Menu

Car dilemma; A WWYD scenario...

So, I sold my Suburban in late '07. At the time I wanted a Pontiac Vibe in the worst way, but we bought a minivan because we still needed the room and seating on occasion.

This past October, my cousin put a Vibe up for sale and we sold the minivan and bought it. I knew it needed a little work and some minor cosmetic stuff done, but we got a good price and we could pay cash.

I LOVE this car! I just love the gas mileage, the size (so easy to zip in and out of places), everything. I love everything except the low profile tires, the noisiness, the bumpy ride, etc.

I feel like I am right back to square one. I don't know how it would ride if I put original tires/rims on it (my mechanic says better and not as noisy, but I KNOW it won't ever be like a heavier vehicle), and I don't know if I'm willing to risk spending the money only to find there is not enough improvement to make me happy.

At the same time, I'm 41 years old with 4 teenagers (3 drive, 2 have their own cars and the 3rd one will have her car within a few months). I don't really NEED another large vehicle, unless I just want a nicer ride.

I'm not into having a car - I just don't really like any. Most of the suv's are out of reach for us (we will only pay cash), and/or I don't want to buy the gas to fill them. But we are making a trip later this year to WDW and I hate the thought of taking 2 vehicles.

Can someone talk me off the railing here? I mean, really, how hard is it to decide what you want to drive? Give me some pros and cons to help me think this through.

I don't know the answer to your dilemma but I will say that even if I didn't have kids to haul around, I'd still have a minivan. Because of difficulties with my knees, regular cars are just too hard to get in and out of. My van reguires no stepping or bending; it's bu** height. My 85 yr old mom can get in and out without difficulty. AND I can take the back seats out and haul stuff if I need to. I really, really like my van!

I think I would deal with the frustrations of the Vibe and rent a larger vehicle for the trip to WDW. In the long run renting a larger vehicle seems like it would "pan out".

I own a Toyota Matrix, the kissing cousin of the Vibe. I don't have low profile wheels. The ride is excellant. Change your wheels.

:iagree:

Rent and put the stock stuff back on. Maybe you have a salvage yard nearby that would have the stock rims for sale cheap?

Absolutely change back to the original rims and get new tires. I can't believe the difference just new tires made on my suv in terms of noise. Check out http://www.tirerack.com/index_w.jsp for the correct tire size for the original rims and get the ones that are rated high for noise.

The reason low profiles are bumpy is they have little sidewall thus less "give" when going over bumps. They might look cool but not practical.

You may also see an improvement in gas mileage. The car/van/suv/truck is made based on the rims and tires the manufacturer designs. Changing the rims and tires changes that and can affect gas mileage, odometer reading, and speedometer readings.

But we are making a trip later this year to WDW and I hate the thought of taking 2 vehicles.

BTDT. We replaced a mini-van with a sedan a couple of years ago. We had to go out of town and I started thinking of buying another mini-van. Instead, we rented a mini-van for our one week trip. It was much less expensive to rent for a week than to buy a new vehicle!

Changing your wheels/tires can make such a difference. Years ago we had a Honda Accord that vibrated a lot. We had standard wheels but dh had Michelins put on. What a change! The car no longer vibrated when driven--the ride was smoother and quieter.

Cinder

I think I would go to a dealer and test drive a vibe with the standard rims and all to see if you like it. If you do, problem solved. Either way it answers one question for you.

Exactly, what I was coming here to say. And then rent a car when you need a bigger one. Or take 2. Honestly, with teens it may be nice to have the second car with you.

I think the idea was just to test drive a new one to see if you like the way the original tires make the car sound or feel, and then you can put those tires on your car if you like them. That is my vote too, and rent a van for WDW. A large van works better anyway for that kind of trip, especially on the way home with the extra stuff. We only have 3 kids, and we will rent a full size van for our next WDW trip even though we have a mini-van now.