Menu

Dear Credit Card Customer Service Rep...

Telling me how stupid it is to pay off my debt and close out your incredibly high interest rate account AND not shutting up for two seconds so I can not get a word in making me yell over you will not make me keep the stupid account open...What part of we are keeping one credit account open and it is not with you do you not understand.....:rant:

Thank you...I had no one to vent to....

That is all.

I told her that I was *not* going to allow her to give me financial counseling, and that no matter what her procedures said, she was required to close the account as soon as I said, "Close the account."

She didn't listen to me, and tried to keep "selling" me, so I put the phone down, without hanging up. Four minutes later, I picked it up, and she was gone. An hour later, I checked back, and the account was listed as closed.

It took me at least two glasses of port to relax after that one. I was so unbelievably livid.

I didn't have a customer service rep who aggressively tried to sell me, but when I called to cancel my card (it was paid off), the CSR asked me why I didn't want to keep the card. I said, "Because we don't like debt, and don't want to have any more debt, so we're not using credit cards anymore." Silence. Apparently the CSR wasn't expecting that answer, and didn't know what to say.

Wendi

Isn't it incredible?

I think this is their new MO.

Before our last move, I called to cancel 4 different accounts with 2 major credit co.s and 2 chain stores. One did as I requested quickly and quietly with just a brief phrase of regret that they were losing my business. All the rest launched into the hard sell, financial counselling mode. Very off-putting and I told them so. grrr.

I told her that I was *not* going to allow her to give me financial counseling, and that no matter what her procedures said, she was required to close the account as soon as I said, "Close the account."

She didn't listen to me, and tried to keep "selling" me, so I put the phone down, without hanging up. Four minutes later, I picked it up, and she was gone. An hour later, I checked back, and the account was listed as closed.

It took me at least two glasses of port to relax after that one. I was so unbelievably livid.

I like that! That's funnier than just hanging up. :lol: I suppose I could always put my 2 yo on the phone with them. She'd probably talk as much as they did.

LOL, I hear ya! Why is it, do you think, that people believe they can spout utter nonsense at you? But you have no right to defend yourself from it or even attempt to point out that they are sputtering nonsense?

I stopped to pick up my son yesterday from a drama class - in the loading/unloading zone that has been in the same spot for all of the ten years we've been going there. A traffic ticket guy pulled up immediately and tried, over the objections of myself, and the two theatre directors, to argue that "you can drop off, but you can't pick up". He said this over and over and OVER again - until I finally said, "Sooooooo, we're supposed to drop off our children and never return to pick them up? How would that work out?"

He finally did give up and drive away without leaving a ticket. But his parting words were that he would have been happy to be nice and not give me a ticket, if only "we" hadn't felt the need to be "rude" to him. Rude? RUDE? HUH?

I think my new line is going to be, "Excuse me if my perplexity at your utter assassinity (is that a word?) appears rude. I assure you I have no other intent than to attempt to understand what the H*** you're talking about....."

Thank you for the understanding. Thank you for putting up with my poor sentence structure, total lack of punctuation and nonsense spewing.

Now that my blood is not boiling I think I may be able to make sense again.

Credit card companies are horrible. This particular one would suck the blood out of consumers veins if given half a chance. I am so glad we are finally out of debt.

Where is a vampire smiley when you need one??

Edited by runninmommy
edited b/c I forgot how to spell....

Thank you for the understanding. Thank you for putting up with my poor sentence structure, total lack of punctuation and nonsence spewing.

Now that my blood is not boiling I think I may be able to make sense again.

Credit card companies are horrible. This particular one would suck the blood out of consumers veins if given half a chance. I am so glad we are finally out of debt.

Where is a vampire smiley when you need one??

Did she tell you you're not doing your part for the economy if you close it? I loved that line when they told me that a month ago. Seriously, I'm the reason the banks are in trouble and losing money. :glare:parisites

Your credit card person also has a job at Direct TV. Instead of cancelling my service as requested they tried to sell me a more expensive package. Ummm... no thanks. Then insisted on telling me what a GREAT deal it was. Meantime, I was online looking at there site and pointed out they gave brand new customers better deals then they were offering me. :001_smile: Finally silence. Needless to say the Direct TV is off. Still trying to convince the others satallite tv is a want not a NEED!

Paying the cards off is wonderful, but I heard canceling cards lowers your credit rating because it lowers your debt to credit ratio or something like that. (Suzie Orman)

That's what I'd always heard too. Not that we have many credit lines or anything, but I left the furniture line open so that helps our ratio. We just paid off my credit card (yay!) and unless there is a true emergency we don't plan on using it again. We should be able to pay his off soon, a few months at the latest especially with tax returns coming in. Then we will just have vehicle and mortgage.

....unfortunately for us, my DH was laid off from his real career and the only thing that he could find locally is with a credit card company. They have a HUGE call center about 2 miles from us, they have good benefits, 4 day work week, and they hired him. He works there until he finds something better, so we can finanicially float.

Yes, he will repeatedly try to "save" your cancellation. Yes, he will try to "sell" you things. Hopefully, he will not yell at you, but has been known to be sarcastic to rude customers.

But guess what, that is his job (not the sarcastic part :). He gets rated on how many "offers" he does. He gets rated on alot of things he may do on the call, the things that annoy you. He is just doing his job. He is happy to have a job at all in this economy, although he HATES the job. He is just a person. Bet alot of those other people at the companies you mention are the same.

Other people's shoes.

K

This is why I wrote a letter instead of calling. :glare:

Me too! They can't argue with a letter and I don't have to listen to anything. It does the job.

....unfortunately for us, my DH was laid off from his real career and the only thing that he could find locally is with a credit card company. They have a HUGE call center about 2 miles from us, they have good benefits, 4 day work week, and they hired him. He works there until he finds something better, so we can finanicially float.

Yes, he will repeatedly try to "save" your cancellation. Yes, he will try to "sell" you things. Hopefully, he will not yell at you, but has been known to be sarcastic to rude customers.

But guess what, that is his job (not the sarcastic part :). He gets rated on how many "offers" he does. He gets rated on alot of things he may do on the call, the things that annoy you. He is just doing his job. He is happy to have a job at all in this economy, although he HATES the job. He is just a person. Bet alot of those other people at the companies you mention are the same.

Other people's shoes.

K/quote/

Oh, believe me, I do understand. I even told the woman, "look, I know you are just doing your job and I don't want to be rude I just need you to cancel my card." I was not rude to her until she was condescending and being ridiculous.

I use to be a telemarketer and worked in a call center. I have been in similar shoes, I understand what it's like to "deal" with difficult and rude people.

At the same time, I will not stand to be bullied, lectured, treated like a simpleton or not given a chance to speak. What ever happened to customer service?

I hope your husband can find a job in his field soon. That has got to be stressful for your whole family and exhausting for him.

Edited by runninmommy