Menu

Vocabulary - when to start and what you use

spicejenmom

Hi! I have a 3rd and 1st grader and was wondering what everyone uses for vocabulary and when they start. We are currently or going to be using First Language Lessons, Writing with Ease, Spelling Connections, and Vocabulary Cartoons.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!:001_smile:

Thanks,

Jenny

I found Wordly Wise 3000 and I am fairly happy. That being said I have a workbook-y kind of dd so it's a good fit. I know already it won't be for DS. I can't say that I see it increasing her actual vocabulary but she is understanding more words and it also covers reading comprehension in it's lessons and I like that. My biggest issue was where to start her, as a lot of the words from book two she knew, but a lot she didn't. We ended up starting in book 2. I am going to do something differnt with ds, he loves new words. I am thinking maybe just a word of the week or something....

Hi! I have a 3rd and 1st grader and was wondering what everyone uses for vocabulary and when they start. We are currently or going to be using First Language Lessons, Writing with Ease, Spelling Connections, and Vocabulary Cartoons.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!:001_smile:

Thanks,

Jenny

Ds started Vocabulary from Classical Roots A in grade 5.

We've been using the Vocabulary in Action series from Loyola Press since third grade. It's not great, but it's better than all the others I looked at. And my son seems to enjoy it. We're almost done with level C. We skip some of the problems -- I just have my son do the synonyms, antonyms, and review quizzes. We also do Latin (Lively Latin has a lot of vocabulary and word roots study) and word roots (Roots of English, from Memoria Press).

We use MCT Building Language, but I also get spelling words for her and when "quiz" time comes, she needs to spell the word correctly as well as give an example of it's proper use. We don't use insanely hard ones, because although she is a crack-speller, she doesn't "get" a lot of the definitions, yet. So, we kind of meet in the middle. I don't really think a formal curriculum is necessary for vocabulary, though. But that's me!

Our kids have enjoyed BJU Spelling workbooks through 6th grade and then ABeka through 12th. The workbooks are big on vocabulary. We also work through all the Vocabulary from Classical Roots books. The kids enjoyed Wordly Wise at first, but became bored with the repetition. I've got kids that read the dictionary for fun :)

We will begin Latin vocabulary with our oldest next school year (6th grade) but with our next child we will begin this in 3rd grade. We begin history and science vocabulary in 5th grade by requiring our child to write definitions for words that he is not familiar with. We use the words in bold in the Apologia elementary series and the weekly vocabulary list in TOG.

Using Vocabulary Cartoons this year w/ my 5th & 2nd graders. They love it. 2nd grader just listens & helps make up sentences using the new words. 5th grader copies them into her vocabulary notebook. For us, it has been fun, fast, easy... and it works.

I also have English from the Roots Up. We haven't used it lately, but I'll pull it out again soon & add it in also.

Imo, reading & discussing things *a lot* are also great vocabulary builders.

I had never heard of Vocabulary Cartoons...I just looked it up, pretty hilarious (my dh asked what I was laughing about)! I don't think I will ever forget the one they had as an example for pontentate nor the one for for cower...lol:lol:...I have to get these for my home library, my kids would love it! (kind of in the vein of TheFarSide Cartoons?) ...neat...

I had never heard of Vocabulary Cartoons...I just looked it up, pretty hilarious (my dh asked what I was laughing about)! I don't think I will ever forget the one they had as an example for pontentate nor the one for for cower...lol:lol:...I have to get these for my home library, my kids would love it! (kind of in the vein of TheFarSide Cartoons?) ...neat...

They're very fun & they are available for different levels. Right now, we're using the one for elementary level. (I think these are probably especially great for visual learners.)

I just looked up vocabulary cartoons, too.

oooh, ouch. The pictures and sentences are hilarious, but I cringe when I see something like this:

AMBLE

(AM ble) v.

to walk slowly; walk

with a leisurely gate

Sounds like: CAMEL

and does this "definition" make sense, or is there a typo?

SCAMPER

(SCAM pur) v.

to run; to go hastily of lightly

Sounds like: HAMPER

• 1 year later...

There are quizzes after so many words. I made my daughter study the words several times and then take the quiz. Honestly I don't know how much she retained, but she really enjoyed it. We are looking into more in depth now so we are switching to Wordly Wise which seems to have more study of roots and prefixes included. It also fits my need for more independant work for my kids.