Menu

Fun, interactive, hands-on, multisensory type curricula? (4th)

Greta

While I am very "left-brained" and do wonderfully with worksheets and textbooks and such, I am realizing that this approach hasn't served my daughter well. She is "right-brained", very creative, and possibly has ADD.

RightStart Math has always worked well for her, so we're set for math. She's also enjoying SOTW for History and Latin Prep for Latin, so no need to fix what isn't broken.

But for other subject areas,especially Language Arts, I really could use some help. How can you teach grammar in a more "right-brained" way??? Very recently she has developed an interest in writing, so I definitely want to go with that. I'm hearing good things about IEW.

Also, any suggestions for a hands-on secular science program? We're using BFSU right now, but we'll be done with it soon, and I'm not sure when the next level is coming out. Something that could be used in a co-op type setting would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

Edited by GretaLynne

Oh, also Geography. I like the map work in SOTW, but I think she could use more. I remember hearing years ago about a drawing-based geography program, and that would definitely be her thing. Does anyone know the name of it by any chance?

Edited by GretaLynne

Lapbooking is great for these kinds of children.

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/Lapbooks_at_HSS.php

This is a great site for ideas to get started. You can do lapbooks on grammar, math, all kinds of science topics, geography, literature, etc.

If you check out my blog we have pictures of some of the stuff we have done.

I also like this site for ideas : http://www.schoolexpress.com/

It is fairly easy to use the information from that site and the templates from here: http://www.homeschoolshare.com/lapbooking_resources.php

and make a simple lapbook. Scroll down to the bottom and it will tell you what you can use for how many pieces of information you are wanting to write down.

I like the lapbooks because they are fun to make (I do the cutting and folding), some writing but not a worksheet or workbook and they can look at them over and over and over again to be reexposed to the information.

Good luck.:001_smile:

Grammar: My plan is to use Writing Tales. It covers quite a bit of grammar, and uses games for some of it. Some of the lesson samples have things in them that don't show up in the Scope & Sequence. It is a fun program perfect for hands on learners, which is one reason why I am choosing it. I have not seen another grammar program that has hands on active lessons. At the bottom of this blog you can see the first three days of WT 1 (you would want WT2) and towards the top there is a review.

Geography: Draw Write Now has two books that have lessons on drawing the continents. Books 7 & 8. drawyourworld.com

Winterpromise has a geography teaching resource for middlers called Draw your World (which is not draw write now). It is in their catalog, but I cannot find it on their website. You could get their catalog so that you can check it out.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Thank you, ladies, for the help! Christy the lapbooks are a great suggestion. She has really enjoyed the few that we have done. I should make them a bigger part of our curriculum. She seems to need plenty of review, so making them and then looking back at them when they're done is a wonderful way to review!

Thank you LadyAberlin and Carmen for the recommendations as well. I will definitely look into those! I did not know that WT includes games in their program. Thanks for mentioning that. She really seems to learn well with games. They are a big part of our mathematics, and I think that's why she likes math so much and has learned it so well. Do you think I would want to start her with WT2 if we have never done any sort of formal writing program before, and her only grammar study has been through our Latin course? (Though I must say, she has picked up on the grammar in our Latin study very well. When we tried "isolated" grammar for a short time, she hated it. But when it's part of understanding how to translate properly from English to Latin and vice versa, she really "gets it" and enjoys it!)

It seems like the geography I was thinking of had "heart" in the name as well. I'll google and see if I can figure it out. But I will also check into the one you mentioned.

Thanks again!

You might find this Yahoo group of interest: homeschoolingcreatively.

Here's part of the description on the home page:

"This group was first created in response to those attending my (Cindy G.) right-brained child workshops at the IL In-Home conference. I prefer the term "creative learner" to describe the child for which this group will focus.

This list is a place where we can come to understand and give value to our creative children as we home/unschool with them.

If your child is interested in and has a talent for drawing, music, theater, computers, video games or building things, this may be the group for you."

Regards,

Kareni