for travel to other countries. I lived there for 6 weeks, and visited several other times, and just loved it. I could happily live there.

ETA: And did I mention they have good cheese, great food, and OH the coffeehouses!

I agree completely with this advice.

The French aristocracy traditonally home-educated their children but they used a national syllabus and sent work into Paris to be corrected. If you are in France for only a year they will probably understand if you are home-educating. If you decide that you would like them to go to school, I know the common policy in France is simply to have the child repeat a year, few other special allowances are made. Here is a contact address for their home-school organisation:

http://www.lesenfantsdabord.org/index.php

My sister lives in Germany and it is, sadly, illegal. I am told this law was brought in by Hitler. Exceptions are made only for the American military.

Finally, my friend taught in a school in London with a high number of children for whom English was a second language. She said that most children were pratically silent and only listened for the first two years, only after this period of time did they begin to speak and take part. In the mean time all the rest of the syllabus is put on hold. A far better way is to have the children play with other children in their second language and do a course such as Michel Thomas , (foundation then advanced)- which will get you speaking in your new language very quickly and with a solid basic grammar (the vocabulary you can build up when you are living in the new country).

Switzerland would be an excellent choice. You would be with people who would inspire you to just have a go in a new language (because they are so multi-lingual). They will be far more patient with your attempts. They also speak excellent English and so they will be able to help you when you are stuck.

T So I'll also need to find out if the areas have hi-speed internet connections as well as clean water! How does one go about doing that?

Well, you *could* move to the Evian region, where you bathe in Evian water, and dogs drinking out of the toilet bowl, are still drinking Evian water too...

I wouldn't be worried about clean water, and it's right on Lake Geneva, gorgeous region..

Oh, and is there a benefit long term for the kids to learn French over German? Does it matter?

:bigear::bigear:

While a case could be made for either language, French is spoken more around the world than German. Half of Africa, parts of South East Asia, and of course, Canada, where you could continue your studies when you come back.

Oh, and while you're away, can we get your house, so we can do a trip of our own too?? ;-)

Switzerland has four official languages: German, French, Italian, and Romansh.

However, any given area of Switzlerand has usually only one dominant language. That's the one you'll hear most (although you can argue that what you'll hear won't really be German:D), but you'll usually see three or four in the signs at the train station.

You could say it's German with a little "twang".

Children can absorb a lot of different information including languages. They will likely be better in one language than another but it won't be so confusing that there is no benefit at all. I had to learn three languages, at times I could remember a word in one language but not in another but overall it stretches the brain a little - and this is a good thing. :lol:

I agree with you, however, DH's work requires hi-speed internet, so we need to find a location that has it to get him to agree with all my other adventure plans. How do find these things out? And are you hs or sending your kids to the local school?

A quick google search on "switzerland high-speed internet" returns results that seem to indicate everywhere in Switzerland will soon have high-speed. (I'd definitely do some more looking around to verify, but it should be easy to find email addresses or phone numbers of providers.

I was born in Wuerzburg. I remember it being most beautiful in winter when all the stores along the narrow alleys in town are so lavishly decorated.

There is also the Main River and the castle on the hill.

I highly recommend the book Take Your Kids to Europe. It has interesting insights on language learning and realistic expectations.

And . . . I know you know this, but just in case . . .

You won't find the perfect place. Life has trade-offs, even in Europe.

I get the feeling that you're reeling a little from all the possibilities. I know I would be. So, in case it helps, here is how I would go about narrowing it down.

1. I'd figure out what the outer commute limits are. I wouldn't want to live so far away that DH comes to dread his commute to the office on the days he has to go. That would establish my circle of possibilities.

2. If the circle includes area outside Germany, I would make the decision about homeschooling. How old are your kids? What are their personalities? What is your emphasis--language learning/living like a native as much as possible or travel/sight-seeing?

3. Then I'd look at high-speed Internet issues, etc.

Can you tell I think this is a great problem to have?:D So much more fun than what I should be doing.:lol:

Oooo I know the answer to this one.....

Just moved back from France last year (sob sob). We lived in Aix en Provence, which is in South of France. Fantastic location - near the sea, mountains (skiing), 3 hrs to Spain, 3 hours to Italy and 20 mins drive to Marseille to catch a flight to Germany if so required. Cheap flights to England when you need an English break. On the TGV line so alot of people commute to Paris for work (or drive takes you 7 hours with alot of stops) Great area for exploring with day trips. Spent 2 years on day trips and still didn't see everything.

