Menu

Deconstructing Penguins -vs- Classics in the Classroom

Country Girl

They are somewhat at odds, and there's not substantial overlap. I find Penguins' approach to be formulaic; while it seems to encourage open ended discussion, it also gives the impression that there are a narrow range of "right" answers to some questions and the hope is that with enough discussion, students will come to realize this. Classics in the Classroom takes a step back from this. While MCT argues that literary terminology is important, he views it as a means rather than an end. Here's a quote from Classics in the Classroom:

[Authors] do not write [books] hoping to be STUDIED. They write their books in rich, resonant, self-interpreting language, and this language is to be folded back on the book. With care. Each book is designed to open itself. [Followed by examples.]

What is gained by asking if Holden Caulfield is a protagonist? I do think that such terms should be part of what students learn, but we need not deceive ourselves that such helpful concepts are the path to enlightenment. That path is left by the author within the book, and if we do not make ourselves transparent and take the author's path, then it is pointless to look for external assistance in understanding the book.

Not familiar with Classics, but Deconstructing is a series of chapters, with each chapter written as more of a transcript of how the authors led the book for that month of the book club (the background they gave on the book and then the questions to lead the discussion in a direction), and the responses from the parents and children in the book club.

I found Deconstructiing interesting as an *example* of what one way a book discussion can look like, and specifically how the discussion looked for a handful of selected books. But it is not the resource I would choose for a guide as to how to lead book discussions, and it is certainly not intended (nor easily adapted to be used) as a classroom or homeschool program.

I'd say Deconstructing is a good one-time library check-out read, but probably not a purchase item. Just my 2 cents worth! Warmly, Lori D.

Not familiar with Classics, but Deconstructing is a series of chapters, with each chapter written as more of a transcript of how the authors led the book for that month of the book club (the background they gave on the book and then the questions to lead the discussion in a direction), and the responses from the parents and children in the book club.

I found Deconstructiing interesting as an *example* of what one way a book discussion can look like, and specifically how the discussion looked for a handful of selected books. But it is not the resource I would choose for a guide as to how to lead book discussions, and it is certainly not intended (nor easily adapted to be used) as a classroom or homeschool program.

I'd say Deconstructing is a good one-time library check-out read, but probably not a purchase item. Just my 2 cents worth! Warmly, Lori D.

I haven't seen or heard of the other book, but I stumbled across Deconstructing Penguins at our library and read it. I took it off my "want" list afterwards. Good read! Nice ideas. But I don't need to own a copy because I can't see needing to refer to it. Now, TWTM book.......that one I refer to over and over again. Penguins, not.

I generally refer back to Classics in the Classroom at least once a year. Much of it is motivational. His program suggestions are for a middle school/high school classroom. But there are specific suggestions on how to do literature with students. I like to read it over when I am planning each year to help refine my focus and not let myself be pulled by a specific curriculum rather than my goals for the future.

I checked Deconstructing Penguins out of the library. I didn't feel like I got as much out of it as others seem to. I think the WTM and WEM are more beneficial as far as questions to ask, etc.

A friend and I have just finished going through "Teaching the Classics" (available through IEW) and enjoyed it (although just reading the book would probably suffice, we laughed about the video quality a great deal). While on the "literature analysis" kick, I borrowed Deconstructing Penguins from the library and am about 1/2 way through it. I have to say, I'm finding it an interesting read, but not as helpful for teaching from. They discuss different books using different lenses (antagonist/protagonist, setting, etc.) My big issue with this is: how do I know which lens to use for which book? TTC looked at all characteristics for each book/story and I found that helpful, but emphasizing one to solve the problem annoys me. I also find the worldview of DP to be kind of annoying, but I could look past it if the book were more helpful.

I hadn't heard of Classics in the Classroom before; I'll have to check it out!

Thank you everyone for the replies. I actually already have Teaching the Classics and really like it, but feel like I need all the help I can get in this department. I think this is especially true as I'm trying to gear TtC down to my ds's level.

From what I have read, it seems like Penguins is more for youngers but it doesn't really sound quite like what I was looking for and wanting. I think Classics in the Classroom sounds a bit more like what I want (I just love the quote you posted nmoira, MCT really has great stuff).

WEM was mentioned too.... I haven't read this one but would it help with ideas for lit analysis for youngers? Or would it at least help me wrap my brain around lit analysis a bit more?

Thanks!