Menu

Is anyone willing to give me some smashed finger advice?

Should I take ds3 to the doctor or not?  

1. 1. Should I take ds3 to the doctor or not?

• Yes.
    • No.

Last night at Judo, ds3 got his finger caught in a folding chair and it was smashed really well. The tip of his middle finger, up to the first joint (and barely including it). It bruised immediately and he's going to lose his nail. This morning it's still hurting quite a bit, the redness, bruising and swelling goes up to the first joint (and a hair past), and he doesn't want to make a fist and bend the first joint.

Is this something I need to haul him (and his 4 brothers) into the doctor for? Or do you think it's a watch and wait kind of thing?

I'd take him in.

My kids have smashed fingers pretty badly and I didn't take them in, but if it's still swollen and painful I'd get it checked out to rule out reparable damage. yeah, i know..."and his 4 brothers"... i feel your pain, lol! I think you could wait till after the inauguration tho if you were planning on watching ;)

good luck!

I'd say ice it, splint it (you can get those at the drug store), Tylenol for pain, and wait to see. If the ice doesn't help with the swelling and pain, call the doctor's office and speak to a nurse.

Dd smashed the tip of her forefinger in a door and I took her in. The doctor told me to ice it, he put on a splint and said Tylenol for pain.

DH would tell you drill a hole in it and release the pressure of the blood.

He's a pro at the smashing finger thing..... his boss suffered for 3 days before having DH dill a hole for him. Immediate relief!

::shiver:: my dad did that once.... he made me sit nearby in case he, uh, missed and i had to call 911, lol...... it worked out tho. ugh.

DH would tell you drill a hole in it and release the pressure of the blood.

He's a pro at the smashing finger thing..... his boss suffered for 3 days before having DH dill a hole for him. Immediate relief!

My great aunt Pat did that once for my sister - she just heated up the end of a paper clip with a lighter (gotta love that smoking generation - do you live near Astrid?) and poked a hole through her nail. Blood spurted out into my grandfather's coffee - TMI, I know, but that's how much pressure was under there.

I'd probably take the child in (with the other 4) because I'm just that paranoid.