Friends did the Expat life and had a great time; we did the local life and had (I believe!!:tongue_smilie:) had a fantastic time. Kids went to the local school (3 & 5yr old) on Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri. School had holidays nearly every 7 weeks with a long break over summer. I often just packed up the kids and drove around Europe by myself in the holidays (Dh worked all the time).

Only negative thing is that Aix is expensive to live (house etc) but ohhh so worth it. Be back there in a shot if I could :auto:

Happy planning

Fi

We lived in a small village in Belgium for three years. I don't know about other areas but Belgium had great internet capabilities and that was 6 years ago. I believe that high speed internet was more the norm in Europe before it was in the US. That is because the banking and billing systems are done electronically there. There are no such things as checks in Europe.

I would check homeschooling rules in the surrounding countries. Germany is a no go as far as homeschooling goes unless you are under SOFA arrangements.

I don't think I'd put my kids in school for the language immersion experience.

We continued to home educate, but had household help who spoke to the boys only in Chinese, and a tutor who came in a couple of times a week. You might be able to duplicate this with getting a student or teenager in to play with the children. We also lived in an apartment complex, rather than a single family house. The complex had lots of other children, so the boys practised their Chinese with their friends. In addition, they attended sports classes taught in Chinese.

Have fun!

Laura

I highly recommend the book Take Your Kids to Europe. It has interesting insights on language learning and realistic expectations.

And . . . I know you know this, but just in case . . .

You won't find the perfect place. Life has trade-offs, even in Europe.

I get the feeling that you're reeling a little from all the possibilities. I know I would be. So, in case it helps, here is how I would go about narrowing it down.

1. I'd figure out what the outer commute limits are. I wouldn't want to live so far away that DH comes to dread his commute to the office on the days he has to go. That would establish my circle of possibilities.

2. If the circle includes area outside Germany, I would make the decision about homeschooling. How old are your kids? What are their personalities? What is your emphasis--language learning/living like a native as much as possible or travel/sight-seeing?

3. Then I'd look at high-speed Internet issues, etc.

Can you tell I think this is a great problem to have?:D So much more fun than what I should be doing.:lol:

Great advice. Yes, this is a bit more interesting to me, too, than what I should be doing!:lol:

Oooo I know the answer to this one.....

Just moved back from France last year (sob sob). We lived in Aix en Provence, which is in South of France. Fantastic location - near the sea, mountains (skiing), 3 hrs to Spain, 3 hours to Italy and 20 mins drive to Marseille to catch a flight to Germany if so required. Cheap flights to England when you need an English break. On the TGV line so alot of people commute to Paris for work (or drive takes you 7 hours with alot of stops) Great area for exploring with day trips. Spent 2 years on day trips and still didn't see everything.

Friends did the Expat life and had a great time; we did the local life and had (I believe!!:tongue_smilie:) had a fantastic time. Kids went to the local school (3 & 5yr old) on Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri. School had holidays nearly every 7 weeks with a long break over summer. I often just packed up the kids and drove around Europe by myself in the holidays (Dh worked all the time).

Only negative thing is that Aix is expensive to live (house etc) but ohhh so worth it. Be back there in a shot if I could :auto:

Happy planning

Fi

It sound like you and your family had a dream adventure! That what I'm looking for, living the local life, and having lots of fun. So how would you go about finding a nice location to live?

Thanks everyone for your advice and telling me about your adventures. It helps on this dreary gray day as we wonder if this could really be possible.:tongue_smilie:

It sound like you and your family had a dream adventure! That what I'm looking for, living the local life, and having lots of fun. So how would you go about finding a nice location to live?

Thanks everyone for your advice and telling me about your adventures. It helps on this dreary gray day as we wonder if this could really be possible.:tongue_smilie:

I think the key is to decide today that you will like where ever you live.

When we moved to Brussels, we had plans to rent a house and live a modern European 'burbs life. Instead we lived in a small apartment and lived a modern urban life. I'm so glad it worked out that way...it was a great learning and living experience.

Be open to the adventure and seek the best of each situation.