Menu

Safe? Heating peanut butter?

We use the natural peanut butter that needs to be refridgerated. Dh puts the jar in the microwave and heats it (without my knowledge until now) uses it, then refridgerates it again until next time. Do you think this is okay/safe? I don't have any concrete reason why not, but am thinking it's not good.

Hit me with your expertise please!:001_smile:

We've never done it, and never had an issue. I just thought people did it to keep it from separating so quickly. It is awfully hard to spread cold. Of course a jar never lasts longer than two weeks at our house, tops.

A really handy hint for storing is to store unopened jars upside down. Much easier to get it mixed the first time as the air pocket is at the bottom.

We use the natural peanut butter that needs to be refridgerated. Dh puts the jar in the microwave and heats it (without my knowledge until now) uses it, then refridgerates it again until next time. Do you think this is okay/safe? I don't have any concrete reason why not, but am thinking it's not good.

Hit me with your expertise please!:001_smile:

Well, how long has he been doing this? Has anyone gotten sick so far? If the answer to the 1st question is "a long time" and the answer to the 2nd question is "no," then I'd say based on the evidence, it is okay.

It's your own little science experiment, with your dh as the researcher, and the rest of the family as guinia pigs, so to speak. :)

We've never done it, and never had an issue. I just thought people did it to keep it from separating so quickly. It is awfully hard to spread cold. Of course a jar never lasts longer than two weeks at our house, tops.

A really handy hint for storing is to store unopened jars upside down. Much easier to get it mixed the first time as the air pocket is at the bottom.

Thanks for the storage tip. We've found a good organic pb that doesn't separate, but it's not always in stock.

I have a hard time spreading it cold too.