Menu

Help! My brown rice always turns out gummy. Please tell me how to cook it.

Hm. What kind of brown rice is it? Short grain rice can be sticky by nature. Long grain or basmati will be more fluffy. Are you brining the water to a full boil before turning it down to simmer? I also always check the bottom of the pot before turning the rice off - if there's a bit of water still not absorbed in the bottom, I leave it on another 5 minutes.

I put 2 c. brown rice, 4 c. water, & 2 tsp salt in pot and simmer 45 minutes. But it always turns out sticky. What am I doing wrong?

I'm sensing a few potential problems.

First, I too want to know what kind of rice you are using?

Two. If you know how much rice and (especially water) you are using I'm betting you are not washing the rice? Correct?

You need to clean the rice. Get a big bowl. Put in the rice, run water in get you fingers in there moving it all around and slop any cloudy water out into the sink. Continue until the water is clear.

Now you can cook it , but better yet (if you've pre-planned) let it soak over-night like you would with beans. If your in a hurry go ahead, but an overnight soak is better.

When it's time to cook, drain reasonably well. Put it in the cooking pot. Then add some water (just cover the rice). Take your index finger and stick it down through the rice to the bottom of the pot . Then slide your thumb down your finger until it hits the top of the rice (leveled).

With your thumb "locked" in place (relative to your finger) lift your index finger up to the top of the leveled rice. Where your thumb "mark" is now is where you want your water level to be. Clear?

No salt!

Three. What kind of pot are you using? A heavy pot with a heavy lid that keeps steam from escaping or a thin cheap pot with a lid that allows too much steam to escape.

Life is too short for mushy brown rice, but we can fix this :001_smile:

Bill

Hmm. I always just dump 2 cups of water in for every cup of rice, altogether. Then I bring the water to a boil, cover it, turn it down to about 2 on my electric stove, maybe between 2 and 3, and leave covered to simmer for 45 minutes. This is a bit hotter than I used to use with white rice for the simmer. This works quite well for either 1 or 2 cups of rice.

So, no washing, no soaking, no salt, no really special pot. I get whichever brown rice in the bag at the grocery on sale:)--usually Comet or Mahatma. I do avoid the Uncle Ben's as it's a bit odd for some reason---sort of semitranslucent, which makes me think it has been processed in some way as it looks quite different than the other types of brown rice. I know I don't have as much luck with it. A friend gave us a rice cooker, but honestly I prefer making it on the stove as I think it turns out better (and is certainly less hassle).

If I try to do 3 cups rice/6 cups of water sometimes things get iffy and it may get a bit gummy. My typical pot is a Visions glass one, though sometimes I use the Martha Stewart pot (I think it's stainless) with glass lid that we got at Kmart to replace our old popcorn pot that died. Perhaps you need to use a bit larger pot? I think that may be my issue with the larger amounts of rice.

thanks to the OP for asking!

I never thought to rinse well my brown rice, though I did know to soak it. I'll give it a thorough rinsing next time.

Spy Car Bill, you are just downright funny. Life is indeed too short for mushy brown rice (and kids that gripe about eating it that way...).