Menu

Anyone have a frontloading washing machine? Or a squeaky bed?

WASHING MACHINE -Our washing machine area is upstairs. We bought a Bosh frontloader when we moved into this house. I dont know if it is supposed to vibrate as much as it does. We put foam padding underneath, but I am sure, in time, the vibrations will cause cracks in the downstairs ceilings.

Do you have a frontloader, does it sound like helicopters are landing, if so, what do you do about it?

BTW, the store we bought it from says there is nothing wrong with it.

SQUEAKY BED - its on a wood frame, undergirded with a metal frame. It squeeks even when we roll over, its driving me crazy@#*(! There really isnt anything to tighten - what to do?? Could it just be a squeeky box spring thing???

Any advice or ideas appreciated!

There's nothing wrong with the washer; what you are describing is normal if you mean that it vibrates during the spin cycle. We have LG Tromms, and we just moved them upstairs to the 1st floor from the basement. We notice the vibration now during spin...never did when they were on the cement floor. Our manual suggested putting in a hardwood or other very sturdy floor; we did this and it still vibrates, though I'm sure it would be worse without the hardwood.

ETA: the foam padding might actually make things worse...I'd try hardwood or heavy ceramic tile

Ria

Do you have a frontloader, does it sound like helicopters are landing, if so, what do you do about it?

Yes, it sounds like a Dolphine landing. I make a mental note that it's almost done. I do recall from my (LG) installation manual that they recommend either installing on a ground-level (cement) floor or using 3/4" plywood under the machine if it's on an upper floor, to offset the vibration. I assume you would put that under the spill pan.

No idea about the squeaky bed. Ours squeaks in the most dramatic way if you roll over. If you're jumping on it, it doesn't. Weird.

agreed!

We have a Kenmore. It's sitting on cement flooring, and not even on a pedestal. It still sounds like a freight train is coming through our house. lol! :D

I think it's just because it spins soo hard. *shrugs*

Could your boxspring be broke? I have no idea. All I know is that we described our own issue to an employee at a mattress store, and she said our problem wasn't the mattress it was the box spring. HA! Kids have jumped on it one too many times. ;) hehe.

Yes, it sounds like a Dolphine landing. I make a mental note that it's almost done. I do recall from my (LG) installation manual that they recommend either installing on a ground-level (cement) floor or using 3/4" plywood under the machine if it's on an upper floor, to offset the vibration. I assume you would put that under the spill pan.

No idea about the squeaky bed. Ours squeaks in the most dramatic way if you roll over. If you're jumping on it, it doesn't. Weird.

Thats weird that one would put something harder rather than softer, but we will do this too!

I am a bit relieved to hear that we are not the only ones with LOUD appliances.

Noise and mildew smell are the top two complaints with Front loaders. Noise was a huge issue for me because our washing machine is in our bathroom and all three bedrooms are within a few feet of it. So it needed to be reasonable quiet because I frequently toss a load in right before bed. After researching, what I learned was that front loaders were designed to be installed on cement floors. When you put them on a wood floor (which is basically anything not in your basement), the floor has more give and the machine will bounce and vibrate. I only know 3 people with front loaders and everyone of them complains about noise and "walking".

After much researching, I found out the Samsung with vibration reduction technology(VRT) was "suppose" to be quieter and was the only manufacturer who said it was designed for second floor installation. Of course I couldn't find anyone with personal experience but I gambled anyway. I LOVE my Samsung. It vibrates for about 10-15 seconds when the spinning first starts and then the VRT takes over and is quiet. And it NEVER walks the floor.

So while I'm not experiencing the noise, from my research and the few people I know who have them, what you are describing sounds very normal for the machine.

We have a kenmore Elite front loading washer and yes it does rattle things up a bit. We talked to the company and what they said was that the washer and dryer need to be on solid ground. What that means is that if its on the second floor then you need to put it on the first floor. If the first floor was not build on a cement foundation ... crawl space ... then you need to put it somewhere where it is. We put ours in the garage.

As for the bed, I would change the box spring.

Have you tried using WD40 on connections on the metal frame part of the bed?

:lol:We have both - a frontloader and a squeaky bed.

The frontloader is vibrating a little but since it sits on cement I never have the feeling it's shaking the foundation.

The WD40 on the metal frame may be the answer to restless nights.

My folks have a front load washer and they built a wooden stand sort of thing(like a stage) for it to hold it up off the floor which has helped decrease the vibrations(their laundry room is onthe second floor). They have never had any further issues with it once my dad built this to give it solid footing and take it off the actual floor.

WASHING MACHINE -Our washing machine area is upstairs. We bought a Bosh frontloader when we moved into this house. I dont know if it is supposed to vibrate as much as it does. We put foam padding underneath, but I am sure, in time, the vibrations will cause cracks in the downstairs ceilings.

It isn't suposed to vibrate like that.

1)take out the foam padding.

2)skip the idea of 'leveling it' with a level. what matters here is not if the top of the machine is balance, but that *weight is distruted evenly between all four legs*

3)the fix is to get the machine on a spin cycle, then lay on your stomach, see which leg isn't in continuous contact and adjust from there.

Better details can be found on gardenweb. One guy wrote some awesome posts on how to do it. Very detailed step by step instructions.

:)

K